Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"New" RA qualifiying limits as of June 1st, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markus1301
56 nights in IC hotels only or also IHG properties?
total in all IHG properties
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: Priority Club Royal Ambassador
56 nights in IC hotels only or also IHG properties?

10 in 4 different ICs. The rest in a mix of other brands, mostly HIX.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: Priority Club Royal Ambassador
The qualification time is the one year of Ambassador?
I was an Ambassador for less than one day. The day I signed up for Ambassador I was upgraded to RA. The downside was I only got one kit.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by joe847
I was an Ambassador for less than one day. The day I signed up for Ambassador I was upgraded to RA. The downside was I only got one kit.
Not sure if this really tells us much other than 56 paid nights is good enough to qualify. You may have qualified with 54 or 55 nights, who knows? It certainly doesn't mean that my guess of 55-57 nights is the new minimum bar is correct. I guess we need some more reports from people with 54 or 55 nights.

Or the easiest way: berlinflyer can check his acct and report back to us and we can subtract 3 from that number. @:-)
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by Sydfly
I just noticed the following line in my account:

ROYAL AMBASSADOR RENEWAL 0pts 0pts

55 total nights at IHG since August '08)
4 differnt ICs (7 separate stays)

Last year I was renewed on the exact same date with 60 nights total. But I just couldn't fit any more nights in this year. Had to spend almost every weekend over the last few weeks in a hotel to make up the difference as my business travel had sharply decreased. I got renewed 2 months prior to my expiry in October. So, in my experience this is the best bet you have to renew your memebership. Don't wait until your membership year is over. Try to achieve the min. 50 or 55 nights and 3 IC stays 2 months earlier. This seems to be when the system runs the check and renews you automatically. I didn't have to call or speak to anyone.

So, hopefully this can give someone some hope prior to the start of the weekend. I, for sure, will have a great weekend after this ^
Congrats on the renewal!

There continues to be confusion in this thread about the "membership year" ... the qualification period is your "Ambassador Membership" period i.e. 3 months before the date of expiration that is listed on the site/card.

This grace period is similar to the 2-month "grace period" that most airline programs have; i.e. the qualification period is the calendar year, but the card expires at the end of February (or in some programs March) of the following year to allow for transactions to be posted, etc.

The first opportunity for "automatic" renewal usually happens 6-10 days into the first month of the grace period.

I.e. if your card says you are a Royal Ambassador until November 30, 2009, your membership qualification period is September 1 2008 through August 31 2009. Around September 8 you should (hopefully) see the "Royal Ambassador Renewal" message unless you're unlucky.

This qualification cycle is pretty well documented, though often misunderstood, and a number of people think that it occurs in the "10th month of their membership" which is not correct. Which unfortunately makes some of the posts in this thread and others suspect in terms of the date range within which they count their stays.

Note that the qualification program of the Priority Club program IS a calendar year, so this confuses matters further.

The part that is still shrouded with mystery, with many competing and contradictory interpretations is:
a) How many nights at ICH branded properties are required? And at how many different properties?
b) Do CP, HX and other ICHG stays count at all? If so, do they count at the same rate?
c) Do revenues factor into the equation?
d) Do booked stays after the qualification period factor into the equation?
e) Does longevity (number of years in the program) factor into the equation?

And it's clear that the definition varies from year to year. I agree that it's unlikely that the "top 1%" definition requires MORE nights this year than previously, but it certainly sounds like some tightening of requirements has occurred.

Last edited by vsevolod4; Aug 24, 2009 at 5:55 pm
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
hello everyone ,

a) if i join Ambassador for $150.00 usd, is the ambassador card different than the priority club card?

b) the RA program looks very attractive but yet, costly...
from what i gather from this post, it's easier to achieve top tier elite status on airline , for me that is...
my mother has the american platinum express. when we make reservation via amex , we select to upgradable room ,price includes, tea time, buffet, cocktail,
i'm not sure if includes access to the club lounge....

c) how are the rooms at CP & HI ?
are they equilavent to hyatt or sheraton?

thank you.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by dimmedlights
hello everyone ,

a) if i join Ambassador for $150.00 usd, is the ambassador card different than the priority club card?
It is different and applies ONLY in ICH branded hotels. Not at Crowne Plazas, etc. (although if you buy the AMB membership you are probably going to be upgraded to a higher status in the Priority Club program). It is a separate card.
But as long as you plan to stay in ICH hotels it is WELL WORTH IT. Just the "buy one weekend night, stay one weekend night free" is usually worth far more than $150. Plus the perks, the upgrades and if you care about Priority Club points, you'll get more points each stay.

b) the RA program looks very attractive but yet, costly...
from what i gather from this post, it's easier to achieve top tier elite status on airline , for me that is...
my mother has the american platinum express. when we make reservation via amex , we select to upgradable room ,price includes, tea time, buffet, cocktail,
i'm not sure if includes access to the club lounge....
The Amex Platinum program provides some perks at some but not all ICH hotels. Generally these require booking a full flexible rate, and generally these are less generous than the RA program benefits, and may be about what you would get with the AMB benefits. But you get AMB benefits if you book a prepaid rate and usually (in practice, though not guaranteed) when you're staying for free.

And yes, the RA program level is very attractive if you achieve it. Those of us who have it love it -- and given the upgrades and especially the free minibar, it makes us the envy of our peers. If you stay over 55 nights a year in these sorts of hotels, go for it. If you stay 10 or 20 nights, look for a friend who is an RA, who is allowed to refer one friend to the program. Or look on eBay where you'll see some people selling these referral certificates (note this is a violation of policy and may not be legal).

c) how are the rooms at CP & HI ?
are they equilavent to hyatt or sheraton?
thank you.
CP was HI's "premium" brand and would generally be the equivalent of a run of the mill Sheraton or Hyatt or Hilton. The best few CPs got re-branded
Not as good as a Park Hyatt or Sheraton Luxury Collection; for those you would have to look at ICH hotels (and in some cases even they may be a notch below).

HI is definitely a step below CP by design, although the best few HIs are better than the worst of the CPs (many of which no longer have "Club" floors, or do without a lounge, etc.).

HIX is a step below that, although some people prefer HIXes.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: LH HON, PC RA
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Note that the qualification program of the Priority Club program IS a calendar year, so this confuses matters further.
PC = Calendar year Jan-Dec
Amb = Membership year, e.g. Nov 08 - Nov 09

Right?
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by mapu
The number of nights is not the only factor considered, the room rate also plays a considerable role. Spending 40 nights in IC suites will most likely get you RA status while spending 60 nights in HIX on the cheapest rates will likely not get you RA status.
I don't know that they even care about HIX stays for RA. I think they just look at IC stays.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boghopper
I don't know that they even care about HIX stays for RA. I think they just look at IC stays.
No. They require a certain number of IC stays, but they look at total IHG nights.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:57 pm

I emailed Ambassador Services to ask about the # of qualifying nights YTD (couldn't be bothered adding up the history ).

Anyway, they returned with '50', which is the number of qualifying nights in my CALENDAR year. Two emails later and she's still convinced that qualification period is calendar year. I downloaded my nights and I should be 55 for my ambassador year.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Our records show that you have earned a total of 50 Qualifiying nights for 2009. These nights will be counted towards achieving complimentary Royal Ambassador status and have completed stays at nine (9) different InterContinental Branded Hotels.

In addition, we would like to inform you that we usually send out letters to members two months prior to their membership expiry date to advise them regarding the status of their Royal Ambassador membership. Thus, we encourage you to increase your stays prior to 30 November 2009 to elevate your chance for the complimentary renewal of your Royal Ambassador status.
I will be 56 nights by 31 August, hopefully it's enough to trigger the automatic renewal!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:21 am

Hmmm...interesting.

Basically I signed up for Ambassador last year in Oct 08, and registered an RA referral certificate in April 09.

Looks like my requal wont automatically trigger, and if I have to go through the helpdesk I'll likely not requalify on 56 nights.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Foremost, our apologies for the confusion this matter has caused.

Our records show that your status was complimentary renewed to Royal Ambassador last 27 April 2009. Thus, your hotel stay activity will be systematically reviewed from 27 April 2009 through 30 November 2009. However, particular consideration will be given for your InterContinental Stays for the months of 02 October 2008 through 27 April 2009 in further evaluating your status for the Royal Ambassador program.

02 October 2008 is the date when your account was enrolled for the Ambassador status, while 27 April 2009 was when your membership was upgraded to Royal Ambassador

We hope to have assisted in clarifying your inquiry and we thank you for your patience towards this matter. Should you have further questions, kindly contact us directly.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: JAL JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum
I currently sit at 47 qualified nights since June of which 41 was at IC and at 3 different properties. No automatic RA invites yet for those that got invited, how long after their last stay did you get upgraded?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:02 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Many of you are forgetting that unlike all other Hotel Loyalty programs, the Royal Ambassador status (IHG's top elite status) is "By Invitation Only".

It is at IHG's sole discretion who is granted this status and they are not obligated to publish the criteria. In addition, there is no entitlement to automatically get the status if you stay "x nights".

mxm135
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Avis
Originally Posted by MXM135
It is at IHG's sole discretion who is granted this status and they are not obligated to publish the criteria. In addition, there is no entitlement to automatically get the status if you stay "x nights".
Its also a two ways street, 99% of the time where I stay is up to my sole discretion. I will stay were I recieve the best treatment for my $$$.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.