A Few Days in Milan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Few Days in Milan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA
More broadly, has anyone written (or found online) a good summary of intercity rail service to/from Milan? I get that there are several stations, but it's more than a bit confusing when the whole TrenItalia vs. TreNord thing is added on top.
Both of their websites are pretty good. My understanding is that TreNord operates mostly their regional stuff around Milan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trenord) and then TrenItalia does the intercity longer distance stuff like to Roma, Venezia etc.

Most of the intercity stuff is out of Milano Centrale whereas TreNord seems to "hub" out of Garibaldi station, but that's not hard and fast--there are some fast trains from TrenItalia that go to Garibaldi.

All of their websites are pretty easy to use and there's a few smartphone apps available that list schedules as well...I suggest booking as early as you can...the prices increase pretty dramatically by departure day.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Also it's possible to buy Trenord tickets on the Trenitalia site (as far as I can tell). There are quite a few trains stations actually in Milan (see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_stations_in_Milan ) but most of these are smaller stations inside the city limits/part of the suburban rail system.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by combiblock
If I had only 3 Full days (ive allocated other days to other places)

and have to divide them between Varenna and Venice, as a first timer, Is it better to give Venice 2 days and Varenna 1 day?
Varenna is a place to chill out for a week in the summer. For short term if you won't be swimming, hiking, etc, and are just going sightseeing, then just one day in Varenna, split with Bellagio. Bellagio is a 4-5 minute ferry ride from Varenna, and both have their unique charms.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Kadence
Going to Milan February 14-21st w husband and 2 kids, 11 and 13. I planned to rent an apartment for the week ($1k for 2 BRs for 6 nights) and do day trips from Milan such as Turin, Parma, Switzerland. After reading all of the above posts I'm afraid we will be bored just doing these small trips.

Usually when we go away we switch hotels every few days but that's when we are in the US and have a car. It's the first time in Europe for my husband and kids and my first time doing the planning on my own for Europe in a non English speaking country. I didn't want to Have to drag suitcases all around Italy and worry about train schedules as well as wasting time on trains. This time we are content staying put in one place but my 13 yo is already complaining that we won't see anything famous.

Any suggestions/feedback appreciated. Is anyone interested in a meetup in Milan?

Thanks for your help, I never thought to come to FT for destination advice as I always relied on tripadvisor.
I agree with another poster, I don't see how a week in Milan will be much fun. Milan is nothing special, and the train trips you are talking about mean that you will spend most of your time either bored in Milan in the evening, and riding trains most of the day. If you want to stay in that region you might choose a better town as your base, a place with good sightseeing and great things to do, and restrict the side trips to one or two places.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by thegrailer
I am on a Wideroe fare and have two full days on the ground. I've "done" ( Milan already (I don't believe it deserves the bum rap it receives) and want to experience something else nearby. I've selected a few of your choices and would appreciate anyone to chime in with a bit more info. Right now, Turin is tops on the list. Question: is it better to drive or take the train to Turin from MXP. For the train, I'd have to go to Milan and then backtrack west to Turin (correct?). And then figuring out which train station and how to get there has been let's just say, not too much fun . Driving seems to be about 1.5H - correct? And it is a toll road(?). How is parking in Turin? Hotel suggestions or just use cash/points at a chain? There seems to be a BW or multiple HIs.

What minor towns would you suggest? I am open to all things but I don't want to drive too far; I don't want to be driving at 5 AM on my day of return to get to MXP.

I will take your advice and I will have a nice time in Italy

Cheers -
Excellent choice in Torino. Two days doesn't really leave time for side trips, so no point in leaving there. There's plenty to do in Torino. One great aspect is it is is the fourth largest city in Italy, but it is not on the tourist path. You'll get a much more authentic feel. Depending on the train, it's 2.5-3 hours from MXP. Easy trip. MXP to Milano Centrale, change trains to Torino and get off at Porta Nuova (that's the part of the city you will want to be at). There is no parking in the main areas of downtown Torino without a residence permit, or unless you are staying in a major hotel with parking. It's a walking city. You don't need transportation. They also have bike stands everywhere. You swipe a card, take a bike, leave it at a bike stand wherever you arrive at your destination. It also has a subway that is excellent if you need it.

It's a two hour drive on a toll road, you'll spend another hour lost in the city finding where you're going, and you won't be able to park once you get there, so a car is not such a good idea for just two days.

Although Torino is large, think of a box. The part of Torino you want to be at is basically within a box with borders of Corso Vittorio Emmanuele, Corso Re Umberto, Via Po, and the river Po. The train station Porta Nuova is one block outside the box at Corso Vittorio Emmanuele.

You will see lots of hotels in Torino, but if you go outside that box by even one block, it will not be very nice. That means do not stay near the train station. However, if you go just one block and cross Corso Vittorio Emmanuele and get in the box, you can stay there and you will be fine. It's a night and day difference.

The main streets to walk and city are Via Roma. It will take you through some beautiful plazas. Also, Via LaGrange one block away. Definitely walk down Via Po to the river. It ends at a wonderful plaza at the river. Walk along the river. All very gorgeous.

I stay in apartments because I'm usually there for a while. Residence LaGrange is one block inside the box from the train station on Via LaGrange. Perfect location, excellent price, if you can get it. I can't say much about the hotels, except that Hotel Principe di Piemonte (not to be confused with Principe di Torino) is very well located just off Via Roma, and looks excellent from the outside. Although I haven't stayed there, I'm sure it's excellent. The only hotel I've stayed at is Golden Palace. Well located, about 4 blocks from the main street Via Roma. Not so nice outside, but an excellent hotel on the inside.

Torino has its own excellent, regional food that you don't find elsewhere, such as bagna caudal,' etc. If you absolutely must do a side trip, heading North into Valle d'Aosta, the state right above Piemonte, will bring you into some small Alpine villages. The capital is Aosta. This is pretty rural state, and Aosta is a very small town, but you can get a train there from Porta Nuova and make it a half a day trip.

If you have one of the very early flights back out of MXP, then you should consider spending the night at the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by Perche
Excellent choice in Torino. ...
Awesome! Thank you.

Just a bit of clarification re trains. There are trains from:

MILANO P.GAR
&
MILANO C.LE

Train website.

The P.GAR (Garibaldi?) are only an hour. Is that a decent option? Transportation to P.GAR? [think I figured most of this out]

I just had a harrowing train/CDG adventure and don't want to live that again. What kind of time do I need for a plane to train and back connections. I arrive at MXP at 10:35 AM. Can I make the 11:43 AM MXP express to P.GAR arriving at 12:25 PM? And then onto the 12:45 PM P.GAR to Turin train?

Cheers -

Last edited by thegrailer; Jan 24, 2014 at 2:36 pm Reason: timing
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:57 pm

I arrive at MXP at 10:35 AM. Can I make the 11:43 AM MXP express to P.GAR arriving at 12:25 PM? And then onto the 12:45 PM P.GAR to Turin train?

Cheers -
I'd say too risky as you'll forefit your train tickets if you miss it

Heck, I leave 4 hours after landing time for my train (Milan-Florence) as I read someone's suggestion over TripAdvisor
e.g. I land at 10:30am from ZRH-MXP, and my train to Florence is 3:15pm (so I have time to enjoy Milano Centrale and eat lunch)

Last edited by jerryhung; Jan 25, 2014 at 4:48 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I'd say too risky as you'll forefit your train tickets if you miss it
Doesn't that depend on which train fare one purchases? (Or is the point that last-minute rebooking works like airline rebooking, with a steep premium and/or change fees?)
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:12 pm

Awesome! Thank you.

Just a bit of clarification re trains. There are trains from:

MILANO P.GAR
&
MILANO C.LE

Train website.

The P.GAR (Garibaldi?) are only an hour. Is that a decent option? Transportation to P.GAR? [think I figured most of this out]

I just had a harrowing train/CDG adventure and don't want to live that again. What kind of time do I need for a plane to train and back connections. I arrive at MXP at 10:35 AM. Can I make the 11:43 AM MXP express to P.GAR arriving at 12:25 PM? And then onto the 12:45 PM P.GAR to Turin train?

Cheers -
It would definitely be harrowing to land at 10:35 and try to make the 11:43. There is a 12:43, same train type as the 11:43 (Frecciarosa, the fast one) that would be more reasonable. It's theoretically possible to make it from plane to train in an hour, but too many imponderables exist. You'd have to be at the front of the plane, passport control would have to be nearly empty, and you'd have to know exactly where the train is in the airport, then make it to the right track. No checked luggage of course. I think four hours is unnecessary, but one hour is risky.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Perche
It would definitely be harrowing to land at 10:35 and try to make the 11:43. There is a 12:43, same train type as the 11:43 (Frecciarosa, the fast one) that would be more reasonable. It's theoretically possible to make it from plane to train in an hour, but too many imponderables exist. You'd have to be at the front of the plane, passport control would have to be nearly empty, and you'd have to know exactly where the train is in the airport, then make it to the right track. No checked luggage of course. I think four hours is unnecessary, but one hour is risky.
He meant the "11:43" MXP Express from MXP to Milano Centrale, not the TrenItalia train :P
I'd budget 2 hours between MXP and Milano Centrale (I think travel time is at least 40 minutes)

It depends on the train ticket type yes, but same as airline ticket, the CHEAP tickets can't be refunded/changed, and if one wants the PRICEY tickets may as well buy them at the station :P
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:18 am

He meant the "11:43" MXP Express from MXP to Milano Centrale, not the TrenItalia train :P
I'd budget 2 hours between MXP and Milano Centrale (I think travel time is at least 40 minutes)

It depends on the train ticket type yes, but same as airline ticket, the CHEAP tickets can't be refunded/changed, and if one wants the PRICEY tickets may as well buy them at the station :P
I missed that. I thought it was going to be all by train. Although it's not uncommon for trains to be late, buses get caught in traffic, while trains do not. Train is my preference, but bus is reasonable.

In this case the bus may be simpler because you buy the ticket as you board. If you miss the bus there is no lost value because you haven't paid for it yet. Since you will not know which bus you will be able to catch, this requires buying the train ticket at the station. The lines are long unless the ticket is bought at a machine. They don't take all credit cards, so it's good to have some euros ready just in case so that the transaction goes quickly. Otherwise, you can waste a lot of time buying train tickets.

There are options for the MXP Express bus to Porta Garibaldi. There are two frecciarosse bullet trains to Torino leaving at 12:45 and 1:45. Catching either the 11:43, 11:50, 12:03, and possibly even the 12:43 MXP Express bus arrives at Garibaldi in time to buy a ticket at the station for these trains.

There are also options for the MXP Express bus to Milano Centrale. Both the 11:43 and 12:43 bus arrive in time to catch the 2:05 Frecciarrossa. I guess printing out the bus and train schedules and making a choice between Garibaldi and Centrale could be made as you how long it is taking to get out of the airport, and what the best options with back ups are. It seems like MXP express to Porta Garibaldi probably is if one wants to use bus to train.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:48 pm

We have a trip to Milan scheduled for the end of March with our 10 and 8 year olds. Since this may be our last trip to Italy w/ the kids, we need to make the most of our 6 nights in country. I considered the hub and spoke plan -- using Milan as the hub and daytrippin' it from there. We've had success with that in the past in Munich. However, I think a grand circle route, via train, is the way to go here. On arrival, we'll transit that evening from Milan to Venice, where we'll spend 2 nights. Then the next morning, train it to Florence, spend the day there, and then take the train to Pisa for overnight. We'll briefly tick the box w/ the tower in the morning before heading to Cinque Terre and hiking the towns there. We'll return to Milan that evening by train. The next day we'll spend in Milan and then daytrip to Varenna on the last day before our return home. We'll transit to an airport hotel that evening for our early morning departure. At least that's my current thinking . . .
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Airfan
We have a trip to Milan scheduled for the end of March with our 10 and 8 year olds. Since this may be our last trip to Italy w/ the kids, we need to make the most of our 6 nights in country. I considered the hub and spoke plan -- using Milan as the hub and daytrippin' it from there. We've had success with that in the past in Munich. However, I think a grand circle route, via train, is the way to go here. On arrival, we'll transit that evening from Milan to Venice, where we'll spend 2 nights. Then the next morning, train it to Florence, spend the day there, and then take the train to Pisa for overnight. We'll briefly tick the box w/ the tower in the morning before heading to Cinque Terre and hiking the towns there. We'll return to Milan that evening by train. The next day we'll spend in Milan and then daytrip to Varenna on the last day before our return home. We'll transit to an airport hotel that evening for our early morning departure. At least that's my current thinking . . .
Did you also post on TripAdvisor Italy forum?

6 nights for all of that? crazy :P

I have a week in Italy in April, and I was called too rushed already for "only" doing Florence (3D2N)-Venice(2D1N)-Milan(3D2N)
Train tickets & hotel all booked

You better decide soon and buy some cheap train tickets in advance
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:03 pm

Did you also post on TripAdvisor Italy forum?
Ha! No, and I certainly didn't post that on Fodors. They probably would've banned me for heresy over there!
Old Jan 31, 2014, 1:31 am

I'm back! Had a wonderful vacation! We especially liked Bardolino and Verona, Venice flooded every morning with the water receeding by mid-morning.

The only unfortunate experience was with the train tickets I bought at raileurope.com from Venice to Milan. The train actually left from Mestre, so we had to take a train from Venice to Mestre, where I had to haul 2 big suitcases up and down the stairs between the train platforms. There is a direct train from Venice to Milan, but I was unable to change the tickets because I bought them in the US.

The extremely boring 2mph ride in the Vaporetto from VCE to Venice was disapointing, I think the bus to the Venice docks would have been a better option.

The UA EWR-MXP plane ride was excellent, 6:30' going and 9:15' coming back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.