Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account Disabled - What happened?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I was finally able to get through to someone on Live Chat that was able to unlock my account and my points appear to be intact. A stay that should have been posted while this was going on has not shown up however, so I've put in a missing points request.

If you were expecting something to post, it may not have done so while your account was locked so make sure you double check that.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:37 pm

I spoke to an agent, she said my account has been re-enabled but when i put in my details in it just pulls me back to the login page. So annoying.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
my account is also locked.
asked the digital concierge chatbox and got

IHG Hotels and Resorts takes the security of member information very seriously. We’re committed to protecting the privacy and security of our members’ information. As a security measure, we may have temporarily locked your account.Don’t worry, your points and status are still intact. We anticipate your account will be automatically reset within the next 24 hours, after which, the next time you log in you will be prompted to change your password. Should you have an immediate redemption or upcoming stay need, please contact the IHG® Rewards service center so we can manually verify and re-open your account. We are experiencing high call volume and apologize in advance for the longer than usual queue time.
Should this clear automatically or is a call needed ?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If they want people to update their password then the easiest thing would be to send an email or put that on the app as the reason why they locked your account - and then let you change your password

When I spoke to an agent on Sunday AM UK time nothing was said about needing to rest my passcode.

Seems like they are making stuff as they go along!
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Seems like they are making stuff as they go along!
Their CS is the worst!

On that note, what is the best route to a direct a complaint to IHG, about IHG?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Twitter was fairly quick and easy for me. I was eventually prompted to change my password and now I'm back in with all of my points still there.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:11 am

Chiming in to update my situation. This morning when I tried to log in the error message said "Awaiting Password Reset" instead of "Account Disabled". I was able to reset my password and log in, all my points appear to be there. I'm willing to bet IHG had a small data breach and had to lock down a bunch of accounts temporarily while they sorted out the damage and addressed the vulnerability. Since there wasn't a warning beforehand I doubt there will be an explanation forthcoming. Good luck everyone

EDIT: There were no points awarded for my most recent stay. Submitted the missing points form, we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Magicflyingtech; Oct 13, 2021 at 9:19 am
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I fired off an email to the Ambassador Service Desk yesterday as I found it pointless to wait on the phone or chat for a probably uniformed / clueless CSR that likely makes stuff up as they go along and often seem to assume the customer may be at fault in the first place.

Anyways, haven't heard back from Ambassador Service Desk, but this morning (SIN time) I tried to log on via the Android app for a daily check and miraculously it worked and all points show just fine as if nothing had happened. Go figure. Not sure they had anything to do with it or it was just coincidence. YMMV.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

An update: looks like disabled accounts received 10,000 "goodwill" points. It's been posted to my account without me asking. Might want to check yours and ask if it's not there.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ezak
An update: looks like disabled accounts received 10,000 "goodwill" points. It's been posted to my account without me asking. Might want to check yours and ask if it's not there.
Nothing for me. I suppose I'll write in and ask.

EDIT: I was just told by chat "we do not compensate as a standard operating procedure for account lockouts as it is meant for member account safety and security."

I'll follow up with guest relations and see what they say.

Last edited by RAD_PDX; Oct 14, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:28 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Official Statement

Old Oct 16, 2021, 12:23 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks, interesting. The response I got from Ambassador desk after 3 days was more like that I must have done some unauthorized activity and hence my account was locked as a precaution. (No activity on my account for months, but ok) All this even though I had highlighted the wider issues experienced since Sat by folks, no acknowledgement on IHG having had any system wide issues whatsoever.

My issue "fixed itself" on Fri and as mysteriously as it appeared, it was gone. What bothers me is the disingenuous communication I received. Oh well.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:18 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Good to see they finally admitted to their mistake and that member's observations were not bent around the twist!
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Add me to the list. Only discovered today that I couldn't log into my account - no notice from IHG. I don't actually know when it happened as I'm only starting to travel again and I couldn't get in to make my reservation.

I tried to get a reset password email, but it never came through, so I started to chat and was sent to a phone agent. Who said the account was closed due to fraudulent activity that happened in early fall 2020. I pressed and finally the agent said something about a canceled reservation. But I wasn't making bookings to cancel during that time period. The nature of the responses, which were very guarded, made it sound like IHG through I was the one that had committed fraud.

The agent did spend some time trying to do things like look for multiple accounts and said she'd founded "several" none with an address that matched. I have a very uncommon name and only know of 3 or 4 in the entire country. She finally said that the account was a goner and to go ahead and set up a new one. Which I did, but I guess all my accumulations and status is now zero. There is no way they can match them up since I did an entirely new account as I was asked to do. I don't think there were that many points in the account, but hate to lose the bennies - that hurts.

Any recourse?

Update: I called again and not a better agent who was able to restore my points.

Last edited by milepig; Jun 10, 2022 at 1:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.