Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

JPN citizen with UK ILR visa - working in Italy/Schengen on short term basis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Tried searching but couldn't find this question covered in a pre-existing thread.

My husband called the Japanese embassy in London to ask, they weren't able to give him an answer.

He called the Italian consulate. They only open in the mornings for three hours and he's not been able to get anybody to pick up the phone in that time.

Basically, MrLapLap is Japanese and works in London with an indefinite leave to remain in the UK visa in his Japanese passport.

He has been offered work in Italy (offered by a British company for which he will be payed in GBP in the UK).

What we haven't been able to work out is what kind of visa he would need in order to be able to go to Italy to do this.

Two visits are planned. One visit is for three days in September. The other visit will be for approximately 10 days, probably in November.

We'd appreciate some guidance.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd begin with the Italian Embassy / Consular website in London here. If Mr. LapLap wants a visa, the Italian Visa Office listed there is likely where he will have to get one (the Consulate).
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:12 am

Does he actually need a visa?

If he is only going for two short trips, and he is working for a UK company and being paid in the UK, would these trips not just be ordinary business trips?
Old Aug 13, 2012, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Does he actually need a visa?

If he is only going for two short trips, and he is working for a UK company and being paid in the UK, would these trips not just be ordinary business trips?
That's what we don't know.

JDiver
We did begin by calling the Italian Consulate. These are the people who never pick up the phone.

He also called the Schengen European visa centre (The Battleship Building)
Conversation went
I have a Japanese passport with ILR visa for UK and am going to Italy for short trips for work - will I need a visa?
Schengen Visa Information Line: Is this for work or tourism?
Errr... Work.
SVIL: Let me find out. (pause) You might need a visa.
Can you tell me for certain?
SVIL: No, you will need to find out from the Italian consulate. Would you like an appointment for a Visa?
Well, I don't know yet.
SVIL: Can I help you with anything else?
No.
SVIL: Are you sure?
Yes.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
If you are having trouble getting in touch via the telephone, then your best approach is to go the Italian consulate, inquire directly and proceed according to their directions. If your husband attempts to enter Italy w/the incorrect papers, the response that "someone on the internet said this was enough" isn't going to serve him very well.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:10 pm

This information is from Wikipedia, so should probably be checked against a more authoritative source, but this is what it says:

1) Japan is an "Annex II" country (along with countries like the USA, Canada, Australia and Brazil)

2) Citizens of Annex II countries may enter Schengen "for pleasure or for business without the need to apply for a visa for a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period" (emphasis mine)
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
This information is from Wikipedia, so should probably be checked against a more authoritative source, but this is what it says:

1) Japan is an "Annex II" country (along with countries like the USA, Canada, Australia and Brazil)

2) Citizens of Annex II countries may enter Schengen "for pleasure or for business without the need to apply for a visa for a maximum of 90 days in a 180 day period" (emphasis mine)
Thanks, this gives us a toehold onto this cliff face.

And that toehold has yielded this finger grip: http://www.esteri.it/visti/home_eng.asp

Last edited by LapLap; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.