Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Florence [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by pkerr
Just curious as to where a better location would be? I guess it depends on what you want to see?
I agree with you that because of the overwhelming number of tourists, October is better than September, pretty much anywhere in Italy, except if going to the south for the beach, or to the north as in Torino, where there are few tourists.

I said the Westin Rome is in a reasonable location, but not the best. It's certainly close to the Borghese Gallery Park. I think in general, people would consider Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Campo di Fiore, the Coliseum, and the Forum to be the center of historic Rome. You can sort of draw a circle that would include all the main places, including Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps. The Westin would be outside the circle. You can get to the border of this imaginary circle at the Spanish Steps by walking just about ten minutes, so it's not bad.

But since at ten minutes you'd just arrive at the border of this circle, you'd have to walk a 35-40 minutes to get to the Forum or Coliseum. It's a little over a mile to walk to Piazza Navona, which is sort of dead center of the historic area. It's one and a half miles to Campo di Fiori, or to the Tiber River at Castel Sant'Angelo, and about an hour walk to Trastevere.

You're not really amidst the typical major sites that people generally want to see. Instead, of the Spanish Steps, you more or less half to walk a half hour to get to the places most people would want to visit. It is certainly fine for someone who doesn't mind an hour walk back and forth to eat near the main sites, or someone who doesn't mind taxis (although makes you miss the neighborhood). That's why I think it's a reasonable location, but not ideal. It's not like staying in Testaccio.

About a 20 minute walk from the Westin gets you to the Pantheon. The Pantheon and Piazza Navona sit as much at the dead center of the loop as can be. It' not a long walk to anywhere, with the exception of the Vatican, which is over 45 minutes on foot from the Westin, over two miles still doable, but not as doable as from Piazza Navona, where it is just under a mile.

There are some great hotels near the Pantheon. They will generally cost much less than the Westin, and when you you step out you are immersed. No need to walk 20 minutes, take a cab, train, or bus because you'd already be in the center of it all. The Westin just adds 15-20 minutes to walk to most places. It's not in the ideal location in my opinion, but close enough. I'd walk back to the Pantheon from the Vatican or after eating in Trastever at night, buy if I was staying out there at the Westin I would have to take a cab.

So, no knocks against the Westin Roma, it is not in the best location to stroll outside and find a great coffee shop for breakfast, but it's in a reasonable place to sample Rome with some effort. Close enough that I wouldn't hesitate to stay there on points, and I'd be very happy. I just wouldn't stay there if I had to pay cash out of pocket.

Last edited by Perche; Sep 28, 2014 at 1:12 am
Old Sep 28, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Perche
I agree with you that because of the overwhelming number of tourists, October is better than September, pretty much anywhere in Italy, except if going to the south for the beach, or to the north as in Torino, where there are few tourists.

I said the Westin Rome is in a reasonable location, but not the best. It's certainly close to the Borghese Gallery Park. I think in general, people would consider Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, Campo di Fiore, the Coliseum, and the Forum to be the center of historic Rome. You can sort of draw a circle that would include all the main places, including Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps. The Westin would be outside the circle. You can get to the border of this imaginary circle at the Spanish Steps by walking just about ten minutes, so it's not bad.

But since at ten minutes you'd just arrive at the border of this circle, you'd have to walk a 35-40 minutes to get to the Forum or Coliseum. It's a little over a mile to walk to Piazza Navona, which is sort of dead center of the historic area. It's one and a half miles to Campo di Fiori, or to the Tiber River at Castel Sant'Angelo, and about an hour walk to Trastevere.

You're not really amidst the typical major sites that people generally want to see. Instead, of the Spanish Steps, you more or less half to walk a half hour to get to the places most people would want to visit. It is certainly fine for someone who doesn't mind an hour walk back and forth to eat near the main sites, or someone who doesn't mind taxis (although makes you miss the neighborhood). That's why I think it's a reasonable location, but not ideal. It's not like staying in Testaccio.

About a 20 minute walk from the Westin gets you to the Pantheon. The Pantheon and Piazza Navona sit as much at the dead center of the loop as can be. It' not a long walk to anywhere, with the exception of the Vatican, which is over 45 minutes on foot from the Westin, over two miles still doable, but not as doable as from Piazza Navona, where it is just under a mile.

There are some great hotels near the Pantheon. They will generally cost much less than the Westin, and when you you step out you are immersed. No need to walk 20 minutes, take a cab, train, or bus because you'd already be in the center of it all. The Westin just adds 15-20 minutes to walk to most places. It's not in the ideal location in my opinion, but close enough. I'd walk back to the Pantheon from the Vatican or after eating in Trastever at night, buy if I was staying out there at the Westin I would have to take a cab.

So, no knocks against the Westin Roma, it is not in the best location to stroll outside and find a great coffee shop for breakfast, but it's in a reasonable place to sample Rome with some effort. Close enough that I wouldn't hesitate to stay there on points, and I'd be very happy. I just wouldn't stay there if I had to pay cash out of pocket.
I'd agree with that. We did do a lot of walking. Thought not necessarily because of the Westin's location.

If I was paying $$ then I definitely would look for something more "central".

SPG points... it worked for us. And we actually used the metro a bit as well.

BTW... the Westin is right across the street from the US Embassy. Stop in for a quick visit. See what your tax dollars are paying for.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Florence hotel question: expensive and central or cheaper (and further out I believe)

Have about 27 hours in Florence in a month. Have booked 2 hotels: The Westin Excelsior (180 Euro per night) and the Hilton Garden Inn Florence Novoli (30k Hilton points).

I am sure Westin is MUCH nicer but also much more expensive. How far away from center is Hilton? And any ideas on whether it is terrible property?

Thx!
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by anandrag
Have about 27 hours in Florence in a month. Have booked 2 hotels: The Westin Excelsior (180 Euro per night) and the Hilton Garden Inn Florence Novoli (30k Hilton points).

I am sure Westin is MUCH nicer but also much more expensive. How far away from center is Hilton? And any ideas on whether it is terrible property?

Thx!
The HGI is like 2 miles from the Duomo. With such a short stay, I wouldn't do it - that's a long walk to the things you'll probably want to see. I wouldn't recommend staying that far out to most people just because Florence is a very walking city within the historic center - if you have a rental car, you won't be able to drive it in. You can take cabs, but I bet that eats up the price difference fast. Plus, with basically a day to spend there, you're going to eat up a lot of time going to/from the hotel. Whether you fly or take the train in, the HGI isn't walkable to the airport or S.M.Novella.

I'd do the Westin if you can swing it, that's a pretty good rate. It's much more centally located (as in, within the Centro Storico, but also right by the river so you can walk to Oltrarno too).

If you're looking to spend a little less, I'll sound like a broken record (if you've read the other threads on Florence in this sub), but we had a nice stay at Granduomo this year. It's 140 euro a night on random dates next month. It's right in Piazza Del Duomo, too. Nice folks there. It's apartment style, they bring some light (cold) breakfast items each morning, they clean the room, and it has wifi, but that's more or less it for services. I also like Hotel Lungarno for the nicer places in town, but that's double the Westin next month so I assume that's out. If you're taking the train in, you can walk from S.M.Novella to Piazza del Duomo no problem. The Westin is about equidistant.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The HGI is like 2 miles from the Duomo. With such a short stay, I wouldn't do it - that's a long walk to the things you'll probably want to see. I wouldn't recommend staying that far out to most people just because Florence is a very walking city within the historic center - if you have a rental car, you won't be able to drive it in. You can take cabs, but I bet that eats up the price difference fast. Plus, with basically a day to spend there, you're going to eat up a lot of time going to/from the hotel. Whether you fly or take the train in, the HGI isn't walkable to the airport or S.M.Novella.

I'd do the Westin if you can swing it, that's a pretty good rate. It's much more centally located (as in, within the Centro Storico, but also right by the river so you can walk to Oltrarno too).

If you're looking to spend a little less, I'll sound like a broken record (if you've read the other threads on Florence in this sub), but we had a nice stay at Granduomo this year. It's 140 euro a night on random dates next month. It's right in Piazza Del Duomo, too. Nice folks there. It's apartment style, they bring some light (cold) breakfast items each morning, they clean the room, and it has wifi, but that's more or less it for services. I also like Hotel Lungarno for the nicer places in town, but that's double the Westin next month so I assume that's out. If you're taking the train in, you can walk from S.M.Novella to Piazza del Duomo no problem. The Westin is about equidistant.
Thanks
Taking train in from Milan and then on to Rome next afternoon. Is Westin walking from/to train station or a taxi?
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by anandrag
Thanks
Taking train in from Milan and then on to Rome next afternoon. Is Westin walking from/to train station or a taxi?
You can walk.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Hey guys I just wanted to update this thread that I hijacked a few pages back. I have just booked my air so now I have my dates set. The Florence part of this trip will be Sept 7th-11th with us leaving the morning of the 11th for Rome via train. The Lungarno which was my favorite of the suggestions has finally posted their rates for my dates and its 468 USD tax and all which is a bit out of our budget range. The Westin is even more

Looking for options of 300 USD or less a night...again. Mainly we want a clean room in a good location i.e. heart of Florence but I am willing to hear other options if it is a great place and deal. We do not need lots of amenties as it will mainly be a place just to rest at night. Thanks again!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:33 pm

Anyone stayed at the AC Hotel Firenze? We do have some Marriott points. How is this location? Looks decent and after one or two more Marriott stays we will have enough points for two of the 3 nights. Otherwise its 190 Euro a night which I like. Thoughts?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...hotel-firenze/
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:30 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Hey guys I just wanted to update this thread that I hijacked a few pages back. I have just booked my air so now I have my dates set. The Florence part of this trip will be Sept 7th-11th with us leaving the morning of the 11th for Rome via train. The Lungarno which was my favorite of the suggestions has finally posted their rates for my dates and its 468 USD tax and all which is a bit out of our budget range. The Westin is even more

Looking for options of 300 USD or less a night...again. Mainly we want a clean room in a good location i.e. heart of Florence but I am willing to hear other options if it is a great place and deal. We do not need lots of amenties as it will mainly be a place just to rest at night. Thanks again!
I would say keep an eye out on the Lungarno pricing. Just like airline pricing, it's all about supply and demand and it wouldn't surprise me that rates will adjust as the Lungarno has a better handle on demand closer in. That said, $300 (all in), is a hard price point for this property.

I'm actually in a room there right now typing this post (it's raining cats and dogs today) and we got E295 per night (the exchange rate is pretty favorable so it equates to $370 plus some taxes). If you have Amex Plat & book through their Fine Hotel Program, breakfast (a nice one) is free and the hotel will give you one transfer to/from airport or train and one is eligible for a room upgrade (river view - which they did for us) which may help rationalize the cost.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:01 am

We had a great experience at Granduomo. Looks like it's available for your dates at more reasonable prices. It's located in Piazza del Duomo, which is about as central as you can get. A Superior Apartment is $321 per night. Their base room, a comfort apartment, is $213 per night. The difference is roughly that a Superior is more like a 1BR apt, whereas a comfort is more like a studio apartment. Our Superior was facing the courtyard, but at an angle where you could see the roof of il duomo while laying in bed.

For two people who are going to be out all day, I'd suggest going for the Comfort and spending the difference on dinner somewhere. If you think you'll pick up things at the market and want to cook a meal in your apt, go for the Superior for the extra space. Both will have a kitchenette regardless.

http://www.granduomo.com/

Anyone stayed at the AC Hotel Firenze? We do have some Marriott points. How is this location? Looks decent and after one or two more Marriott stays we will have enough points for two of the 3 nights. Otherwise its 190 Euro a night which I like. Thoughts?

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...hotel-firenze/
That's a decent walk to anything. I personally wouldn't on a short stay.

Originally Posted by JMN57
I'm actually in a room there right now typing this post (it's raining cats and dogs today) and we got E295 per night (the exchange rate is pretty favorable so it equates to $370 plus some taxes). If you have Amex Plat & book through their Fine Hotel Program, breakfast (a nice one) is free and the hotel will give you one transfer to/from airport or train and one is eligible for a room upgrade (river view - which they did for us) which may help rationalize the cost.
Nice, I'm very jealous. Work or vacation? (Even when I was in consulting I never got to go anywhere as good as Florence for work)
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:13 am

I would say keep an eye out on the Lungarno pricing. Just like airline pricing, it's all about supply and demand and it wouldn't surprise me that rates will adjust as the Lungarno has a better handle on demand closer in. That said, $300 (all in), is a hard price point for this property.

Very nice I am jealous!

Just one week before my dates the rates are only $310 USD
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
We had a great experience at Granduomo. Looks like it's available for your dates at more reasonable prices. It's located in Piazza del Duomo, which is about as central as you can get. A Superior Apartment is $321 per night. Their base room, a comfort apartment, is $213 per night. The difference is roughly that a Superior is more like a 1BR apt, whereas a comfort is more like a studio apartment. Our Superior was facing the courtyard, but at an angle where you could see the roof of il duomo while laying in bed.

For two people who are going to be out all day, I'd suggest going for the Comfort and spending the difference on dinner somewhere. If you think you'll pick up things at the market and want to cook a meal in your apt, go for the Superior for the extra space. Both will have a kitchenette regardless.

http://www.granduomo.com/
Just checked this out. What a great find! You are right this is about as central as you can get. I really like it. Thanks so much for this
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I was shocked the AC was priced as you said. I would wonder if there is a conference / convention / trade show in town that week. .

AC hotels are functional, reasonable value business hotels. Was just in the one in Torino last week on a points stay. Can highly recommend it if only for the fact that it is 200 meters to Eataly. Had a great meal there and bought 2 liter of wine from the cask for €5.80 that was quite good for in the room sipping.

Relative to the AC in Firenze, a hike from downtown. . Lots of Florence is pretty compact and it is nice to stay close by (for shopping, eating...)

Last edited by JMN57; Nov 6, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I was shocked the AC was priced as you said. I would wonder if there is a conference / convention / trade show in town that week. .

AC hotels are functional, reasonable value business hotels. Was just in the one in Torino last week on a points stay. Can highly recommend it if only for the fact that it is 200 meters to Eataly. Had a great meal there and bought 2 liter of wine from the cask for €5.80 that was quite good for in the room sipping.

Relative to the AC in Firenze, a hike from downtown. . Lots of Florence is pretty compact and it is nice to stay close by (for shopping, eating...)
Eataly is great but the AC Hotel in Torino is in the Lingotto district, an area where one should not stay. You have to take a train to get downtown, where there is actually another Eataly, because it's almost a two mile walk. Torino has a great train system so getting downtown is not hard, but Lingotto is not the safest neighborhood and is very industrial, and the neighborhood where you stay has so much impact on your experience.

I can never dispute staying somewhere on points, but I would not recommend paying to stay in any hotel in that area unless the only purpose is to visit the FIAT factory, to attend a trade show in the convention center, or to go to the Molinette Hospital.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
Eataly is great but the AC Hotel in Torino is in the Lingotto district, an area where one should not stay. You have to take a train to get downtown, where there is actually another Eataly, because it's almost a two mile walk. Torino has a great train system so getting downtown is not hard, but Lingotto is not the safest neighborhood and is very industrial, and the neighborhood where you stay has so much impact on your experience.

I can never dispute staying somewhere on points, but I would not recommend paying to stay in any hotel in that area unless the only purpose is to visit the FIAT factory, to attend a trade show in the convention center, or to go to the Molinette Hospital.
OK wow, good to know. Having never been it is so hard to tell what areas are good just from looking at google maps! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.