Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward night points increase again?!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:09 am
Suspended

The first time I suggested IHG may go for seasonal redemption rate adjustment Carolyn was saying no they would never do it and my suspicion was not welcomed by other members.

These adjustment may not be seasonal, but it is true that IHG has the reason not to publish the redemption category list so they can make adjustment as they wish.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
And it should also teach you to make one night bookings for each reward night for stays you are unsure about.
A good strategy for any rewards points program actually and I've used for paid stays too at the beginning or end of the travel period if my plans could change
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by chongcao
The first time I suggested IHG may go for seasonal redemption rate adjustment Carolyn was saying no they would never do it and my suspicion was not welcomed by other members.

These adjustment may not be seasonal, but it is true that IHG has the reason not to publish the redemption category list so they can make adjustment as they wish.
PCR can devalue the program at will. Charging 30000 pts everyday for a $132.20 stay at HIX Charlottetown PEI is a typical example (was 10K years ago, then 15K, then 25K ,now 30K for a while). Even though I'm burning up points and leaving the program 2013 its a reminder all things change over time so spend the points as you get them in any program.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by chongcao

As you can book 12 months ahead, it would be difficult to bring in seasonal pricing which involved simply adjusting the headline price of the award!

The new Hilton method is just too complicated, frankly, when you have to look up the season variations chart for each property.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Raffles
As you can book 12 months ahead, it would be difficult to bring in seasonal pricing which involved simply adjusting the headline price of the award!

The new Hilton method is just too complicated, frankly, when you have to look up the season variations chart for each property.
That is true.

My guess is that as the technology progress, hotel groups will be able to use fluctuate redemption rate in future and use the average daily rate as the yardstick to allow redemption rate up and down depending on the live demand. Although there is a long way to go yet but it is certainly doable.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
So the real questions are when are they going to own up to this, or is it just another IT eff up??
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:27 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
And it should also teach you to make one night bookings for each reward night for stays you are unsure about.
Not sure that this is a good idea unless you are prepared to check-out and change hotel rooms each day of your stay. I know a lot of hotels would probably do the right thing but I can think of quite a few that would make you change room just to prove a point.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by Sydfly
Not sure that this is a good idea unless you are prepared to check-out and change hotel rooms each day of your stay. I know a lot of hotels would probably do the right thing but I can think of quite a few that would make you change room just to prove a point.
Why? By their own T&Cs, multiple nights, booked separately are 'one stay' -- perhaps one booked them incrementally because of constantly changing plans? All one needs to is prior to arrival inform hotel that it is all one stay.

That is, assuming of course, that all the rooms booked are the exact same category.

What some hotels do is to insist on changing rooms if e.g. paying for a harbor view room (IC HK) one night, and a regular room booking on points the next.

tb
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sydfly
You dont need to move room in ALL our experiences across ALL programs. You do need to go thru the formality to check out and immediately check back in each day so the account records are correct. Frankly we prefer this way instead of hotel combining all reservations together because very often we booked the nights from 2 different accounts for good reasons and did NOT want the hotel to combine them.

There are also times if you have a lengthy stay of several days, not every day has the desired room type available. Booking them separately often ensure you to have the more desirable type if that is the one available on 1st day not not subsequent days.

Originally Posted by hhoope01
And maybe even do it when you are sure about it (as plans can quickly change sometimes.)
I did this for all stays except when booking multiple days together would give a significant discount such as the Marriott and SPG's 5th night free or HHonor's old VIP / AXON. If there is no incentive, I dont see WHY to book all days together to take away the flexibility of canceling unwanted / unneeded days as plans DO change over time.

One thing I am still not doing very well is not to book very tentative nights when the rates were good - should have done so as each and every time when I did not do that it ended up costing me more pts / money. When you see a good bargain, regardless how tentative your plan is, BOOK THEM on a one day per ressie basis and then finesse them later.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 2, 2013 at 10:30 am
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:18 pm

I have been staying at Marriott lately because with the megabonus I can earn more free nights. than I now can with IHG. IHG lost 130-200 paid nights a year from me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.