Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
IC The Barclay New York Master Thread

Re-opening confirmed (by the GM) as April 19, 2016 slightly earlier than the May 1 date indicated before.

We'll arrive May 1 so am relieved that the opening is happening and looking forward to the stay experiencing the remodeled place.

Note from Modeator:
Older post prior to renovation and discussion about renovation could be along with even older posts found in the archive thread of this property:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ve-thread.html

Thank you
FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 16, 2016 at 10:01 am
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:53 am

Awesome...looking forward to your thoughts.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:07 pm

It appears that there will be a significant reduction in the number of suites - down to 31. The total number of rooms+suites increases by 18, suggesting that a number of suites are being converted into rooms.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
It appears that there will be a significant reduction in the number of suites - down to 31. The total number of rooms+suites increases by 18, suggesting that a number of suites are being converted into rooms.
Are you sure those aren't just initial early opening numbers? I think I posted a while back in this thread that hotels that undergo significant renovation often re-open the hotel without many of the suites being ready in time.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:08 am

Rewards nights now available at 60k/night!!!! First date available is Apr 19th.

ETA: various rooms available too, all at 60k: 1 king bed executive (300 sf), 1 king bed superior (250 sf) and 1 king bed deluxe (275 sf). Similar for double beds.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the heads up. I got my reward nights booked last year in early July at 50k points when the expected opening was in Feb 2016. I got a Deluxe room back then, so still hoping for a possible upgrade to Executive for a little more room. Let's see.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:44 pm

Have a (paid) stay starting 22nd April. Yes the refurbishment was badly needed (especially some of the bathrooms) but loved the RA Suite upgrade given in the past even on points. Not sure we will see the same generosity from the shiny new Barclay ....
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Troopers
Rewards nights now available at 60k/night!!!! First date available is Apr 19th.

ETA: various rooms available too, all at 60k: 1 king bed executive (300 sf), 1 king bed superior (250 sf) and 1 king bed deluxe (275 sf). Similar for double beds.
It's a shame, but not unexpected, that they've come in at 60K per night.

Would have liked to switch over from IC TS but the 10K premium to rebook isn't worth it.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
So ....

A delixe is smaller than executive but costs more for $. The online descriptions for superior, deluxe and executive are identical except for the square footage number.

This means you either go Exec (for space) or Deluxe on the basis that those rooms should have better amenities to justify the 10% cash difference over Exec / Superior.

I booked an Exec but may change as I realised they may just give me Deluxe anyway as an AMB upgrade, even though I want the extra space!
Old Apr 12, 2016, 4:05 am
Original Poster

When I checked the last time a few weeks ago the ranking looked like this:

1) Superior (250sqf)
2) Deluxe (275sqf)
3) executive (300sqf)

Did I understand correctly that you are saying the latest you observed is that prices for Deluxe are actually higher than Executive? Wasn't like that a few weeks ago as I compared. Will check again, would be an odd one I agree.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by demue
When I checked the last time a few weeks ago the ranking looked like this:

1) Superior (250sqf)
2) Deluxe (275sqf)
3) executive (300sqf)

Did I understand correctly that you are saying the latest you observed is that prices for Deluxe are actually higher than Executive? Wasn't like that a few weeks ago as I compared. Will check again, would be an odd one I agree.
Yes, for the dates I booked yesterday Superior and Exec were the same but Deluxe was higher.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Raffles
Yes, for the dates I booked yesterday Superior and Exec were the same but Deluxe was higher.
Temporary pricing glitch for Exec rooms perhaps, Raffles? For every date combo I've looked at it goes Superior > Deluxe > Premier > Exec > Barclay in ascending price order. Have booked an Exec room for August and will reassess when I've seen some reviews!
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:04 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have splitt the thread as we are getting closer to the re-opening of this hotel in a couple of days.

Older post could be found in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ve-thread.html

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:54 pm

Reopening delayed until May 1st. My reservation for next week has been cancelled. Hotel was good about helping with alternative arrangements but I don't travel to NY that often and am disappointed that I will not be experiencing the new Barclay.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In the elevators at the IC Willard there is a poster with gorgeous photos of the renovated Barclay. And it says Opening April 2016.

I'd say anyone who planned to stay in April dodged the bullet. I doubt too many people would have had a good experience. I'll wait until I hear some good reviews and then I'll wait a few more months. Maybe around Christmas time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.