Wiki Posts
Search

Positano Dining Help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:32 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Positano Dining Help

So we've settled on staying in Positano.. and I know that it's terribly touristy and that there probably are a derth of good authentic restaurants that aren't going to rip us off but does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

FDW
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: BA (Gold), Flying Blue (Gold), Virgin (Gold)
What time of year will you be there. We stayed at Il San Pietro last year and their restaurant was great and also had dinner at Le sirenuse which was excellent. both were not cheap options however.

One thing that worked out great was that the restaurant at Il San Pietro was used once every three weeks (June-August) to run a charity dinner night at EUR150pp with food and wine and thus worked out good value for what you got - endless Mimosas and wine for one. I believe a different Mitchelin starred restaurant from the region ran the kitchen on each occasion.

Outside of those two, we ate on the front opposite Buca di Bacco which was solid (the three sisters perhaps?)
Old Sep 28, 2013, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
We ate at Chez Black's in 2006 and it was delicious. Maybe not the best option but it's walkable to the beach and the hotels near the beach, and even our travel agent (who knows Positano well) from that trip highly recommended it.

http://www.chezblack.it/

For more "authentic" meals, take a bus or taxi to Ravello or other nearby places. Or just ask your hotelier for other suggestions...

We haven't been back to Positano only because we have chosen to explore other parts of Italia instead since... but yes, we do want to return to Positano / Capri and a lot of other parts of Amalfi Coast.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
restaurants in Positano

I second Chez Black, it's right on the beach. Up on the hill, and anyone can direct you, there is Il Saraceno another good one. You might want to take the bus to Amalfi one day. Buses are frequent and cheap, and find a restaurant there as well. Not that they are better than Positano, but my personal preference is to mix it up, and there are only so many places in Positano.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Take a look at Vincenzo's and Ristorante Mediterraneo. If you decide to try the former, let Vincenzo himself order for you.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

thanks for all the suggestions! I will definitely try Chez Black and look into the others.

FDW
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:07 pm

Was there this week. Chez black was decent.

The place on the far left (looking uphill) on the beach was horrible. $160E too. The matre'd made a big show of their fish and I settled for their raw tuna which he explained would be cooked on the outside and rare inside was served gray and pink and 125 degrees. It was neither raw nor rare.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 4:14 am

Positano

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Was there this week. Chez black was decent.

The place on the far left (looking uphill) on the beach was horrible. $160E too. The matre'd made a big show of their fish and I settled for their raw tuna which he explained would be cooked on the outside and rare inside was served gray and pink and 125 degrees. It was neither raw nor rare.
You'll eat well at Chez Black. I don't know what the place on the far left looking uphill means, because Positano is basically one big hill. You'll eat well at Saraceno also, which is quite a way up the hill. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Campania.html
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:44 pm

Covo dei Saraceni - sorry I couldn't think of it. That was the place I don't recommend.
The first floor casual place is good. The 2nd flor place was terrible.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 6:40 pm

Saracene

Covo dei Saraceni - sorry I couldn't think of it. That was the place I don't recommend.
The first floor casual place is good. The 2nd flor place was terrible.
Different places. Saracene just means Muslims in Italian, and many parts of southern Italy have a muslim name including Saraceno. There are many restaurants that have the name Saraceno, but it can't be the same one we are describing. I'm talking about a mom and pop place. You have to walk up the hill quite a way to get to it. And when you get there, there will be none but locals from the nearby Red Cross Station and other local businesses that still respect the two hour lunch. There is no second floor there.

It's just a great local restaurant with the name Saraceno in it, easy to find. It's not part of a hotel, it's not on the beach, it's up the hill. The locals eat there all the time.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:13 am

LOL we're talking about 2 places covo is on the beach. Don't go there.
Go to place perche is talking about.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K - HILTON HONORS DIAMOND
I've never had a problem with any of the restaurants in Positano. Make sure and take a look at the menu (a lot of places have them posted outside) so you know what you are getting into money wise. There is also a little market that I usually go to where they make inexpensive sandwiches perfect for lunch. It's near the beach and not hard to find.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:21 am

Positano

LOL we're talking about 2 places covo is on the beach. Don't go there.
Go to place perche is talking about.
Right, I remember the name of the restaurant I referred to now, it is Saraceno D'Oro, up on the hill, very different from the Hotel Covo Dei Saraceni, down at the beach. I've never eaten at the latter.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Positano Dining Help

Saraceno d'Oro was excellent. Good pizza. We also enjoyed our meal at Il Fornillo which is right down the road from Saraceno.

FDW
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:18 pm

Most places in Italy will charge a covor charge E1.50-6 person, capertino if I remember right. It will be on bottom of page of menu. You won't get tap water but even in the high end places they might charge 3E so it isn't expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.