Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Florence [Merged thread]

Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Platinum; Starwood - Platinum; Alaska - MVP75; IHG - Platinum; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Gold

I initially booked Sheraton Firenze Hotel & Conference Center, which is far from the downtown and it is not going to work and cancelled the reservation. As we are taking train to Pisa and interested in trip to Tuscany and also watch some siteseeing in the main Florence city.

Can you suggest any good hotel near the main attractions in Florence and also closer to the train station. A nice and decent 3 star property would be great.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by kay_jay
I initially booked Sheraton Firenze Hotel & Conference Center, which is far from the downtown and it is not going to work and cancelled the reservation. As we are taking train to Pisa and interested in trip to Tuscany and also watch some siteseeing in the main Florence city.
I wouldn't have cancelled. With the free shuttle service the sheraton works fine for sightseeing. On the way to the train station the shuttle bus stops also nearly right at the ponte vecchio.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
I wouldn't have cancelled. With the free shuttle service the sheraton works fine for sightseeing. On the way to the train station the shuttle bus stops also nearly right at the ponte vecchio.
I disagree. Florence is too compact of a city to deal with shuttle buses. There is no reason to stay outside the city for such a short visit. If you have to stay at a Starwood property (and centally located Westin and the soon-to-open St Regis are too expensive) then I suppose the Sheraton isn't a terrible option. However, Florence is filled with decent options right in the center...

http://www.hotelromaflorence.com/
Old Mar 21, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: EX-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by geo1005
I disagree. Florence is too compact of a city to deal with shuttle buses. There is no reason to stay outside the city for such a short visit. If you have to stay at a Starwood property (and centally located Westin and the soon-to-open St Regis are too expensive) then I suppose the Sheraton isn't a terrible option. However, Florence is filled with decent options right in the center...

http://www.hotelromaflorence.com/
I had some stays at the Grand Hotel ( Future St. Regis ) and the Sheraton but also at two other **** + ***** Hotels in Firenze. I would avoid *** Hotels in the centre of Firenze. The hotel Roma is also a **** hotel.

BTW: if you exit the shuttle bus at the ponte vecchio you have the choise to go up the hill or over the bridge ( ponte vecchio ) and you are right in the middle of tourist / sightseeing zone.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Can you suggest any good hotel near the main attractions in Florence and also closer to the train station. A nice and decent 3 star property would be great.
I've stayed in quite a few hotels near the train station, but they've all been four stars. I was at the Albani last week, which was very nice. I've stayed at the Adler Cavalieri, Rivoli and Croce di Malta - all close to the train station, but since they're four stars, they might be more than you want to spend. One place you could try is the Grand Adriatico, a four star hotel that's really more like a three star and priced accordingly (the Croce di Malta might be a bit less than the others as well, I've seen student groups there, so it shouldn't be that expensive).
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:04 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold

My sister's family stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria Novella twice, in 1990 and last summer, and they loved it. I don't know what your budget is or what the hotel's rates are, but it is near the train station (Firenze is small anyway) - so thought I'd throw this suggestion up to you.

Here's the hotel's site:
http://www.hotelsantamarianovella.it/eng/index.php

And it's very well reviewed on TripAdvisor:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Tuscany.html

Last edited by sk3; Mar 22, 2011 at 6:12 pm
Old Mar 23, 2011, 9:50 pm

We enjoyed the Machiavelli Palace a few years ago. It is 3star. Some of the rooms have nice views. We walked to the train station with luggage. Enjoy!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Try the Albergotto Hotel. Great location in the center of the city, excellent rates, well reviewed on Trip Advisor. Booked my daughter into it in December, and she loved it.

http://www.albergotto.com/
Old Mar 28, 2011, 1:47 am

Hotel Hermes

I have to strongly recommend Hotel Hermes. It is less than half a block from the train station. The owner LOVES this city and will give you a great walking tour and the best dinner spot(s) of your life.

Really, this place may only have 3 stars, but after six months, I still think of it fondly. You'll get the local flavor and you won't regret it. PM me if you want more information.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Where to stay in Florence [Master thread]

Hey guys,

No nearby Hiltons in Florence. Since I'll be paying cash I'd like to try something unique. 2 adults and 2 kids so I'd need a Quad room. I'd like it if it included a breakfast but not mandatory. What IS mandatory is being walking distance to everything. I hope not to get in a car much if I dont have to.

I saw the PMT which seemed really cool but a little out of my price range. I'm hoping to get 4 nights for $1000 or so. I'll pay more for a great place but there are so many options I am totally overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:28 pm

Wow, 27 views and not one response? Was it something I ate? Anyone here have a favorite hotel in Florence??
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
we did a stay in a VRBO and had a great experience. Close to the Doumo and center of city ..try their web site
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmanson
Wow, 27 views and not one response? Was it something I ate? Anyone here have a favorite hotel in Florence??
everyone is trying to be polite. there are very few quads in italy. you can use venere.com to check for any. at the bottom of their page, look into B&B and things like that.

decent double rooms in florence for 200/ are about the norm.

if you are doing florence, do not get a car. everything worth seeing is within walking distance. car and parking will cost you probably half of what you want to spend. maybe more.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 4:00 pm

If you want a unique experience, go here and see if Casa Guidi is available for your dates:

www.landmarktrust.org.uk

The former home of Robert and Elizabeth Barrett Browning, it will sleep 6 and has a full kitchen.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'll check out your suggestions. (VRBO and venere.com) I did find a couple of hotels that did allow 4 to a room. I think they were called "executive suites" or something and they were in town. I'll make sure to stay in town.

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.