Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Changes in management

i have noticed that quite a few people have been changed out in the hotel's management - in particular a new GM. Hopefully, the previous management took some of their negative attitude towards the Ambassador program with them when they left (see earlier posts in this thread + RA experiences thread).
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by ILS2
i have noticed that quite a few people have been changed out in the hotel's management - in particular a new GM. Hopefully, the previous management took some of their negative attitude towards the Ambassador program with them when they left (see earlier posts in this thread + RA experiences thread).
this is great news
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: IHG
Unfortunately, from reading recent reviews, it appears that nothing has changed. Staff still awful, and they still begrudge Ambassadors and Royal Ambassadors. Ironically, these guests could make them a lot of money, but there's just no goodwill at this property any more.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by turner32
Unfortunately, from reading recent reviews, it appears that nothing has changed. Staff still awful, and they still begrudge Ambassadors and Royal Ambassadors. Ironically, these guests could make them a lot of money, but there's just no goodwill at this property any more.
I just read the entire thread and was taken back at the attitude of the management team of this property. However, it was posted on the 5th that the management team has been changed, so something has changed, and I hope the new team makes the necessary changes that are needed. We plan on staying here but not until Aug, so the new team has 4 months to make things happen.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Strange that these issues have occurred as IHG still has an ownership interest (19 or 20 %) in this property according to their 2017 annual report and I believe they also have a long term management contract. That does not leave a good impression.

Personally, I haven't stayed at the IC Barclay due to similar issues for at least 10 years and had planned on giving them a second chance to redeem themselves, but, I think I'll pass, having read the full thread.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I was actually booked in again on a reward stay. I then started looking at Marriott options (I was never a Marriott person and it is only via SPG points I can book them).

Lo and behold, JW Marriott Essex House is only 45k Marriott per night, has just finished a full refurbishment and will give me club access as Marriottt Gold (matched from my SPG Gold). And brekky seems to be in a reserved area of the main restaurant with pretty much the same spread. Have decided this is better value than 70k per night (less 10% Ambassador rebate) at the Barclay, room only.

Note Essex House has a $25 resort fee but comes with a $25 food and beverage credit so I can just about live with it.
Roger likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Am returning to the Barclay in April, but my last visit in February ranked as one of my worst.
  • Low floor room
  • Next to elevator
  • "Double upgraded room" was in fact an Executive room. (I had paid for a Club executive room - was told the upgrade came with "free Club lounge access"
  • No water or fruit or anything else on arrival
Truly a disappointing stay
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keunings
Hi Matthew, sorry to hear about your bad experience at the IC Barclay. I work for the supplier of the towels, Resuinsa and we really appreciate your good feedback.
The people that we talk to have always been amazing and awesome to work with. I do hope that you would give the Barclay another chance so next time you can enjoy the "Resuinsa" quality as well when you sleep.

Kind regards
Tim Koninckx
got to say i loved the Towels!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
How’s the lounge here? Thinking about using my AMB BOGO free night here and buying Club room. Worth an extra $100?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG RA Spire
Originally Posted by BarryL
How’s the lounge here? Thinking about using my AMB BOGO free night here and buying Club room. Worth an extra $100?
Good breakfast, but the evening snacks/drinks was not anything special (at least not during my last visit). If you are more than one person who will enjoy the lounge access, the breakfast alone might be worth it.
Old May 12, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
I have to book 9 rooms in NYC for a group trip I am leading in November and I am thinking of booking the Barclay with CL access for everyone. If it is possible, could anyone tell me if there evening offer is substantial enough to act as dinner? I ask as when doing the maths staying here on the CL rate works out slightly chraper than staying at most other hotels in the area once I take into account food costs. Additionally, what are the afternoon options like?
Old May 12, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
I have to book 9 rooms in NYC for a group trip I am leading in November and I am thinking of booking the Barclay with CL access for everyone. If it is possible, could anyone tell me if there evening offer is substantial enough to act as dinner? I ask as when doing the maths staying here on the CL rate works out slightly chraper than staying at most other hotels in the area once I take into account food costs. Additionally, what are the afternoon options like?
You may already know this, but the InterContinental New York Barclay is available with additional complimentary benefits through both Virtuoso and IHG’s New Luxury & Lifestyle program. Here are the benefits that are included with both programs.

Virtuoso (no minimum stay requirement)
- Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
- Complimentary Buffet Breakfast for two daily for duration of the stay served in Club InterContinental
- Complimentary access to Club InterContinental Lounge
- Early check-in/late check-out, subject to availability
- Complimentary Wi-Fi

IHG Luxury & Lifestyle (2-night minimum stay requirement)
- Guaranteed late check-out (until 4pm )
- Breakfast for two, daily at Hotel restaurant
- Value added amenity, specific to hotel ($100 value per stay)
- Upgrade to Next Room category (subject to availability on arrival)
- Free Wi-Fi ( unlimited devices)
- Turndown Service as appropriate by brand
- Handwritten, personalized welcome card
- Bottled water, fresh fruit, and snacks in room upon arrival
- No walk policy
- Priority waitlist

Travel advisors that have access to these programs (Virtuoso and IHG L&L) would be happy to check rates and availability for your dates. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Absolutely not. While the breakfast is quite nice, the evening choices are paltry and definitely canapes, not dinner.
Old May 16, 2018, 5:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Staying here now

Plus:
very warm welcome by reception
thanking and acknowledging RA
2 free drinks at bar + bonus points
explained RA use of minibar (everything inclusive except food)
proactive offering to help with luggage

inroom:
fruits and bottled water ready and replenished
goodnight chocolates from Neuhaus
minibar properly stocked ith booze
1 bedroom suite is clean, comfy and modern

club:
friendly staff
breakfast good, hors d'ouvre fancy nibble but no dinner material (called pre-theatre service)
enough seats
boogie woogie puano music
unlimited sweet jars

BAD
suite on level 4 - i was peeking into the girls lockerroom of the gym across the road
(no upgrade possible but at least get me on a higher floor)
hotel hosted 4 conferences so lobby and bar was full of networking suits
Old May 16, 2018, 5:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Just a shot of right now
turner32 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.