Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Singapore Master Thread [merged] - after Jan 01, 2010

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Sounds like Peter
Old May 5, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Originally Posted by Savage25
Sounds like Peter
Yes. He seems like a nice guy. I just don't understand his role.
Old May 21, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: Malaysian Airlines Enrich, Air France Flying Blue, Intercontinental Spire Royal Ambassador
Stayed there in March after attending a forum in Shangri-La Singapore.

As Ambassador Member, I received an upgrade to shophouse room which is great (even when I was RA, I asked for those rooms as well).

The service was top class compare to Shangri-La (which many people regards as a better hotel but the front-desk staff were not informed that my rate was subsidised by the organiser, so we had an argument during the check-in about the rates, which I were not informed by the organiser as well, they also messed up my check out date).

I did not requested a late check out as I have an afternoon flight to catch but the reception told me to inform them anytime should I need to check out late (Shangri-La told me they can only tell me if I can check out late 1 day before checking out, which they then said no because the hotel was full despite over 250 people attending the forum check out the day before or on that day - luckily my room in IC was ready for me to checkin at 12 noon!).

I would continue to stay here, the room is good, nothing to shout about but services is excellent and I just love the location - on top of a MRT station and close to many places for nice food. Only complaint is most 5 stars hotel in Singapore now include internet access in their rate but you still have to pay for it in IC.
Old May 21, 2010, 9:37 pm

I miss the lamb sausage in the club lounge.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I miss the lamb sausage in the club lounge.
I miss the Chivas Regal and the decent wines. They have definitely cut back on the quality of these since the 11th floor lounge days. Some of their red wines lately have just been terrible (an I told them so!).
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:31 am

I was at the IC Singapore earlier this week and, upon check-in, the Receptionist took great pains to mention that she had upgraded my room from Deluxe to a Shophouse room on the 3rd floor. Fine gesture, I thought, but the way that this was communicated appeared as if she had to cross through burning towers and raging rivers just to grant me the supposed upgrade.

Unfortunately, when I went to the room, I was aghast that the whole room smelled of curry. Obviously the previous guest had ordered room service, but Housekeeping failed to air the room sufficiently when the room was cleaned. I called Reception a couple of times to ask for a room change. No answer. Eventually left a message with "At Your Service" and a Receptionist called back to arrange a room change. There appeared to be some miscommunication - I understood that I was to move to another Shophouse room on the 3rd floor due to the earlier upgrade, but instead the bellhop delivered a replacement key for a room on the 10th floor. I was effectively downgraded back to a Deluxe room. I queried this. As the bellhop was not privy to my earlier conversation with the Receptionist, we both spent the next couple of minutes trying to get through to Reception on the phone to clarify. Again, no answer - despite the phone ringing a dozen times or so each time we called. The bellhop even tried to reach the Concierge to connect the call through to Reception, but without success.

Now, I've been a regular guest at the IC Singapore (once every 2 months or so over the last 3 years). And, from previous experiences, it was generally quite a challenge trying to get through to Reception on the phone. For a 5 star hotel, this level of tardiness is generally quite unacceptable.

Eventually we trekked back to Reception with my luggage to clarify the room change, to which I mentioned to one of the Receptionists there that they should really make a better effort to answer phone calls. I was rather shocked that a pencil thin and pompous Chinese lady, with a haughty attitude, declared - "That's because we're busy serving other guests!" No sorry sir for the delay. No we'll try better next time. Just tough - if we're already attending to other guests, we'll just ignore your phonecall... whether you like it or not!

Now, if Reception is constantly not answering phonecalls, it can only imply one thing - that it's understaffed. Not that there weren't many other staff hanging around the lobby, greeting and smiling; perhaps more of those can be deployed to Reception to take phonecalls during high call volumes. Instead of accepting my feedback with the right attitude and communicating it to management to assess general staffing levels required to maintain the desired level of customer service, that Receptionist appeared to just brush me off with her own arrogance. That interaction left a very sour taste. And, at the end of an already dreary day of travels, that was really the last thing I needed.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
What on earth has a shop-house room got that makes it worth going through all that malarkey?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Views of the aerobics class across the way?

Actually, I also personally don't like those rooms as it's a long ways to get to and a little noisy for my taste. I generally turn down this upgrade when offered.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:31 pm

did you guys stay there as an RA?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Plat
I usually get upgraded from Deluxe to Shophouse room. I was just Ambassador then.

On my last cash and points stay this month, no upgrade but did get the fruit, the Fiji water, and cookies, plus the gift was now some table mat with chopsticks I think.

Overall, I like to stay here for the location and convenience.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:45 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
The RA welcome gift has changed to being a Derek Corke watercolour - Singapore series limited addition (sic) print. Current one is shop houses.
They had a gift similar to this many years back.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by infoworks
The RA welcome gift has changed to being a Derek Corke watercolour - Singapore series limited addition (sic) print. Current one is shop houses.
Sounds nice, maybe I should stay there again soon.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, United 2P, SQ, SPG Plat, PC Plat AMB, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by infoworks
Man I need to get RA soon - I got some (to use my wife's description) "piece of cloth"
Old Jun 25, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Originally Posted by CanuckinKL
Man I need to get RA soon - I got some (to use my wife's description) "piece of cloth"
You mean the silk/pashmina shawl? They were very popular!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:58 am

I stayed last week as an RA on award and got given what looks like a table runner with some chopsticks, I haven't opened the pack yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.