Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Most important points to consider for a valid BRG:

1. The comparison website MUST bill in the same currency as the hotel .

2. The cancellation terms must be equal or better, than the terms by the hotels.

3. The Website needs to provide INSTANT confirmation.

4. The room names should match, but if you can demonstrate, that the room is comparable, it will also work with discrepancies in the name.

5. The price difference has to be more than either USD 1 or 1% (whichever is higher).
5.b In regards to hotels located in australia and New Zealand the price difference must be greater than 3% .

Hotels for which you will get reimbursed:
(Note: There have been significant problems with getting full reimbursements from IHG, especially for reimbursements in other currencies than USD)

IC Istanbul ( BRG claim from the 17.05.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

IC Frankfurt ( BRG claim from the 20.08.2013/ "Technical Difficulties")

Link to the Terms and Conditions : https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...rms-conditions

Older Thread (Prior to December 31, 2016) could be found here. The Wiki was taken from this thread.
Print Wikipost

New IHG Best Rate Guarantee - Discussion & Feedback from January 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Boddingtons
I had a source that could moreorless guarantee a UK BRG every time.

As of yesterday all IHG inventory had been pulled from their website. Had this been in one or two cities it may have been a coincidence but since it's nationwide (if not global) it would appear someone has taken a more serious look into it as it would have been pretty much a singular source for valid UK claims, expect perhaps for some London airports.
Ive had a few of these sites over the past couple of years, I think thats kind of the point so they can muscle them out
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by nacho
They are using these rates to block most of the BRGs, and they are pretty good at doing it because I don't see other rates cheaper than the member's rate for the hotels I need to stay at.
Almost all b2b wholesalers receive the same low rate as the IHG club rate, so its more a matter of which OTA offers the same low price

The real reason why hotels have member rates is because than websites like booking.com can't punish the hotel to offer a lower price on the hotels website.
All contracts that a hotel signs with an OTA states that you are not allowed sell the rooms cheaper on the hotel's own website than on the OTA, OTAs check that a LOT and if for example booking.com finds out you are selling the room rate cheaper on the hotel website, they are delisting you.
But if you sell a lower price as a member rate you won't get punished because those rates are excluded in the contract, a little loophole in the system...

The reason why OTAs don't like the member rates much is cause customers are finding hotels through OTAs and then google the property and realize they can book a member rate on the hotel's website themselves, so booking.com is not getting their 10% commission and the hotel pretty much saved the 10%, so its free advertisement on booking.com

If you look at other BRG programmes, you are not required to use the member only rate to compare with OTA rates.
Yes, but none of the other BPGs (except ...... Choice) gives you a free night, only adjusts to the lower found price and gives you max 50$ discount, so I'm more happy about more restricted t&c and free nights as a result.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
have to roll the dice?

So far only have experience with SPG BRG (where you can book a refundable rate but still BRG against the lowest rate on SPG website).

Now looking at my first IHG BRG opportunity. If I understand the T&C correctly, you must book the lowest rate on IHG (which is typically prepaid and nonrefundable)? If that's the case, then one is rolling the dice -- if the BRG is rejected, then one is stuck with the IHG booking?

Thanks for your confirmation in advance
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:08 pm

Your understanding of the t&c's is correct, you must indeed book the absolute lowest room rate to be eligible for the BPG guarantee.

And indeed, the evaluation by the BPG department is, even after having mastered the rules, always subject to their discretion. They sometimes do have difficulties in finding your lower rate, or simply interpret their rules differently.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by FrugalLuxury
if the BRG is rejected, then one is stuck with the IHG booking?
Yes, that's why you need to either find a refundable rate or make sure that you're ok with the rate.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by fuyao

The reason why OTAs don't like the member rates much is cause customers are finding hotels through OTAs and then google the property and realize they can book a member rate on the hotel's website themselves, so booking is not getting their 10% commission and the hotel pretty much saved the 10%, so its free advertisement on booking.

FYI minimum booking commission is 17% !
Hotels also can decide to gradually increase commission up to 50%, if they have too much availability and/or want to move their properties all the way up on bookings recommendations list.

For instance a top rated hotel in lets say Paris can be at the very end of the 500+ hotel listing if they "only" give 17% to booking; but a bad hotel with the lowest customer satisfaction and reviews can end up in bookings top ten if they set their account to give 50% commission.

Last edited by Stealthmode; Jul 29, 2016 at 5:47 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Emerald; IHG S, SPG P, HH D, HGP D, Accor P, Carlson G
following situation:

3rd-party site rate (with breakfast) is lower than the cheapest IHG rate (prepaid, no breakfast).

is this BRG'able? or would IHG reject it claiming something like "the breakfast is an add-on/package rate and therefore not comparable to IHG rate"?

thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by FrugalLuxury
following situation:

3rd-party site rate (with breakfast) is lower than the cheapest IHG rate (prepaid, no breakfast).

is this BRG'able? or would IHG reject it claiming something like "the breakfast is an add-on/package rate and therefore not comparable to IHG rate"?

thanks!
Yes - rejection. This rule change, combined with rejections of OTAs on grounds they don't offer instant confirmation if their rates don't fall in line with IHG's, has pretty much killed the BPG.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:10 am

I finally got my cheque for my May stay.

Amount seems a little low, and there is no breakdown. I noticed earlier someone mentioned they got it in USD. Is this always the case, even If the hotel was Canadian and paid in CAD?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by scoobybpc
I finally got my cheque for my May stay.

Amount seems a little low, and there is no breakdown. I noticed earlier someone mentioned they got it in USD. Is this always the case, even If the hotel was Canadian and paid in CAD?
Nevermind.. Went to my bank and they said USD and had no problem depositing/converting it to cad. finally IHG!
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:38 am

Had a approval within 30 minutes last night - things changed? First attempt, first site (those of you who submit mutliple sites per claim). Also noticed a new Agents name.. interesting
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:36 am

Not sure how the turnover is over there, but if you look up some of the agent's names on Facebook... most of them seem pretty happy with IHG
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Not sure how the turnover is over there, but if you look up some of the agent's names on Facebook... most of them seem pretty happy with IHG
Yeah im familiar with the program and agents names for past 3 years. Sad as it seems but I do notice the new agents names..
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:14 am

As I find the T&C utterly misleading, I brought my BRG case to court in UK. To go short: IHG refunded the night and court fees.

Last June, I booked a night with a Crowne Plaza in Europe through IHG. Choose the lowest rate (room only) and elsewhere the rate incl BF was lower. Claim got rejected because the offer was not identical. Booked a second time, the cheapest room with BF. Claim got rejected again: didn't book the cheapest room (without breakfast). Stayed the night, opened a case with the HM Courts & Tribunal Service in UK. Within 3 weeks, I got a letter with a check, covering both the night, breakfast and court fees.

Opening a case with the Courts & Tribunal Service is very straightforward, can be done online and costs 25pounds.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:49 am

Lawsuits are more likely to lead to the end of this promo. Anyone want to share some finds?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.