Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Trains in Italy and the timetable change

Old Mar 16, 19, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Just wondering because some of the seats (low cost) say sold out but they just opened up the summer schedule. What gives? Do they go lower?
Do I wait or you think i should book now? I am going from Venice to Naples. Also what is the train station code for Rome?

June 19th
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
Originally Posted by yolie View Post
Just wondering because some of the seats (low cost) say sold out but they just opened up the summer schedule. What gives? Do they go lower?
Do I wait or you think i should book now? I am going from Venice to Naples. Also what is the train station code for Rome?

June 19th

They sell out really fast. People literally sit and wait for their day to open. It is crazy.
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Thatís insane! Lol. It just opened yesterday.
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:52 am

The two stations where high speed trains stop are Roma Termini (largest station) and Roma Tiburtina. There are many more stations, but only "low speed" interregional, regional and local trains stop there.
Old Mar 16, 19, 12:29 pm

There are also two train options Italotreno and trainitalia we booked with the first one, got better prices and time options.
Old Mar 17, 19, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm
I am looking for Rome - Bari at the end of June. Still not open. Booking is available only up to first week of June.

Meanwhile I noticed other routes are open. For example, Rome - Firenze you can book tickets up to first week of December.
Old Mar 17, 19, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by poohhead80 View Post
I am looking for Rome - Bari at the end of June. Still not open. Booking is available only up to first week of June.

Meanwhile I noticed other routes are open. For example, Rome - Firenze you can book tickets up to first week of December.

I found opening dates were not all the same, I basically would check every morning. It is like playing the lottery.
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:29 pm

For Rome-Bari in June, you may be seeing, as I am, only one train showing, an Intercity. Don't conclude that it will stay that way: there should eventually be a similar number of daily trains as there is for tomorrow.
Old Mar 20, 19, 2:48 am

People from north Italy come back home in south Italy in the summer ehehehe
Old Apr 21, 19, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Hello everyone.
Long distance trains in Italy, operated by Trenitalia or Italo, are opened to sales up to three months before departure date.
Reservation is required for Frecce trains, Intercity, Night trains and International trains (to France, Switzerland, Germany and Austria).

If you need more infos, please be free to ask!
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways, FlyDubai
First of all, Roma station Code is XRJ.
Second of all, in the summer of 2018, I went to Italy with my wife and, after landing in Bergamo Airport, we had to decide how to get to Mantova (it's close to Verona). After checking prices for buses and trains, I discovered that both ave very expensive in Italy. Actually, we ended up paying less for a rental car than for a train (2 people round trip would have got us to approx 450 euros), while the car was approx 300.

Last edited by l'etoile; Apr 22, 19 at 4:31 pm Reason: Rule 7
Old Apr 22, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Originally Posted by jitaruvictor View Post
Second of all, in the summer of 2018, I went to Italy with my wife and, after landing in Bergamo Airport, we had to decide how to get to Mantova (it's close to Verona). After checking prices for buses and trains, I discovered that both ave very expensive in Italy. Actually, we ended up paying less for a rental car than for a train (2 people round trip would have got us to approx 450 euros), while the car was approx 300. I have some tips about this and links to sites I used to book the car and accommodation, if interested, on my website (victorjitaru.com). Please feel free to leave an opinion about what you read there. Thanks, and I hope I helped. All the best!
Just a question; when I go to trenitalia it shows me train fares from Bergamo to Mantova (changing in Milano Lambrate or elsewhere) around 11-14 Euros each way. Two people round trip maybe 60 Euros (including the Bergamo airport to train bus). For 450 Euros you could bring a soccer team, or am I missing something?
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:07 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Unfortunately from Bergamo to Mantova there are nearly only regional trains and this is a very short distance!
So, if market prices are applied to long distance train tickets (Frecciarossa, Frecciargento, Intercity e.g.), for local and commuter trains there are Km-prices, quite low.
However, enjoy your trip, both cities are historical and very charming: don't miss "Palazzo Te" in Mantova!
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:18 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, FlyDubai
Sorry for the late answer, but the 5 comments/24 hours limit stood in the way...
After you replied to my comment, I started thinking and, after a brain-storming session with my wife I realized I made a mistake: the issue with the huge prices came up when we wanted to travel from Paris to Lyon. Really sorry for the confusion.
Old Apr 24, 19, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Thanks that makes sense; I have traveled Paris/Lyon a few times and prices vary widely depending on the situation.

Search this Thread