Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Clawback of IHG Points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Maybe it's common knowledge, but it was a shock to me. I credited a $570 return to my IHG card by mistake. The purchase was originally made on an amex. I had no other card activity for the month, got a credit balance refund from Chase.

Just noticed that there was a points transaction on my ihg statement that said:

VISA SELECT BASE POINTS -570 Points

With all the other programs I have never experienced a point clawback, just that it offsets future purchases.

Surprised they could take points out of the account, I thought once they were deposited it would be out of chase's hands. Could they clawback sign up points in the same manner?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by superdrew
Maybe it's common knowledge, but it was a shock to me. I credited a $570 return to my IHG card by mistake. The purchase was originally made on an amex. I had no other card activity for the month, got a credit balance refund from Chase.

Just noticed that there was a points transaction on my ihg statement that said:

VISA SELECT BASE POINTS -570 Points

With all the other programs I have never experienced a point clawback, just that it offsets future purchases.

Surprised they could take points out of the account, I thought once they were deposited it would be out of chase's hands. Could they clawback sign up points in the same manner?

Whilst IHG can alter your points by subtracting, I am sure others can only credit IHG accounts. Surely the CC company have to ask IHG to debit an account?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:15 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I believe this has been in every credit card agreement I have gotten... they have the right to credit back points you received. I have always seen it balanced each month... usually I have enough new charges to balance out any credits during the billing period. However, I recall two instances... once with Amex and once with Chase, where I had a negative balance at the end of the billing period. In both cases, they took points back from my account.

Seems totally fair to me....
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:32 am

I don't think this is an uncommon practice either. If I make a return, credit cards normally do take the points back if I don't have enough purchases to make up for it.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold

This is the norm. Nothing special about that. If you have a negative balance you will "get" negative points.

Usually the term claw back is reserved to the credit card company taking back bonuses if the requirements of getting them were not met (multiple cards, not open for long enough etc.).

What you describe is just a normal course of business.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
slightly OT:
But does this work for all credit cards - a hotel recently overcharged me but refunded the payment to my Amex on file (I paid with a MasterCard).

In my MR statement it shows that a deduction of MR points cause of the credit. Is this the way it normally works? Hardly fair isn't it?
I can understand a deduction if it was for crediting a recent transaction that was charged to the card - e.g. returns on clothing.
But if there was no prior charge for this transaction why should they deduct my MR?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:34 pm

Chase steals points or miles this way whenever someone adds funds to a card. (I had this happen 8 years ago.)

You may be able to contact AmEx customer service and get the MR points back, lsed, or at least request an explanation.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Because it makes sense. Every transaction carries with it the appropriate MR credit. You had a negative transaction amount therefore you got negative MR amount.

Think about it from the big picture - you did not ask the other credit card to take back the points you got from paying with it. It is a zero sum game, even if it does goes over credit cats. Maybe next time ask them to cut you a check?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Thanks guys.

I will give them a call and see if they will credit it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.