Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" RA qualifiying limits as of June 1st, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
Can you please explain the following to me:

You mention in the below e-mail that Royal Ambassador status is given to the top 1% of Ambassador members based on hotel nights during their Ambasador year. THEN THE VERY NEXT SENTENCE YOU SAY THAT THERE IS NO EXACT NUMBER OF NIGHTS REQUIRED.

Well, which of the above contradictory statements is in fact the case? Either it is given to the top 1% of Ambassador members, in which case there is an exact number (that may possibly change each month or year), or else it is not given to the top 1% of members, in which case it is just a completely arbitrary number that you pull out of a hat possibly?

So which of the above is in fact the case? Is 61 nights per year at Priority Club hotels not in the top 1% of members. Or if you just use Intercontinental stays, is 35 nights at Intercontinentals not in the top 1% of members? If not, please let me know the numbers. If so, please review and renew my Royal Ambassador status so that I can continue on staying at Priority Club/IHG and Intercontinental hotels. Thank you.

I call plagerization:

Originally Posted by EdV
I'm having a little trouble understanding what you're saying here so can you please help explain to me?

You mention in the below e-mail that Royal Ambassador status is given to the top 1% of Ambassador members based on the number of Intercontinental properties they have visited and qualifying hotel nights during their Ambassador year. THEN THE VERY NEXT PARAGRAPH YOU SAY THAT THERE IS NO EXACT NUMBER OF NIGHTS REQUIRED.

Well, which of the above contradictory statements is in fact the case? Either it is given to the top 1% of Ambassador members, in which case there is an exact number (that may possibly change each month or year), or else it is not given to the top 1% of members, in which case it is just a completely arbitrary number? There has to be some number and it is completely frustrating as a member to try and meet goals that one does not know what they are. For instance you state:

"May we suggest to increase your stays at InterContinental Hotels and Resort prior to your account expiration date on 30 September 2009 in order to hopefully maintain your Royal Ambassador status for another year."

Hopefully maintain? Well I do have several Intercontinental stays that I am planning on making in the next few weeks (already booked reservations in my account). Is that going to be enough for me to maintain and thus have status extended to me again?

So which of the above is in fact the case? Currently, I should have 61 nights this Ambassador year at Priority Club hotels with 4 or 5 stays at Intercontinental properties; is this not in the top 1% of members?

If not, please let me know the numbers. If so, please review and renew my Royal Ambassador status so that I can continue on staying at Priority Club/IHG and Intercontinental hotels.

Thank you very much for your assistance and I await your response,
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Update to below:

Decline Letter After:
2 Different IC's with 2 nights at each.
~90-100 night across IHG hotels in the previous 365 days.

Made 1 additional IC night at a 3rd IC.
RA Renewal Granted without any phone call follow-up.
Renewal mailed about 3 weeks before expiration.

Conclusion:
- You do not need to be in the top 1% of IC stays with the new policy.
- A large number of IHG nights can do it as long as you stayed at 3 different ICs.
Thanks for the datapoint!!! Very interesting......................
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by wonderbret
My only though when reading your post EdV, was that there is a rouge agent in the Amb service center! There is no way that can be accurate. I say that because if that were the case there is NO way that I would be an RA today.
+1. Either they were yanking your chain or else you got an incompetant agent EdV.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:59 am

Originally Posted by EdV
Well, I thought the same thing so I called and talked to a different agent who said the same thing. I pressed him on it, referred to previous years and asked him what I would need to do to ensure of renewal....of course no firm answer given just "...more nights would strongly help your case BS." He hopefully didn't know what he was talking about as he said also that nights NOT at IC hotels did NOT count....wrong
Originally Posted by soitgoes
There's a combination of making things up and misunderstanding going on in the Ambassador call center.
Originally Posted by JOUY31
My personal experience was very different from the previous years. An initial e-mail exchange, apparently positive, was followed by increasingly non-committal e-mails and phone conversations, telling me a renewal would occur if and when it occurs, or that there would be no exception made. Ultimately, I was renewed, which astounded me, not because of the number of my stays, but due to the increasingly negative tone of our exchanges. I was relieved, but can't say the process has increased my satisfaction with IC.
I have seen several very good points made in this thread. It's very possible that the Ambassador Service Center CSRs are just going down in quality. It's common knowledge over on the Hyatt Forum that their old Diamond CSRs have been going down in quality over the past year ever since they started cross training them to be reservation agents and other things on top of just CSRs. Maybe IHG Amb Center is letting go of some of their more experienced CSRs, who knows. I have been unsatisfied with my first-level contacts to IC the last several times I've contacted them. It's almost like I need to start telling them to just send my issue to to a supervisor because a standard CSR is too incompetant to take care of anything remotely difficult. Or maybe it's just that they've always been evasive about the number of nights that are required to requalify for RA and now they are getting even tighter-lipped about it for some reason.

wonderbret also brought up a good point that they could be trying to thin the ranks of RAs. It certainly looks like this is the case. In a down economy such as this one, there is no way that the required number of stays should increase UNLESS THEY ARE THINNING THE RANKS. I certainly don't know why they'd be doing this. Maybe indeed the hotels are complaining that there are too many RAs that they have to give too many free perks to. Although I'm surprised that IC just doesn't do away with RA referrals completely if that were the case. They could knock down the number of RAs within a year by almost 50% by doing that alone. Seems like it would be smarter for them business-wise to dump RA referrals rather than all these current RAs who are putting in 50-60 IHG nights and are now being downgraded. @:-)

Finally, Sydfly has brought up another good point. Seems like from people's reports here, if you qualify with about 55 nights 9-10 months into your RA year, then you seem to have a better shot a renewel than if you wait til the end of your 12th month and you have 60 rolling-year IHG nights at that time.

One thing is for sure, the lack of transparency in the RA qualification requirements is really, really bothersome. I think IHG very well may lose a lot of good customers who were on the border of qualifying for RA (based on how many nights they had the previous year and qualified for RA for example), but didn't qualify this year. If it happened to me, I would be so steamed that I wouldn't stay with IHG properties anymore myself.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:23 am

Useless front line CSRs...........

I posted my RA saga on this thread about a month ago. I basically had to escalate my stay history (61-62 IHG nights with 8 different ICs) to a supervisor after I had been downgraded since 7 of my Amb year qualified nights didn't post to my acct until after I had been downgraded to Amb.

Anyways, the supervisor upgraded me after I was rejected by 1 (or 2) front line CSRs in the Amb Service Center.

Well guess what. My RA kit arrives and there's freaking RA referral cert in there nor is there a BOGO. ...?!?!?!??!?

So I e-mail Amb Services. Of course I wasn't one bit surprised that the incompetant front line CSRs can't do anything to help, all they can do is send half-canned rejection letters out, I honestly think IHG trains them to just send out rejection letters without even reading the letters that are sent to them. Anyways, yet again I had to demand they escalate my issue. And yet again I was only able to refer somebody else to RA due to the Supervisor.

Front-line Amb Service CSRs = USELESS!!!!!!!

Here's my e-mail chain in case you're curious (EdV, I expect to see you plagerizing this in 2 months time when you run into the same problem as I did):

My initial e-mail to them:
I just received my renewel/requalification Royal Ambassador kit in the mail a few days ago. For some reason it contained neither of the following items:

1. Royal Ambassador Associate Referral Card
nor
2. Complimentary Weekend night certificate

The kit did contain two Ambassador luggage tags, a new June 2010 extended Royal Ambassador card, as well as a welcome letter, however the letter seemed to say I was "invited to become a Royal Ambassador" and "we are delighted to provide you with an upgrade to Royal Ambassador status".

I want to make it perfectly clear that this was not an "upgrade" to Royal Ambassador status. Rather it was a continuation of my Royal Ambassador status which I have earned by virtue of my 61 paid IHG nights (35 of them at Intercontinental Hotels) during the 12 months of my Ambassador year.

It is my understanding that I should be receiving both an Associate Referral Card as well as a Free Weekend Night Certificate for requalifying for Royal Ambassador status. This much is also mentioned word for word in the accompanying literature provided in the kit. The kit was wrapped in plastic, so these 2 certificates did not fall out in the mail. Therefore I am wondering where they are and requesting that you please resend a new replacement kit. I also want to mention that the letter in my kit contained a 5000 bonus pt voucher code. I did not redeem it and the Voucher # is XXXXXXXXXXXXXX. So you can either void that and send me a new voucher with the replacement kit. Or else just not include a new 5000 pt voucher code nor luggage tags in the new Royal Ambassador replacement kit that you send me. Can you please verify that everything is in the new kit before you send it? I appreciate your assistance.
And Useless CSR reply #1:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the InterContinental Ambassador Service Center.
Our records show that your Royal Ambassador status was transitioned to Platinum Ambassador on 27 June 2009, and was reinstated to Royal Ambassador status on 08 July 2009.

May we take this opportunity to explain that the Royal Ambassador status is systematically awarded to the top one percent tier of our most frequent guests, based on hotel nights. There are no specific number of nights that determine how a member may maintain Royal Ambassador status, as it depends entirely on the total number of nights acquired by the top one percent tier of Ambassador guests.

Our records show that the number of nights recorded on your account was close to the number of nights stayed by the top one percent tier of our most frequent guests, as such, since we value your business, we considered reinstating your Royal Ambassador status as an exception. Hence, the Royal Ambassador portfolio no longer contain the nomination form.

In addition, your Platinum Ambassador portfolio, which was dispatched on 01 July 2009, already includes one complimentary weekend night certificate, thus, the certificate was no longer included in the Royal Ambassador portfolio.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to explain this situation, and trust these details will be of assistance to you.

Should you have further questions, please contact us at +44 870 400 9099 / 1 888 211 7996 or via e-mail at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Ms. XXXX XXXXXX
Ambassador Services
And my request to escalate this to somebody who actually has some authority to do something other than spew out rejections:

Can you please escalate this issue to an Ambassador Services Supervisor ASAP!

I find the below e-mail response unacceptable. First, I was prematurely dropped from Royal Ambassador down to regular Ambassador 4 days before my status was set to expire. Due to this (and the fact that I had a fairly long end-of-the-Ambassador-year stay), I had SEVEN more nights post to my account which all still took place during my Ambassador year but didn't post until after I had been dropped in status. Obviously these 7 nights were not counted when initially considering my Royal Ambassador Qualification and were the reason why my status was reinstated when I contacted you. So in fact I DID requalify for Royal Ambassador status, and I would like the full perks (including the Associate Referral card that was missing).

Second, I know of more than one other Royal Ambassador member who requalified (during May 2009 and June 2009) with slightly less stays than my 61-62 stays during my Ambassador year. Just because I stayed 7 of my 61-62 nights at the end of my Ambassador year (and they did not post until a couple days after my Ambassador year finished), I should not be penalized and be treated like a second-class citizen.

Therefore I would kindly ask that you send me the Associate Referral card that was missing in my package. I try hard to stay loyal to Intercontinental, however shortchanging me of items in my Royal Ambassador renewel package does not make me want to keep bringing my business to Intercontintal. I do not need a 5000 pt bonus voucher, nor do I need a Complimentary Weekend Night certificate since those items were already included in my Ambassador package I received, however I most certainly need the Associate Referral certificate as I have promised a work colleague that I would refer him to Royal Ambassador status for him to try out your hotels. So can you please re-send me this missing Associate Referral certificate? If for any reason not, will you please either e-mail me or else call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX so we can discuss this matter further. Thank you for your time.
And finally the response from a competant supervisor who can actually think about something before just e-mailing rejection letter after rejection letter:

Greetings from InterContinental Ambassador!

We appreciate your taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.

In reference to your e-mail below, we wish to reiterate that Royal Ambassador status is extended to the top one percent tier of InterContinental Ambassador guests only, with the exception of nominated members. Also, the number of InterContinental properties and qualifying nights required to reach the top one percent tier may change at any time.

Furthermore, since Royal Ambassador referral forms are automatically packed with the other membership materials, we do no have the option to order individual forms and have them shipped separately.

However, in an effort to assist you, we would be happy to process the referral upgrade for your colleague if you could provide us with his/her full name, preferred mailing addres, phone number and credit card details (card type, number and expiry date). If your colleague is already a Priority Club Rewards member, we would appreciate it if you could also send us his/her Priority Club number.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you. Should you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us directly.

Sincerely,

XXXX XXXXXXXX
Senior Representative
Ambassador Services
In my dealings with IC Ambassador Services, it's just been pathetic how useless the front-level CSRs have been. Frankly, all this teaches us to do is escalate issues further up the chain since the first level is just there to reject. Piss poor.............: td:
Old Aug 9, 2009, 4:04 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
Another math

Even though IHG insist that they reward top 1% Ambassador RA status. Maybe our assumption about 1% based on room night was wrong? There are two possibilities.

Scenario 1, contribution based on brand night

let us say, one IC night eq. 1 night contribution
one CP night eq. 0.8 night contribution
one HI/IN night eq. 0.7 night contribution
one HIS/SB eq. 0.5 night contribution
one CW eq. 0.3 night contribution

One AM stays 5 nights in IC (3 stays), 8 nights in CP (5 stays), 24 nights in HI (11 Stays), 18 nights (9 Stays) in HIX and 3 nights in others (2 stays). Thus total 58 nights qualifies RA.

However the total contribution value at 5 + 6.4 + 16.8 + 9 + (1) = 38 nights

This member completed 30 stays. The average contribution per stay is 1.93 and the mean contribution value is 1.27. The difference is 0.66 which will be used to analyse the 1% mark. The lower difference value it is, the closer to RA membership.

Scenario 2, based on base points

Still the same member, suppose:
average spending in each hotel brand ( room + inc.):

IC: USD$250
CP: USD$180
HI/IN: USD$140
HIX: USD$110
SB/CW: USD$100

So the base points can be calculated as:
6,000 + 14,400 + 33,600 + 19,800 + 1,500 = 75,300

Base points contribution qualifies for Plat. therefore member is invited for RA.

However, if the member always book the cheapest available room and did not spend any dollar in hotel. The picture would be:
IC: USD$230
CP: USD$108
HI/IN: USD$85
HIX: USD$75
SB/CW: USD$68

So the base points can be calculated as:
6000 + 8,640 + 20,400 + 13,500 + 1,020 = 49,560

10,440 points behind 60,000 points mark. Look at the average spending per night mark for this member now is USD$85.45. Member would not be qualified for RA based on base point, but it would be at IHG's decision whether the member meet the secret critirea (1% mark).

What point I want to make is, maybe IHG central marketing have their own way to calculate each member's contrbution based on nights/base point to evaluate RA 1% mark. The two scenario above is just "possibilities". IHG may have their own way to do it. However, if your base point (forget the platinum bonus and promotional points) on hotel stays is over 60,000 in one membership year, you should have very strong ground to be qualifying for RA.

Last edited by IC6A; Aug 9, 2009 at 4:13 am
Old Aug 9, 2009, 5:12 am

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
Very interesting read. I've tried looking for this so sorry if it's been covered somewhere.

I'm in my first year of joining PC and have joined the ambassador program early July. Now I've got 36 qualifying nights of which 20 are after joining the ambassador program. Based on people's experience, is it the qualifying nights after joining the ambassador program that they count, or would it be the 12 months period? All my stays except for 6 nights are from IC, and I'll be staying at 2 other ICs by the end of the month. Would be nice to get RA whilst I continue to live out of IC and would like to know my chances.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:57 pm

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
Interesting post.

Scenario 1 is not true. Counting of qualifying nights do not have brand difference.

As I've mentioned before, there is a revenue control. It's similar to Scenrion 2 above, but more complicate calculations involved (although you could say it's all been calculated by computers).

IHG is very keen to maintain the 1% margin for RA. That's why sometimes Customer Service Agents have difficulties to answer whether you've maintained RA status if you haven't finished your current RA year.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
gregorygrady, thanks for sharing your correspondence. It seems customer 'service' is only one step up from AFKL Flying Poo, whose standard response (if you get one) is 'this is not possible'.

One thing worries me about
... his/her full name, preferred mailing addres, phone number and credit card details (card type, number and expiry date). If your colleague is already a Priority Club Rewards member, we would appreciate it if you could also send us his/her Priority Club number.
While supplying some of this information may be reasonable, it is quite unreasonable for you to ask for a colleague's 'credit card details (card type, number and expiry date)' and supply it to IHG in view of any possible breach of security. (Of course, if the colleague is already a member, they would have this info anyway.)

It would be much simpler if they sent you a paper referral certificate ...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:10 am

Programs: LH HON, PC RA
Hi there!

This is my first post to this thread and after reading through all of the posts, a couple of thoughts crossed my mind.
However, to clarify my position, I have been an Amb for a couple of years. Only this March I got a referral certificate from a friend (didn't have to pay for it!!!) and am now enjoying the RA benefits. Never bothered about RA so much before, but now I don't want to loose it.
My problem was that I used the referral in March with half of my Amb year already gone. So I only got "promoted" for the period March-November 09. However, I am making the most of it now and it works pretty well.
But now here comes my thoughts:

a) will they only count my nights/stays in the period from March to November 09 (RA period)? Or the period Nov 08 to Nov 09 (A/RA year)?

b) I can't recall the nights I had in Nov and Dec 08 and the activity page only shows the total nights in 09 and the detailled list only the nights/stays of the last 180 days.

Currently I can only recall the following activity in this A/RA period:

IC: 38 nights, 9 locations
CP: 9 nights, 2 locations
HI: 5 nights, 2 locations
HIX: 5 nights, 3 locations
TOTAL: 57 nights

already planned until end of Nov:
IC: 7 nights, 2 locations
HI: 2 nights, 1 location
TOTAL 9 nights

I wonder, whether this will be enough or not...

However, since there was the discussion of economic crisis and number of travellers being lower. Has anyone ever considered that the prices for rooms within the IHG have gone down tremedously? Just look at Dubai: You get good rooms at IC Dubai for around 100USD per night.
If the whole system is based on number of nights, than somebody who couldn't book IC because of corporate price guidelines, now is able to book it and get a good number of nights for a much better price.
So, accumulating nights can be easier than before with a much better price.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
I can't answer your question a) but for b) if you use this link you can login and then see all your transactions as far back as they go

https://secure.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d...ansaction=4000
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: VS Gold, IHG RA/Plat, Marriott Plat
You should get it

Originally Posted by travelben

a) will they only count my nights/stays in the period from March to November 09 (RA period)? Or the period Nov 08 to Nov 09 (A/RA year)?

b) I can't recall the nights I had in Nov and Dec 08 and the activity page only shows the total nights in 09 and the detailled list only the nights/stays of the last 180 days.

Currently I can only recall the following activity in this A/RA period:

IC: 38 nights, 9 locations
CP: 9 nights, 2 locations
HI: 5 nights, 2 locations
HIX: 5 nights, 3 locations
TOTAL: 57 nights

already planned until end of Nov:
IC: 7 nights, 2 locations
HI: 2 nights, 1 location
TOTAL 9 nights
If your current membership year ends Nov 2009, by the end of Sept 2009, they will do a count from 1 Oct 2008 to 30 Sept 2009 - a whole 12 month.

If you don't get a "at risk" letter in early October, you should be fine for another year of RA. Even if you do get a letter, based on your spending in IC, you should hit the top 1% revenue target by the end of Nov.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BA1A
I can't answer your question a) but for b) if you use this link you can login and then see all your transactions as far back as they go

https://secure.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d...ansaction=4000
Note that this only goes back to mid-2006 for stays and "other activity" and mid-2004 for hotel night redemptions. At least that's what shows on my account.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Dia
Originally Posted by MP (Miles+Points)
If your current membership year ends Nov 2009, by the end of Sept 2009, they will do a count from 1 Oct 2008 to 30 Sept 2009 - a whole 12 month.

If you don't get a "at risk" letter in early October, you should be fine for another year of RA. Even if you do get a letter, based on your spending in IC, you should hit the top 1% revenue target by the end of Nov.
I agree - except that in my experience the "ROYAL AMBASSADOR RENEWAL" already shows up in the account in early September (my account also runs until end of November), so the period that they are looking at most likely will be September 2008-August 2009.

By the way, I also became RA in March and for me the whole year counted towards requalification, not just the time from March on. This was confirmed by the service center.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
Is it just me or are the requirements for RA starting to seem more like the requirements for Plat Premier (Marriott)? Is there anyone who is both?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.