Ambassador Programm Information

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 24, 19, 5:48 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: EDIflyer
Wiki Link
Ambassador Programme

Ambassador
Ambassador status is unique in as much as it can only be bought, not earned. Ambassador costs $200 (rised from $150 in 2010) per year, and expires 12 months from the end of the month of your purchase (join at https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...?offerId=WBJIC).

You can also join by spending 32,000 Priority Club points – e-mail Priority Club if you would like to do this. Renewal is $100 per year or 20,000 PC points.

If used correctly, Ambassador can be the greatest bargain in travel.
The core benefits are since March 01, 2019

1. GUARANTEED PLATINUM ELITE STATUS IN IHG REWARDS CLUB
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  3. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  4. WELCOME FRUIT PLATTER (instead of welcome fruits and gifts) <== Only for Greater China Stays !
  5. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS FOR STAYS IN GREATER CHINA ONLY:

1. One complimentary breakfast every night you stay
  2. 15% discount on restaurants and bars

Prior to February 01, 2019 the benefits were

• a voucher for a free weekend night,
  • a guaranteed one-level upgrade,
  • guaranteed 4pm late check-out,
  • a voucher for 5,000 free Priority Club points,
  • use of the airport chauffeur service (at a fee, so not much of a benefit),
  • one free Pay TV movie per stay,
  • a welcome gift per stay (some are good, some are naff!),
  • no additional charge for double occupancy (at hotels which charge extra)
  • and free fruit and mineral water
  • IHG Reward Club Gold Status

Royal Ambassador status
The criteria for achieving RA status is once again something of a mystery, spend is now thought to be a factor. See New RA qualifying criteria based on IC Revenue
The benefits of RA status, above the Ambassador benefits, are the above mentioned Ambassador benfits and

For Royal Ambassadors, the new benefits starts from February 01, 2019 will be:

1. EARLY CHECK-IN from 10AM (instead of 8AM)
  2. ONE COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST FOR EVERY NIGHT YOU STAY IN IC HOTELS IN MAINLAND CHINA ONLY ( Hong Kong hotels are excluded )
  3. UP TO TWO COMPLIMENTARY FULL BREAKFASTS PER DAY IF THERE IS NO CLUB LOUNGE
  4. UPTO 50USD/200RMB/400HKD MINIBAR CREDIT PER DAY (200USD/800RMB/1600HKD PER STAY MAX)
  5. WAIVED DESTINATION/AMENITY FEES
  6. COMPLIMENTARY WEEKEND NIGHT CERTIFICATE WITH E-DELIVERY
  7. AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GUARANTEE (See below)
  8. [Officially Added Benefits] FREE NIGHTS AT AN IHG PROPERTY (capped at 70K points value)
  9. [Officially Added Benefits] HERTZ GOLD PLUS REWARDS PRESIDENTS' CIRCLE MEMBERSHIP

Prior to February 01, 2019 the benefits where

• a two-level upgrade (and often a suite upgrade),
  • a guaranteed 8am check-in,
  • a free mini-bar,
  • free health club access (although most IC clubs are free anyway)
  • 1,000 additional bonus points per stay.
  • IHG Rewards Club Platinum Status

AMBASSADOR BENEFIT GURANTEE work as bellow:

1. Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  2. 16:00 (4p.m.) Late Check-out: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit up to USD50, or 10,000 IHG Rewards Club points per stay, applies to InterContinental Ambassador and Royal Ambassador only;
  3. New Club InterContinental Lounge Access or alternative Club experience: Member must be given a food and beverage or Spa credit of USD100 per night, not exceeding the Club InterContinental upgrade supplement value, applies to Royal Ambassador only.

These benefits are ONLY valid at InterContinental-branded hotels. The 'two-level upgrade' is not published policy, but is generally how most hotels interpret the rules - you could do better and it is not impossible, although rare, to do worse.
For Information about the IHG Rewards Club Programm see this thread: IHG Rewards Club Programm Information

-----

Common questions about Ambassador status

If I pay for Ambassador membership do I keep the same Priority Club number?
Yes. Your Ambassador number is also your PC number. If you are not already a PC member, you will be enrolled automatically at Gold level. Your Ambassador membership card will also be your PC membership card going forward.

What are the conditions for using the free weekend night certificate?
The voucher is valid for consecutive Fri / Sat or Sat / Sun stays, except for the Middle East where it is Thu / Fri or Fri / Sat. You must pay for the Friday night if claiming Saturday free or the Saturday night if claiming Sunday free. You cannot decide which night is to be the free one – if staying Fri / Sat / Sun then Sat is free. You MUST present your voucher at check-in or the hotel can – and often will – refuse it. You cannot use the voucher on suites.
Starting in 2010, only special BOGO rates could booked.

How long does the free weekend night voucher last?
Following a recent change, the voucher is valid for 12 months from the date you join Ambassador.

Are there any blackout dates for using free weekend night certificates?
No. If the hotel is selling rooms for that weekend it must accept the voucher. Remember that you cannot use the voucher on suites.

What is a BOGO / BOGOF?
This is FT slang for the free weekend night voucher – it is shorthand for ‘buy one, get one free’

How do I book my free weekend night?
You have to book the special rate using http://www.intercontinental.com/ambweekend (Which is not always working)

How are free weekend night certificates treated for points and stay count?
You should receive the usual points for your stay because of the paid night - if you don't, contact the Ambassador service desk. For a two-night weekend stay, you should only receive 1 night stay credit, although some hotels will give you 2 nights credit. If you receive 0 nights credit, contact the Ambassador desk.

When are upgrades allocated?
often only at check-in. However, some hotels upgrade in advance, especially for Royal Ambassadors. If you review you stay on the PC website in the days before your stay you may see that you have been upgraded already – although this upgrade can still change for better or worse!

Are vouchers transferable?
No and given the recent exeperience with IHG / PC / Ambassador you risk losing your status because you are not within the t&c anymore.

Is there any way of getting free Ambassador status?
There are occasionally promotions that offer free IC status to anyone who has three stays at an InterContinental-branded property within a specific period of time. However, as you are missing out on the upgrade, free TV movie and fruit and water on these three stays, you are arguably better to pay the $200 upfront.

How long does my Ambassador kit take to arrive?
3-4 weeks, wherever you live (they are mailed from the US). Your status is upgraded on line immediately, but you cannot do your ‘free weekend night’ without having the physical voucher in your hand.

What is a ‘one level upgrade’?
Usually it is to the next category of room show in the PC booking system, so ‘Classic’ to ‘Superior’ for example. However, a hotel is within its rights to give you the best room in the category you booked – if half the rooms overlook a car park and half don’t, you may just be guaranteed a non car-park view, for example.

Can I be upgraded to a Club room?
It is rare for a hotel to give an Ambassador club access. Club access is often available at a discounted rate, however (eg IC London gives a 50% discount).

Do I get free breakfast as an Ambassador?
No, unless you get a Club upgrade (see above)

Do I get early check-in as well as the advertised late check-out?
No, early check-in is only a benefit for Royal Ambassadors

Is the 5,000 PC points voucher transferable?
Yes – you can enter the activation code on any PC account and it will credit 5,000 points to that account.It is also common for FT’ers to swap the 5,000 point vouchers with other Ambassadors for the free weekend night certificates through FT's 'Coupon Connection' (only visible after 90 posts and 90 days FT membership). discontinued

Do I need to rebook my existing bookings after I become Ambassador?
You may want to rebook any flexible bookings you have, as your status is sent to the hotel at the time of booking and may not necessarily update until the day of arrival.

Is there any point joining Ambassador if I never stay at InterContinental-branded properties?
Not really. You will be upgraded to PC Platinum, which is valid at HI, HIX, CP etc but – as outlined in Post 1 – Platinum benefits are very minimal. You have to earn SPIRE with on regular qualificiaton requirments.

Are there special room rates for Ambassadors?
Some IC hotels run special promotions for Ambassador members. These are highlighted in the monthly e-mail newsletter and on the Ambassador website at priorityclub.com/ambassador.

Can I be comped to Ambassador from Hilton Plat / SPG Plat etc?
No. You must purchase Ambassador status.

What is the ‘Ambassador Private Community’?
You may see reference to this on FT. This was an InterContinental-runs invitation-only community for 300 Ambassadors and RA’s. It was closed by IC in May 2009.

Common questions about Royal Ambassador status

Are there restrictions on the free mini-bar?
Yes, now limited to a certain amount per night / stay. Free Minibar discontunied. Some hotels do not allow you to take out snacks for free (check at check-in). Some hotels (IC Stockholm) claim that they cannot give free alcohol due to local law. Some hotels remove high value items from the mini-bar before an RA checks in, and some hotels do not refill an RA's mini-bar every day (in both cases, you are within your rights to ring the front desk and ask for it to be properly filled). Theoretically, free drinks are for 'in-room consumption only' so the hotel could charge if you emptied the contents into your suitcase on the way out - although I can't think of a case where this has happened. The IC Amstel in Amsterdam is generally regarded as having the best mini-bar of any IC! To avoid confusion, ALWAYS ask at check-in about the free mini-bar policy at that hotel, even if you are a regular guest.

Do RA (and Amb) benefits apply on reward stays?
Officially no. However, check out FT reports. Most hotels do give RA and Ambassador benefits even on reward stays.

How long does RA status last?
RA lasts for the remainder of your current Ambassador status. This means that you are likely to get less than 12 months benefit, although if you are only a couple of months from your Ambassador expiry date you will probably receive 13-14 months of RA instead of 1-2.

As you approach expiry, PC will review your account and notify you if you are going to retain RA or not, again based on whether you are averaging the 50-60 nights.

What happens if I lose RA status?
You drop down to Ambassador, and receive a free year of Ambassador, saving the usual $100 renewal fee. You will then drop down to Gold if you do not pay your Ambassador fee the following year.

You will also retain your PC Spite status for the remainder of the calendar year following your demotion. So … in January 2010 you may be a ‘Platinum Royal Ambassador’. If you lose RA status in March 2010, you will drop to ‘Platinum Ambassador’ until December 2010. From Jan-March 2011 you will be ‘Gold Ambassador’ (assuming you don’t earn 60,000 points to retain Plat) and from March 2011 onwards (assuming you don’t pay $100 to retain Ambassador) you will be a simple ‘Gold’ member until December 2011. If you don’t retain Gold you then drop to ‘Club’ member.

Tell me about Royal Ambassador referral certificates
When you become a Royal Ambassador (and each year you are renewed) you will receive a voucher which you can give to a friend to give them automatic RA status. This is free, although they will have to pay $200 to join Ambassador if they are not already a member. Status will last to the end of their Ambassador year, so up to 12 months although it can be less. If a referred member does not stay enough nights to retain RA, they will drop down to Ambassador. Referred RA’s do NOT receive a referral certificate anymore (they did historically) although some occasionally slip through the net.

Referral certificates are often available on ebay (for $500+, often as much as £500+) or via FT’s Coupon Connection. However, now that benefits are restricted to 12 months maximum, it is debatable whether the certificates are worth the money unless you have a lot of IC stays planned. (Historically you could buy a certificate and resell the one you received in return, thus effectively paying nothing for RA membership, but this is no longer possible as referred members do not receive a certificate.)

If you receive a referral and you are not already an Ambassador, it makes sense to join Ambassador first and then, a week or so later, post in your RA referral form. This ensures that you receive two ‘welcome’ boxes (one for Amb, one for RA) and thus receive 2 x 5,000 point vouchers and 2 x free weekend night vouchers. Sometimes IC will remove the second 5,000 point and BOGO vouchers from the RA box if you do this, but it is not common.

There is no box on the RA referral form for existing Ambassadors to write their membership data. You should cross through the credit card lines and write somewhere on the form ‘Already Ambassador – PC number is 12345678’.

RA referrals certificates are valid for six months from the date of issue. You will receive your RA kit within 3-4 weeks of submitting your form to the US, although your status will change online within a few days. Certificates must be posted to the US – faxes, PDF’s etc are not acceptable.
discontinued

How do I know what benefits RA’s get at particular hotels?
Look at the ‘RA experience’ sticky in this forum, where there are over 1,000 experiences posted.

Do RA’s get Club access?
With the new rules since Februry 01, 2019 you should.

Do RA’s get free breakfast?
With the new rules, if the hotels does not provided a lounge

Do I need to rebook my existing bookings after I become Royal Ambassador?
You may want cancel existing flexible bookings you have already made, including redemption bookings (check availability is still there first!), and rebook to ensure your new status rather than your old status is attached to your booking. For any other advanced bookings, including those on non-cancellable cash or points bookings, you should consider e-mailing the hotel and informing them of your new status. Your email should include your booking confirmation numbers and dates of your stay. This will help ensure (although nothing is certain) that your upgrade is allocated before you arrive.

Can I be comped to RA from Hilton Plat / SPG Plat etc?
No. It has never been done to our knowledge. Don’t waste the pixels.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 27, 08, 7:01 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Ambassador Programm Information

This newly created thread is dedicated to discussion and information about the Ambassador and Royal Ambassador Programm. It was taken from the former master thread about the programm, which was once created by Raffles, which has been edited. Since we think, that everybody should have the ability to add new information and discuss this topic with a dedicated thread, this one was created.

The Wiki at the top of the thread can be edited by flyertalker who has 90 post and is registered on flyertalker for more than 90 days.

The previous discussion of Priority Club / IHG Rewards Club and Ambassador Programm could be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...er-thread.html

This thread is now closed.

FLYGVA & szg
moderator of the IHG Forum

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 4, 15 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 4, 15, 8:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Hi all,

haven't found the answer to my question by search...
Can soneone tell me if the ambassador 5000points voucher should still count as elite qualifying points? Like on wiki written it seems so, but after deposition of the points they don't show as qualifying in my account.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by fairchecker; Jan 4, 15 at 4:23 pm Reason: editing after move of post
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:43 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fairchecker View Post
Hi all,

Can soneone tell me if the ambassador 5000points voucher should still count as elite qualifying points? Like on wiki written it seems so, but after deposition of the points they don't show as qualifying in my account.

Thanks in advance!
Since Jan2013, only earned qualifying rate (including incdentals f+b) monies count towards qualifying points.
(And some paid for bonuses as part of a reservation option of 1k/2k/5k as a booking option are qualifying)

All other points gained, voucher-codes, bonuses, purchases, promos, 50% plat bonus etc , are non-qualifing (and that non-qual includes the 5k Ambassador points on renewal)
Old Jan 5, 15, 8:10 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
my points certificate post as elite qualifying though. (I just post it 2 months back)
Old Jan 5, 15, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by BBxCoreb View Post
my points certificate post as elite qualifying though. (I just post it 2 months back)
Mine did not and I posted mine 2 months ago as well, there seems to be no pattern.
Old Jan 6, 15, 7:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
I purchased Ambassador last year in May and have so far not stayed in any InterContinental hotels... Clever i know.

Now if i want to go for Royal Ambassador status this year, whats the best way to go about this? If i have 10 nights before my renewal and 10 nights later in the year along with another 40 paid IHG stays, will i qualify then or will all stays need to be from when after i renew?

I joined using points as i'll be redeeming a lot of points this year and wanted the 10% rebate for $200 when offered...
Old Jan 6, 15, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG RA (Spire), MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, National EE
Originally Posted by snevillio View Post
I purchased Ambassador last year in May and have so far not stayed in any InterContinental hotels... Clever i know.

Now if i want to go for Royal Ambassador status this year, whats the best way to go about this? If i have 10 nights before my renewal and 10 nights later in the year along with another 40 paid IHG stays, will i qualify then or will all stays need to be from when after i renew?

I joined using points as i'll be redeeming a lot of points this year and wanted the 10% rebate for $200 when offered...
If you want to qualify for RA status, you will need 60 nights (including 20 IC nights in three different locations) within the 365 days following your ambassador renewal.
Old Jan 6, 15, 10:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by emurray077 View Post
If you want to qualify for RA status, you will need 60 nights (including 20 IC nights in three different locations) within the 365 days following your ambassador renewal.
Thankyou for that, so its a year from signing up/renewing rather than a calendar year like the other IHG statuses...
Old Jan 6, 15, 10:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by fairchecker View Post
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I've called the ambassador desk, the short answer was that the 5000 points do not count as elite qualifying.

BR
Old Jan 6, 15, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG RA (Spire), MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, National EE
Thankyou for that, so its a year from signing up/renewing rather than a calendar year like the other IHG statuses...
Correct. It is referred to as the "ambassador year" rather than the "calendar year".
Old Jan 6, 15, 8:32 pm

Assuming you clocked up at least 40nights at qualifying rates at non-IC's like HIE/HI/CP since May post buying Ambassador (and remember award nights do NOT count as part of 60nights needed to qualify as RA),

Then before your Ambassador year expires, you need 20x paid qualifying IC nights in at least 3x different IC hotels.

If you do not make IC stays this year by May, you can repurchase/extend Ambassador for us$150/200 and as soon as you complete 20 IC nights get RA

The RA qualifying check is a rolling 365 days, so eg 10 IX nights in Feb2015 and 10 IC nights in August 2015 would meet the IC 20nights requirements.
Old Jan 31, 15, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver/MM, IHG Platinum/RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Question: My ambassador renewal month is August 2015. I got upgraded to RA status this month and when I got my RA card, the expiration date printed was August 2015 which matches my Ambassador status. When I renew my Ambassador in August, will I maintain my RA status then?
Old Feb 1, 15, 2:20 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by Iflynwa View Post
When I renew my Ambassador in August, will I maintain my RA status then?
You won't be able to renew it. Either IHG will extend your RA status till August 2016 or they'll downgrade you to Platinum Ambassador for free.
Old Feb 5, 15, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Two questions, one probably stupid.

First, I got Gold status recently. Got my first IC stay in San Francisco next month.
If I were to buy Ambassador, what, if anything happens, with regards to the automatic gold status that comes with it?

i.e. nothing as I'm already gold; it adds an extra year or extends this year etc?

Secondly, the weekend certificate.
Are these only useable at the weekend? Looking at a midweek stay in Hong Kong rather than a weekend.
Old Feb 5, 15, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by xenole View Post
Two questions, one probably stupid.

First, I got Gold status recently. Got my first IC stay in San Francisco next month.
If I were to buy Ambassador, what, if anything happens, with regards to the automatic gold status that comes with it?

i.e. nothing as I'm already gold; it adds an extra year or extends this year etc?

Secondly, the weekend certificate.
Are these only useable at the weekend? Looking at a midweek stay in Hong Kong rather than a weekend.

Bogo is Thurs-Sat Middle East (the M. E. weekend) and Fri-Sun in other areas. Bogo can not be used midweek

Ambassador status does not follow Jan-Dec calendar year. Instead a rolling 12month starting first full month after signing up (in effect apply early in month to get almost 13months in first year) and unless you qualify during 12months as Platinum , you keep to Amb-Gold that 12months.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: