Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador Experiences 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat Amb
InterContinental San Francisco Howard St

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked 2 x Queen Room.
Recieved 2 x Queen Junior Suite on 19th Floor with excellent view.

How are the rooms?
With 2 x Queen rooms there was still plenty of floor space with 2 x chairs and a large bathroom.
The room is located at the end of the floor which gave an excellent view across to walls of the room.

How is the exec. lounge?
Didn't go this time, believe it was been recently refurbed.
Was quoted $60 a day per adult + $30 a day for children under 12.

What was good and what was bad?
Good -
The room itself and the view.
Housekeeping were excellent, very prompt i.e by the time we returned from breakfast the room was cleaned.
Bad - They appear to be missing the small things like another review noted ie doorman not getting the door.
Checkin was slow, while I accept it was busy, each customer was taking a long time to process, not helped by ours keys not working and having to queue up again to have them sorted.
The worst part of the stay was breakfast on a quiet Sunday morning. We paid over $100 for a buffet breakfast for a family of 3. With our 6yr old charged $25. More annoying was the buffet itself which was no better than Holiday Inns we have stayed in. Our server went missing for 20mins, then when I went to complain on the way out there was no one at the podium to speak to. When we checked out I was asked how our stay was and I told them I enjoyed the hotel but the breakfast was very poor and she just smiled. Very much just asking the same question without actually listening to the answer.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
It was still expensive even with a weekend voucher. This was our 3rd InterContinental Hotel on this trip and sadly the worst of the 3, which is disappointing after our previous good visits.
Maybe next time we will try Mark Hopkins.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:39 pm

IC The Clement Monterey

Booked 2 x Queen Room.
Received 2 x Queen with 'Partial Sea View'

How are the rooms?
The room was well appointed and the view was excellent, not sure why they classed it as Partial Sea View'

How is the exec. lounge?
Don't believe they have one.

The stay was excellent from start to finish.
The staff were very helpful with a genuine caring attitude.
Bar has as really nice setting looking over the bay, with some good entertainment.
Only downside was the local Porsche event, which meant we couldn't get to extend our stay.

Booked using my free credit card night, but for the price originally quoted I would have been happy with the price.
We will certainly try to return in the future.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:51 pm

IC Los Angeles Century City

Booked - 2 Double Bed Superior With Balcony
Received - King Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?
This is our first stay in the renovated rooms.
They have been nicely done, with a modern feel.
Plenty of charging points etc.

The King Junior Suite worked well for us.
As the living area sofa was converted to a bed, and there was still a separate chair to lounge on.

How is the exec. lounge?
Don't believe they have one.

Our suite was very clean and had excellent views. Had 2 x excellent breakfasts, both days we selected the breakfast buffet and liked that the buffet options changed each day as well as the excellent omelet station.

For the standard of accommodation and service, we experienced we were happy with the price we paid.
Will certainly return.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:21 am

Programs: M&M mainly
Intercontinental, Bucharest

Booked - King Club room
Received - Suite

How are the rooms?
There were 2 connected rooms, in one there was a king bed and in other one there was sofa, coffee table, armchair and the desk.
Room furniture a bit dated, no charging points at the desk, 1 per bed table. No USB plugs in.

How is the exec. lounge?
Located at 21th floor, offers great view of the city.
Evening spread was very generous with several hot and cold options.
Sparkling wine, 2 types of white and red wines, however half of them sweet or semi sweet.
Basic booze. Food offered 6 - 8 pm, alcohol stays till 9 pm.
Breakfast also very nice, they serve coffee, tea to the table and there is an option to order some eggs.

The suite was clean and had excellent views from a huge balcony.
The lounge gets crowded and noisy during evening.
The city traffc jam is just ridiculous, it takes over 1 hour by taxi from the airport, but this is not hotel's fault..

Very happy about price / offer ratio, would return definitely.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by AhogZ; Oct 7, 2018 at 5:34 am Reason: adding the name of the hotel :-)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:12 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
IC Malta

Lowest category club room >> junior suite with pool view on 14th floor

How are the rooms?
In need of renovation/refurbishment.
Unnecessarily large walk-in wardrobe.
Tiled floors with carpet only around the bed
Comfortable bed and sofa, large table
No sockets by bed
Good selection of toiletries and bathroom amenities
Poor thermostatic control of shower

How is the exec. lounge?
Efficient checking in and out
Excellent attentive service and large numbers of staff present all day
Great breakfast comparable to restaurant breakfast at other hotels
Wide selection of non-alcoholic drinks
Could have provided more substantial offerings later in the day, however, the evening service is specifically described as "pre-dinner", so it met the description.

Good - lounge, spire/amb recognition
Bad - room

Paid €125 per night with the Amb Cert which was great value, compared to the €96 prepaid rate at the HIX next door (which used to be part of the IC)!

The club rate without BOGO cert would have been €230, which I feel is a bit high. As the lounge was the best part of the stay, I don't see the point of staying here in a non-club room. So the answer is, I would return but only at mid-winter prices.

I also made a post on the Master Thread with a more personal report.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
IC Ruijin Shanghai China

What is your IHG Status?
Spire Ambassador IC

Booked a Club room, was hoping for an upgrade to Club suite. I mis-judged the room hierarchy, for them it was Club room, Club deluxe room, Standard suite, Club suite. They gave me a Standard suite with Club access, actually a double upgrade, which I was fine with. I also used the Amb BOGO cert, so happy to have suite. Finally, had booked third night as separate reservation, 35K pts for standard room. They let me stay in suite all three nights. The agent was pretty busy when I checked in, thought I would get away with third night with no up-charge, they called back next day and said it should be $120 more, would make me deal for only $60 more. I was happy with that, plus $300 for first night, so only $360 for three nights in very nice suite with club access.

How are the rooms?
Very nice suite, good view. Good sized living room, bedroom and bathroom. The Ruijin is really a residential compound, based on an old residence in the heart of Shanghai. So it is several buildings with greens and gardens all around, surrounded by a wall separating them from the city. So very relaxed, quiet type of location. The main hotel is about ten stories, modern yet well blended in, nice restaurant, etc. So our room was in this building, overlooking the compound. We could even open the windows fully - after signing a release that we took responsibility! The Club was a separate building with Club rooms and suites and the lounge. So small downside that we had to walk over to other building, but it gave good reason for leg stretching. Weather was good and walk wasn't far.

How is the exec. lounge?
The lounge was outstanding. Classic dark wood interior, well staffed. We ate breakfast and dinner there pretty much every day. Mornings had cooked to order items (great eggs Benedict, skip the pancakes), great oatmeal. Evenings had multiple small items, always interesting and tasty. Bar had basic items, standard spirits, only sparkling wine, no champagne. Service was superb, always very attentive.

Good - overall feel of property, relaxed, professional, comfortable. Got a nice leather credit card holder as Amb gift. Had fruit and plenty of water every day.

Club lounge

Bad - not being in club building (not that bad), light switches that seem to make no sense in turning some or all lights on/off

I thought it was excellent value. Happy to return.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:06 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Information about Questions regarding lounge access

Posts regarding lounge access for Ambassador members have been moved to this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...formation.html

Thank you

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
IC KL

Club room >>large suite on 29th floor

Hotel +ives:
- Good location in the heart of KL
- Excellent staff, in particular all of the Club lounge team
- Lovely refurbed suite, with excellent bed, large TV and amenities, such as complimentary laundry

Hotel -ives:
- Reasonably poor selection of TV channels
- Need better outlet access in the room (USB ports, plugs, etc to charge devices)
- Amb gift was a rather useless wash bag which I left behind

How is the exec. lounge?
Great, attentive staff
Good breakfast offer and decent coffee
Evening spread OK - not especially substantial, but OK

Paid £160 p/n - overall pleased with the price paid for what I received
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
review deleted

removed
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by 1flyer; Dec 11, 2018 at 1:05 am
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
IC London O2

IC London O2

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Booked king club, received king deluxe suite.

How are the rooms? Great, Nespresso machine, sofa and comfortable bed. View of Canary Wharf.

How is the exec. lounge? We loved it. For a stay of one night, we had afternoon tea twice, evening canapés and breakfast. Egg dishes can be ordered at breakfast.

What was good and what was bad? Two bottles of water were in the room, at evening turn down we were given three more. Fruit bowl was generous with seven fruits. Ambassador gift was a box of macaroons and my son received a large mug full of candy and marshmallows for hot choc. Bad as ever is the limited time that under 18s can use the pool.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? This was our third visit and we will be back.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Ambassador
IC Times Square

What is your Priority Club status?

Spire Amb

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Just about.

1 King Bed Deluxe Corner Room >> Exactly the same but on a higher floor, called a 'Sky View'

Hotel +ives:
- Good that there's a subway station at the corner of the hotel... useful for getting to the airport
- Staff seemed nice

Hotel -ives:
- stupid resort fee, which I did my very best to take full advantage of (breakfast each day, mini-bar, laundry)
- poor quality breakfast
- rooms are not that much better than a decent HI
- taxes still to pay on top of everything... gotta love the US

How is the exec. lounge?
What exec lounge?

Stupidly expensive - cost me about £400 p/n but was actually one of the cheaper IHG options in Manhattan when I needed to be there
Give me an IC in Europe or Asia anyday
FLYGVA and patmcpsu like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Silver
InterContinental San Francisco Howard Street

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Booked King bed standard, received one-level upgrade to Classic View (I think) on the 23rd floor.

How are the rooms? Terrific. Modern and the design has a sleek, clean feel to it. In very good conditions. Massive flat-screen TV on the wall; USB socket by the bedside tables which is nice.

How is the exec. lounge? N/A.

What was good and what was bad? Offered either amenity points or free drink at the bar at check-in. I didn't think it's usually one or the other, but I'd already received amenity points the night before I checked in so I didn't raise this as an issue and opted for the drink (no spirits, sparkling wine or cocktails). Also received chocolates at check-in and savoury nuts at turn-down. A large glass bottle of Evian at turn-down on the first night, and two smaller bottles on the day of check-out.

Nothing bad came to my mind.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Used Ambassador certificate. Cash rate was ok ($200 plus tax) but wouldn't go again unless I use the certificate or have Accelerate targets to meet.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Intercontinental Prague

Booked 1 Bed Junior Suite - received 2 bed King Family Room

We had booked 2 x Jnr Suites for 3 adults total. The hotel assumed (without checking) that there were three adults in each room and changed our bookings to two family rooms on check in day - effectively a downgrade. As this was a 50th birthday treat, v disappointing. Check in staff were flustered but tried to help, however hotel was completely full. Manager came over to apologies profusely, but ultimately nothing could be done. We got club access comped, breakfast in the restaurant downstairs.

How are the rooms?
Large (long..) with full dining table and sofa. Decor a little old school and not particularly glamorous, but fine. A small window at the end of the room with a view over the street.

How is the exec. lounge?
Split into a number of smaller rooms. A mix of tables/chairs and sofas. Decent food spread in the evening (could be a meal replacement). Variety of spirits (nothing too pricy), mixers and soft drinks. Some wine of each colour. Lounge did not seem to be staffed most of the time, but did not run out of food or drink at any stage.

Good - location - close to river and easy walk down to Old Town Square.
Good - staff, all great. Helpful, friendly and engaging without being intrusive.
Good - breakfast in the restaurant, great variety. Local, standard western and selection of eastern/Asian. Plenty of cheese, meats etc too. Great juices.
Good - welcome amenities were amongst the most elaborately laid out I have seen. Wine, sparkling water, real and dried fruits, nuts in a dramatic display on the sofa table.

Bad - the building is not particularly beautiful. Inside not tatty but could do with a renovation.
Bad - hotel website pictures suggest the Junior Suites have some great views over old Prague - a touch of photoshop I suspect.

Would book a standard room, yes. Not sure the premium for larger rooms is worthwhile. Worth it for staff, location, breakfast/lounge.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
Intercontinental Istanbul

Booked a Club room, got a Taksim View Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?
Big! Sofa and two comfy chairs, separate desk in the living area, comfy chair and ottoman (!!) in the bedroom. Fantastic view, Bosphorus to the left and Galata Tower, Aya Sofia and Suleymanyie mosque on the horizon. Decor slightly dated in style but in fine condition. Big bathroom with separate shower, second toilet off living room.

How is the exec. lounge?
Nice. Views back inland away from Taksim, Bosphorus, and down onto the Bestikas stadium. I initially didn't realise that there was a separate dining area through a door, separate from the rest of the lounge. You could make a meal from the evening food, always seems to be a couple of main-style dishes, and nice selection of nibbles.

What was good and what was bad
Good - location, walk through the square to Istiklal, close to metro.
Good - breakfast available in the main restaurant. Fantastic buffet, huge choice of western, Turkish (yum) and middle eastern food. Was approached with a little gift while eating - Ambassador thank you. Nice touch.
Good - staff, very helpful, friendly.
Good - security. Taxis searched on approach. Metal detector at entrance for guests.
Good - Ambassador welcome fruit plate was decent, also some handmade chocs.

Bad - nothing really springs to mind.

Yes - I loved it. Was hesitant about returning to Istanbul after the recent dramas but I had a fantastic time and the hotel was just great.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by DonPedro; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:11 pm Reason: Incomplete
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:47 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
IC Hua Hin

Booked the lowest, King bed Superior, received two-level upgrade to King Premier in the Beach Wing. Also, used my BOGO as the second night was much more expensive (THB 6000 for first night and THB9000 for the second.)

How are the rooms? Very large and good open feel, as the bathroom uses sliding partitions for the walls that we just left open. Big tub which is always a plus, with separate shower room and toilet enclosure.Great large balcony also with a king sized resting bed outside with nice view of the sea. Only issue is all the lighting controls seem to be difficult to figure out. The room is in very good condition with a comfortable king bed, large flat-screen TV on the wall and good desk area. My preious stay was in a Jr Suite and this room was almost as large.

How is the exec. lounge? It moved to a new location near the pool and beach, but we didn't have access (THB3000/day quoted for that didn't seem worthwhile.)

What was good and what was bad? The amenity points posted immediately which is always nice. Good fruit dish delivered shortly after we got into the room (we did have to wait until about 3pm but we were going into town anyway for lunch so it worked fine.) The breakfast was fantastic as it had plenty of variety, Thai, Chinese, some sushi, as well as western dishes, great salads, and fresh squeezed juices. We had to pay for breakfast, THB690 per person per day, apx 20% discount on the regular rate though I noticed that it can be added on the prepaid rate for less if you book it online. The staff were great, especially Lisa, who came to talk to us both mornings.

Only bad thing is the beach, as the Gulf of Thailand is filthy near Hua Hin, and the high tide wipes out the beach until later in the day. Rainy both days, but can't do much about the weather.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? Used an expiring Ambassador BOGO certificate, which made this a good deal, plus had an Accelerate bonus that required 6 brands, so this finished that off nicely. Hua Hin is not our favorite beach area so probably won't be going again anytime soon.
FLYGVA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.