Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Linate to Malpensa in the evening

Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

I have a 4.5 hour transit (1815 arrival at Linate, 2250 departure from Malpensa) coming up in Milan next Monday.

The last direct bus from Linate to Malpensa leaves around 1635 according to the Malpensa Shuttle website, so it looks like I will have to transit through Centrale.

Any alternatives to the above? Am I better off trying for the 2025 Malpensa Express train from Centrale (arriving Malpensa at 2117) or sticking with the Malpensa Shuttle bus at that time of day?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: M&M FTL, FB Gold
I would take the train purely for comfort. However time wise it will make no difference next Monday, especially at your time, as Milan is nearly empty with everyone on/near/heading towards the beach.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
4.5 hours should be do-able except for possibility of delays.

If you've definitely missed the last direct bus from LIN to MXP then knowing these airports and transport options fairly well, personally the alternatives I would have in mind would be:

- check out how much a taxi would cost direct from LIN to MXP. I believe there are fixed rates for this. Depending on how many of you are travelling it might not even be too bad. For some reason I have a figure of somewhere between 75 and 130 euros in mind.

- Linate is very close to Milan itself. There are coaches running to Centrale costing a few Euro, also a local bus 73 much cheaper going to San Babila (for others making trips to Milan: this is near enough to Duomo if you can walk a short distance with your luggage btw). San Babila Metro station is 150 yards away from where the 73 stops so you can use the metro to get places from there. A taxi costs disproportionately for the short distance from Linate to Centrale or Cadorna (see below for why Cadorna). But could be worth it if you are late. The only problem is possible queues at the airport for taxi depending on time of day and how many flights are late. There is a "Milano shuttle" leaving Centrale to Malpensa, this is not a train, it's a bus leaving from the side (outside) of the station.

The "Malpensa Express" is a train that goes to Malpensa from Milan. Originally it went to Malpensa from Cadorna station but now is also showing from Centrale. However beware from Centrale this is a slower train with more stops than the original faster Malpensa Express, which leaves from Cadorna. There are options on the timetable to make the time less from Centrale by first taking a train to Saronno then changing trains. Personally more stops, or changing trains, adds an element of risk. My advice would be to go from Cadorna instead if you are taking the train which is the original fast routing for the Malpensa Express train.

Unless you have lots of time (say, you are leaving Centrale 3 hours before your flight would be the most ideal) there is always a risk of delays to the shuttle bus on the road to Malpensa. Although IMO if leaving from Centrale, the bus is a lot more comfortable, convenient and less hassle than the train. And you may hit the rush hour leaving Milan at that time of day which increases the risk of delay. The journey on the shuttle bus runs smoothly a lot of the time. If there are no delays on the road, the Malpensa shuttle bus is definitely the most pleasant and comfortable way to travel. Especially if you just took a coach from Linate to get to Centrale. The coach from Linate drops you at pretty much the same place beside Centrale where the Malpensa shuttle bus is leaving from and you just pay at the door of the shuttle bus. "But when it's bad, it's very bad" e.g. if there is a jam or accident on the motorway, the bus journey from Centrale to Malpensa can take over 2 hours instead of well under 1 hour.

- Personally if I'm not taking a bus or taxi direct from Linate to Malpensa, and therefore must transit through Milan itself, unless I had lots of time spare, to avoid risks I would plan to take the Malpensa Express train and would take this from Cadorna not Centrale. You could take the 73 to San Babila, then a taxi or the metro to Cadorna depending on how much time and luggage you have. Or just take a taxi from Linate direct to Cadorna, it will cost about the same as to Centrale as both are central stations. Occasionally there are strikes or works on the train rails so check online for delays in the week or so before your trip.

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Aug 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks h15t0r1an for the tips! I've used the various airport shuttle buses to/from Malpensa a fair number of times in the past, so I'm quite familiar with them. I did not think of using the Malpensa Express from Cadorna though - I've only ever used it from Centrale since they introduced that variant of the service.

It's just me traveling, so taxi isn't really an option unless the inbound flight is well behind schedule.

I think that my plan will be (depending on time and schedules) as below :

a) Option 1 - If I can make the 1900 Starfly bus, take Starfly to Centrale and try for 1925 Malpensa Express from Centrale. Will get me to Malpensa at 2017. Otherwise the 1940 Malpensa Shuttle from Centrale which arrives 2030.

b) Option 2 - If I miss the 1900 Starfly bus, take the 73 to San Babila, transfer to Metro, head to Cadorna and catch the 1958 Malpensa Express from there. Will get me to Malpensa at 2034.

c) Option 3 - Taxi from Linate to Cadorna and 2028 Malpensa Express from Cadorna. Will get me to Malpensa at 2104.

Option 3 appears to be the fall-back in case of delays, weather or any other wild cards.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Just for the record, according to the latest taxi rate card I could find (here: http://www.comune.milano.it/portale/...servizio+taxi/)

Linate-Malpensa is 105 Euros (Malpensa-Milan is 90 Euros).

And I have taken the bus to and from Malpensa many times and the only occasiona on which it took significantly more than an hour was when there was some sort of engine problem and we had to wait for the next bus to pick us up on the side of the road.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 7:13 am
Original Poster

For the record this went absolutely perfectly yesterday.

1h57m from touchdown at Linate (1820) to arrival at Malpensa (2017).

Starfly bus to Centrale and then Malpensa Express train to Malpensa. Total cost 5 EUR + 10 EUR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.