Trenord Milano - Tirano

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2013, 7:44 pm
txp
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Trenord Milano - Tirano

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with the train service on the line Milano-Tirano, operated by Trenord? Do they have a first class car? Is the service clean and reliable?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:13 am
tyn

There is no 1st class car that I know of, or if there is it is so similar to 2nd class that you don't notice the difference
These are regional trains, so quite basic and heavy duty.
Cleanliness is so so, service reliable (there have been now and then interruptions due to rock slides after heavy rains as the railroad runs very close to rock face)
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:40 am
txp
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I happened to ride this on the Milan-Lecco part last week and rode first class on the way up (on the way back the newsstand where I bought the ticket only sold second class). The train was clean enough and reliable. Second class was a bit more crowded.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:15 pm
txp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ckendall
I happened to ride this on the Milan-Lecco part last week and rode first class on the way up (on the way back the newsstand where I bought the ticket only sold second class). The train was clean enough and reliable. Second class was a bit more crowded.
Thanks. I thought it had one first class car per train, on most trains. I will be riding it to connect w/ Bernina Express in Tirano. Should be fun!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:02 am

Old thread but maybe more useful information...
I’m sitting in the 10:20 from Milan to Tirano right now and I bought a First Class ticket. It was 35E return in Trainline.com.

The train is very quiet and the First Class is just a raised area from standard with bigger seats. You get a power socket in first or standard class so I probably wouldn’t pay for First on this service if I was travelling again. Perhaps it’s busier in the Summer, not sure.

Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I catch these trains often. There is definitely first class and second class. As usual there is very little difference between them.
Between Milano Centrale and Tirano there are Express trains that only stop at the main stations (Lecco, Varenna etc) and all stations trains that take considerably longer. The express train Milano Centrale to Tirano takes about 2 1/2 hours and they run every hour or two.
The running stock traditionally has been quite old with heaters (for the freezing winters) but no air conditioners. They have steps at every door so are a bit of a chore for those with luggage.
Thankfully these are being replaced with modern air conditioned trains with less steps and many more options for storing luggage. Also TV screens showing your location, speed, connections and ads.
Tip. If heading North (Milano to Tirano) sit on the left for wonderful views of Lake Como.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
I can confirn that new Trenord local trains are in operation around Milan and Lombardy, with brand new comfortable carriages (air conditioned and CCTV security) and first class areas.
From Tirano you can take than the Swiss trains to St. Moritz and Davos through panoramic views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.