FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FCO to Rome transportation options
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:02 am
ksucats

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Perche
I'd personally go with a taxi. Many people have had a car service experience of one time. An experience of onE or two is not enough data to statistically rely on. I've had one show up an hour late, and another just not show up. That's bad. I didn't have my cell service on yet to contact them. Trip to the tabbachi store to buy a phone card and call them, just to be told they are on the way. An hour later when I would have already been checked into my hotel and out and about, they show up, and the other one never showed. Two different companies highly recommend by someone else's experience of one trip.

A certified cab is always outside at the certified airport cab stop. It's a fixed 48 euro rate, plus whatever the excess bag fees and extra person fees are. No wait, no problem, and with a fixed rate they can't run up the meter. And they're not the typical dumpy USA like cab.

After my experiences with "recommended" car services I take a cab, with one exception: a car service arranged by your hotel. If they don't show they have to answer to the hotel, Who doesn't want to see you dissatisfied, and who can take their business elsewhere. The driver is not beholden to you. If they get a more attractive fare than yours they may just be a no show, and what at you going to do about it?

I'd say read up on cabs in Rome or ask your hotel to arrange one (which will cost twice as much, but if a car service is what you want, that's what I would do. I would not listen to "I used XYZ service and they were great," unless that person used them 40-50 times without a glitch. Otherwise, I'd just consider it anecdotal information.
Do all taxis take credit cards? How are they at speaking English? We will have 4 people and 4 suitcases. I am guessing we will not fit in most taxis.