Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a hotel kick you out...?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Question Can a hotel kick you out...?

Hi! This is my first post on FT. I've been a member for a while and have come here when I've had a question about flying/traveling (Thanks to all who helped this lurker

I searched and searched but couldn't find a post on this topic, so please forgive me if the answer was right under my nose and I missed it... Anyhoo, here's my question (and I used some/all/different pairings of the following as keywords)..

I booked a Crowne Plaza hotel for a Thursday night (two people) . I want to stay Fri. and Sat night also but there is no availability. Can the hotel kick me out Friday morning? Or can I just say I AiN'T LeaViN till Sunday? Does the hotel have any obligation to accomodate me? Will they oblige me out of the kindness of their heart since I'm already there even tho they are booked? Or do I have to go find another place to hang my hat for the remaining unbooked 2 days?

BTW...all their properties are fully booked that weekend. I guess I'm lucky to have at least gotten the one night.
Thank you in advance. I hope I can find my way back here. I'll check my messages here if anyone cares to respond that way.
Thanks again JP
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
This falls under State Innkeepers Law and is specific to the state you are in. You are establishing an Innkeeper / Guest relationship, not Landlord / Tenant, and there are specific statutes that cover this. In which state are you trying to get the room?

Many hotels will ask you to initial beside your departure date when you check in. I'm not sure my initials signify a legal agreement to leave on that date or a simple confirmation that the date is correct.

Last edited by edsh; Apr 11, 2010 at 5:36 pm
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edsh
This falls under State Innkeepers Law and is specific to the state you are in. You are establishing an Innkeeper / Guest relationship, not Landlord / Tenant, and there are specific statutes that cover this. In which state are you trying to get the room?
Thanks for the reply Kentucky
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jpcat2
Hi! This is my first post on FT. I've been a member for a while and have come here when I've had a question about flying/traveling (Thanks to all who helped this lurker

I searched and searched but couldn't find a post on this topic, so please forgive me if the answer was right under my nose and I missed it... Anyhoo, here's my question (and I used some/all/different pairings of the following as keywords)..

I booked a Crowne Plaza hotel for a Thursday night (two people) . I want to stay Fri. and Sat night also but there is no availability. Can the hotel kick me out Friday morning? Or can I just say I AiN'T LeaViN till Sunday? Does the hotel have any obligation to accomodate me? Will they oblige me out of the kindness of their heart since I'm already there even tho they are booked? Or do I have to go find another place to hang my hat for the remaining unbooked 2 days?

BTW...all their properties are fully booked that weekend. I guess I'm lucky to have at least gotten the one night.
Thank you in advance. I hope I can find my way back here. I'll check my messages here if anyone cares to respond that way.
Thanks again JP
If you are PC Platinum (which is quite easy to earn), you get 72 hour guaranteed room availability.

Originally Posted by Priority Club Rewards
**Platinum Elite members are guaranteed one guest room for personal use for reservations made at least 72 hours prior to the date of arrival, except during special events that result in extraordinary room demand, as determined solely by the hotel. Guaranteed room availability is not valid for Reward Nights. These reservations are to be made at the hotels directly or through the Priority Club Service Center.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: HHonours
Does the hotel have any obligation to accomodate me? Will they oblige me out of the kindness of their heart since I'm already there even tho they are booked?
No, they do not have an obligation if you do not have a reservation.

When I worked front desk, I routinely had people who "forgot" to check out, and then when reminded "forgot" the time...
I had assistance from the local constabulary to accompany these people from the building.

(This was a smaller property, so it was out policy that if someone left after 1pm to charge them for the full room rate the extra night, as their late departure time would cause significant disruption to our housekeepers.)

You might be lucky - people often cancel rooms, so some may become available. Assuming that everything on the net IS booked and has been for a little while, they may already have a waitlist, or some non-internet sell rooms available. You could call and ask. Tell them you'll take a twin or single room and you might be lucky
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:41 pm
JBa

Programs: some
As far as I know, the hotels only obligation is to accomodate you for the one night.
You can ask, if in case of cancellations, they can extend your accomodation. If they don't have rooms available for Friday, Saturday you're out of luck.
I had once a stay at an HIX in AL, where over the weekend all rooms were booked. Since I had status with PC and knew the Hotel manager, she offered me the empty employee suite and I stayed there for the rest of the stay.
In onother case the hotel told me there would be no rooms available for one day of my stay, so we made the reservation at another hotel 50 miles away.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Or can I just say I AiN'T LeaViN till Sunday?
Instead, try calling their reservations office, explaining your situation, and report back to us what they say.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Depending on the event, i think it is unlikely that the hotel will FORCE you out... That being said, be prepared to pay an obscene RACK rate (non discounted).

KY is an odd state with regard to hotel occupancy laws, or at least it was when I was an AGM ten years ago... I recall it being very difficult to have guests removed as long as they are paying...

It is not great of you to inconvenience the hotel, but you will probably get away with it as there are generally rooms that open at the last minute...

Just my .02
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:54 pm

Programs: US Plat, AA, Marriott Silver, PC Plat, TSA Full-body scan - Glow in the Dark level
JP - I am guessing you are going to the Kentucky Derby. As someone that worked in a hotel in Louisville over several Derby weekends, you are likely to get booted from your room unless you have super-secret level status and a bucket of cash.

BTW, welcome from a fellow lurker.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
[B]I booked a Crowne Plaza hotel for a Thursday night (two people) . I want to stay Fri. and Sat night also but there is no availability. Can the hotel kick me out Friday morning? Or can I just say I AiN'T LeaViN till Sunday? Does the hotel have any obligation to accomodate me?
How you can even come up with such a solution and expect to get away with it is baffling to me. Bottom line is, no reservation = no stay. The hotel CAN and WILL remove you if you hole yourself up in their room without a reservation.

The smart thing to do is to talk to the hotel management and see if there's anything they can do for you, perhaps even book another nearby hotel if they're really 100% full.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:06 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Existing guests do tend to get placed as a priority on any standby lists, at least those that dont have a "difficult" reputation
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:15 am

Programs: IC RA
If the OP says he is not moving how does he get to the event he is talking about, and if he does go to the event wont they just enter his room and remove his belongings or am I missing something and the event takes place in the room.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:25 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

We have decided to delete a few post, which were more in the level of discussing statements of other flyertalkers and reading some things between the lines than the main topic of this thread.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Apr 12, 2010, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Can the hotel kick me out Friday morning? Or can I just say I AiN'T LeaViN till Sunday? Does the hotel have any obligation to accomodate me?
why not trying to negociate with the hotel?

Once at a Sofitel I had to stay one more night for business, but the hotel was fully booked. I went at reception and said that I needed to stay one more night, but it seems that the hotel is full.
The manager said: well, let's see what we can do for you... And I received a superb suite at the same price the days before.^
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
A few years ago i was in Hyatt Singapore(Diamond) and had trouble getting a room for an extended second night.
the whole hotel was booked .
i waited till 3pm and still no room so had to leave
I suspect they would wait until u left the room and change the keycard and voila you are out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.