Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending Diamond status by purchasing Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: SQ S, IHG Diamond/Amb, Accor S
Originally Posted by colin_thames
How bizarre DuMaInSin. I assume you mean 2020, not 2010 on that web date?
Apologies, that was a typo. It should be 2019. I corrected it.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I don't think IHG is unaware of the thing or unable to fix. It is rather an unpublished benefit, motivating people to renew Ambassador. And IHG non-Amb statuses have pretty much zero hard benefits anyway. It's nothing like Marriott Platinum or even Accor Platinum.
Well I attribute it to "bigger issues" to fix IT wise before we (IHG) get to this one. As always on FT, the day this is gone / stops working we will hear an outcry while we all ushered in the demise of it. Same goes for some bloggers who need to add value for their readership.

Anyways, it is what it is, but there is a reason why many seasoned FTers have gotten very cautious to post / publish / talk about any tricks or hacks these days as sharing such is the first step to getting it kill*d off some day. Probably more suitable for a philosophical OMNI thread . YMMV.
dw and FFlash like this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
And speaking of that, it is on loyaltylobby now. So I WILL CRY if my investment is nullified by that
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:44 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Well, still worth the chance that it is still working, especially since AMB now gets (at least) one free breakfast at IC's. With the usual 20% off F&B, it will make my IC stays more valuable. The 15,000 points for the $200 package posted immediately, and the 10% off awards will be worth at least another 15,000 in 2019, so close to getting the $200 in value with these benefits alone. Plus, I just used my 12/18 BOGO at the IC Hua Hin, saved THB9000++ for the second night, breakfast was THB690 each with the 20% discount vs THB3000 per night for the Club. Spire renewal would be the icing.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Could anyone confirm if this still works, especially if I use points to pay for the Ambassador membership? In particular, I would like to ask if this trick works only one time ever or if this is something people have been able to continuously take advantage of. I see online that this has been reported at the end of 2016, 2017, and now 2018. This year, I could potentially go for a 3 mattress runs * 5000 bonus points to reach the target, so if this is a trick I could only use once ever, I may not do it. On the other hand, with the rumour that Ambassador membership comes with free breakfast in ICs, the Ambassador membership seems more valuable to me now, and I have a surplus of points anyway.

Thanks!

Last edited by ernestnywang; Dec 14, 2018 at 4:34 am
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Could anyone confirm if this still works, especially if I use points to pay for the Ambassador membership? In particular, I would like to ask if this trick works only one time ever or if this is something people have been able to continuously take advantage of. I see online that this has been reported at the end of 2016, 2017, and now 2018. This year, I could potentially go for a 3 mattress runs * 5000 bonus points to reach the target, so if this is a trick I could only use once ever, I may not do it. On the other hand, with the rumour that Ambassador membership comes with free breakfast in ICs, the Ambassador membership seems more valuable to me now, and I have a surplus of points anyway.

Thanks!
Nobody can "confirm" anything until 2019 comes and it's too late for you to meet the requirements the standard way. Whether it's an "unpublished benefit" or an "IT glitch" I'm not sure anybody could say definitively.

Whether you attempt the trick depends on how you weigh the risk of not renewing Spire against the cost of any mattress runs. FWIW, you must already be Spire - it won't work for upgrading status.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Nobody can "confirm" anything until 2019 comes and it's too late for you to meet the requirements the standard way. Whether it's an "unpublished benefit" or an "IT glitch" I'm not sure anybody could say definitively.

Whether you attempt the trick depends on how you weigh the risk of not renewing Spire against the cost of any mattress runs. FWIW, you must already be Spire - it won't work for upgrading status.
By "confirm," I meant to ask if any Spire who signed up for Ambassador in the past week or so by using points have successfully extended their Spire expiry date to Dec. 2019. My impression is one would see the extension right away if it works. In case that didn't work, I would still have time to do mattress run (but I would waste 40000 points unless I can come up with a way to use the Ambassador benefits next year), but if my status is extended, I would not need to do anything else.

My second question is whether anyone has had the experience extending Spire status for more than once by keeping Ambassador membership. If it's a once-in-a-life-time thing, I should save it for the future, as 2~3 mattress runs would do it for me.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:54 pm

By "confirm," I meant to ask if any Spire who signed up for Ambassador in the past week or so by using points have successfully extended their Spire expiry date to Dec. 2019. My impression is one would see the extension right away if it works. In case that didn't work, I would still have time to do mattress run (but I would waste 40000 points unless I can come up with a way to use the Ambassador benefits next year), but if my status is extended, I would not need to do anything else.

My second question is whether anyone has had the experience extending Spire status for more than once by keeping Ambassador membership. If it's a once-in-a-life-time thing, I should save it for the future, as 2~3 mattress runs would do it for me.
I extended my Ambassador membership 2 days ago for 200$ + getting 25k points bonus as a special offer, and yes, its the second consecutive year i am doing this while not meeting the Spire requirements, yet the Spire has been extended right away, and this time its even extended untill enx of 2020
I would advise you to choose the money option, and maybe you can even get 25k in addition to the free night certificate, which is definitely an excellent bargain ... good luck dude!
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I bought Amb for first time too. Where can I see the expiry, I cannot find it?

EDIT: only I can see my Amb validity 1.1.2020 but I see nowhere mentioned how long my Spire is valid. I can only see "you need 63 more nights to keep Spire Ambassador".

Last edited by FFlash; Dec 14, 2018 at 1:41 pm
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by VG3RMJC2
I extended my Ambassador membership 2 days ago for 200$ + getting 25k points bonus as a special offer, and yes, its the second consecutive year i am doing this while not meeting the Spire requirements, yet the Spire has been extended right away, and this time its even extended untill enx of 2020
I would advise you to choose the money option, and maybe you can even get 25k in addition to the free night certificate, which is definitely an excellent bargain ... good luck dude!
Thanks a lot! Well I have way too many points, but we will see...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Where is this 25K offer?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Where is this 25K offer?
25k is what Spires receive upon qualification.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by craigthemif
25k is what Spires receive upon qualification.
He said that he was able to extend Spire, specifically without meeting the actual Spire requirements.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:28 am

I'm looking at https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...Page=join.html now and the 200USD option does not seem to come with 25k points. Perhaps the 25k points is for renewal only?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:10 pm

I'm looking at https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...Page=join.html now and the 200USD option does not seem to come with 25k points. Perhaps the 25k points is for renewal only?
The offer came in my monthly eStatement of December, I was looking into extending the Ambassador and that just came in on-time, its NOT the 25k of hitting Spire as apparently I didnt hit it!
Its valid only for cash renewal when renewing by paying 200$, if someone is interested, you can approach the Ambassador desk by email and ask them, they are answering in few hours, sometimes within minutes.
Good Luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.