Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
FAQs
1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?
2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?
3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?
4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?
5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?
6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?
7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC?

1. What are the current types of free-night certificates (FNC)?

As of April 2023, there are four different active FNC types. Described below in order from newest to oldest (roughly), they will appear in your account under the following headings:
  • Premier Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC, good for a base room up to 40K points, for the personal Premier card. This FNC is described as “flex” because you can redeem for an award in excess of 40K by adding points on top of the FNC (aka "topping up").
    • Note: points used to top up a Flex FNC are not subject to the 10% rebate for Select cardholders.
  • Business Credit Card Annual Flex Night: The anniversary FNC for the IHG Business card. This is identical in all respects to the Premier flex cert.
  • New Cardmember Bonus Free Night: Some recent offers for the personal Premier card have included one or more FNCs in the signup bonus. These FNCs are capped at 40K value; there is no "flex"/"top-up" option.
  • Select Credit Card Anniversary Night: The anniversary FNC for the older Select card, for which Chase stopped accepting applications in 2018. As with the previous category, this FNC type has a hard cap of 40K redemption value.
Depending on how long you have been a Chase IHG cardholder and which cards you've held, your FNC Details page may also display a placeholder section ("0 Anniversary Nights") for two other FNC types that no longer exist:
  • Premier Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to March 24, 2022, the personal Premier card FNC was hard-capped at 40K value. On March 24, all unused FNCs of this type were automatically converted to Premier "flex" FNCs as described above.
  • Credit Card Anniversary Night: Prior to May 1, 2018, anniversary FNCs for the Select card were uncapped--that is, they could be used at any IHG property.

2. Where do I find the FNC(s) in my IHG online account?

After you log into the website, click on the section at the top of the window showing your first name and current point balance. This will take you to the Overview page of the My Account section. Underneath the gray box showing your status level, member number, and points balance you will see a submenu with "Overview" selected. Click on "Rewards Wallet" to go to the page summarizing your FNCs. Click "Details" to see the type(s) of FNC(s) in your account.

You can also go directly to the Details page by logging in and visiting http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en...gmt/freenights (for English-speaking US members).

3. Is a FNC revoked if I cancel my Chase card?

No.

4. If I make a reservation using my FNC and then need to cancel, are there any special procedures? Do I have to call IHG?

You may cancel your reservation online using the same process as for any other reservation. The certificate is normally returned to your account immediately and available for re-use with no wait and no need to call IHG. For unknown reasons, on rare occasions a FNC will not instantly reappear; in such cases, call IHG customer service to have the FNC redeposited manually.

5. Can I use my FNC for a date past the certificate's expiration, provided that I make the reservation prior to that expiration date?

As of January 2019, members are reporting that they are unable to do this.
Formerly, some members reported success in doing this. (See, for example, the discussion at post #516.) Two basic recommendations:
  • It is advisable to obtain advance written confirmation, ideally from the hotel itself, that your certificate will be honored under these circumstances.
    • At least one FTer reports having successfully booked post-expiration stays without confirming with the property in advance; see posts 719 & 723. YMMV.
  • Once the certificate expiration date passes, you will not be able to make any changes to the reservation (occupancy, date, room type, etc).

6. Can I trade/gift my FNC?

No. FNCs are non-transferable.

7. If I have multiple IHG cards (other than the Traveler card), do I get more than one FNC each year?

Yes. The Select card (legacy), the personal Premier card, and the Premier Business card all include an anniversary FNC as a benefit. But note the difference, discussed above, between the Select card FNC--capped at 40K value--and the "flex" FNCs associated with the other cards. The no-fee Traveler card does not provide a FNC benefit.

In previous years, Chase issued the anniversary FNC shortly before the annual fee was billed. More recently, Chase has begun delaying issuance of FNCs until at least 8 weeks after the annual-fee statement date, presumably to prevent accountholders from canceling their cards while keeping the FNC.

Questions related to the extension of the certificate due to the Coronavirus are discussed in its own thread, which is here.

Print Wikipost

Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by IntFF
Last year I got the email on Dec-7. This year no email......
Am I the only one getting an email reminder on a daily basis about it? And my anniversary is in March so I guess I'll have to keep deleting 30+ emails about it until then.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:13 pm

My free night cert is from Oct 2013-Oct 2014. The IHG website says the stay must be booked and the stay must be completed in this timeframe. However, the website allows me to book beyond Oct 2014, so I just booked for a night at IHG Time Square for 12/29. Will this be an issue because IHG clearly states the stay must be completed by 10/14, even though the website lets me book beyond that?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My free night cert is from Oct 2013-Oct 2014. The IHG website says the stay must be booked and the stay must be completed in this timeframe. However, the website allows me to book beyond Oct 2014, so I just booked for a night at IHG Time Square for 12/29. Will this be an issue because IHG clearly states the stay must be completed by 10/14, even though the website lets me book beyond that?
Anybody?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Anybody?
Website only checks the room availability loaded by IHG/Hotel for your searched dates. You are the one who holds the certificate, knows your certs expiry date and t+c's.

It is hardly surprising you can book outside the bounds/dates of your certificate. Similar to eg Ambassador BOGO, you book in advance and if you can not present hotel with a valid voucher at checkin expect to be charged by the hotel for that night.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:58 pm

Has anyone who have a March Anniversary able to book online yet? I called the 800 number from when you had to call, and they said it would be April before I could use it.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

...bump...
Old Mar 14, 2014, 5:27 pm

update: it posted to my account today. Used it for a holiday inn resort.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:55 pm

I'm frustrated. My husband's anniversary date was mid-March, and his email reflected that date. However, in his account, when he clicked on "free night status", it always said that the certificate was good until March 31, 2014. (Many others on this thread have also mentioned it being good until the last day of the anniversary month.) We booked in November for March 28, 2014.

He noticed that his recently issued certificate now lists the mid-March date as the expiration date in 2015, not March 31. When did they change their policy from letting you use it on the last day of your anniversary month? We're worried about using it now, although worst case scenario, they'll probably apply the newer certificate when we stay next week, and we'll only be out one year's Visa annual fee.

I wish now that we'd printed out the "status" page before reserving!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just wondering...

I got a notice by email from Chase today that my IHG VISA will automatically convert to an IHG Mastercard in mid-May.

My question: might this affect the anniversary date for the free night certificate? My current anniversary is in January. Is there any chance this change might cause it to reset to May?

Anyone with any ideas?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Just wondering...

I got a notice by email from Chase today that my IHG VISA will automatically convert to an IHG Mastercard in mid-May.

My question: might this affect the anniversary date for the free night certificate? My current anniversary is in January. Is there any chance this change might cause it to reset to May?

Anyone with any ideas?
Great question. My *guess* is it does not, since it should still follow the annual fee schedule (Chase isn't going to be billing someone an annual fee in March, then again in May...or conversely allowing someone to go say 23 months).

Another related thought I had...let's say you are in your first year, got the bonus, and on the fence whether to at least hold until the anniversary certificate.

If Chase considers this a "new" product, there's a fair chance that conversion would also reset the churn clock back to 0, possibly making it 24 months before you could likely try to get the bonus again.

So, maybe a good idea to cancel before conversion.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Just wondering...

Anyone with any ideas?
I got the same email too and twice at that.

BTW, there is no mention of Free Anniversary nights and Foreign Transaction Fees (No) once it gets converted to MC. Anyone knows if these benefits will be retained under MC Label?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by siliconflyer

BTW, there is no mention of Free Anniversary nights and Foreign Transaction Fees (No) once it gets converted to MC. Anyone knows if these benefits will be retained under MC Label?
My message read: " WHAT'S NOT CHANGING *Your benefits". I think we will have to wait and see what, if anything, changes. I think there will be many cancellations of the card (including mine) if the free anniversary night goes away.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by siliconflyer
Just wondering...

Anyone with any ideas?

FWIW, the application page for the new IHG Rewards MasterCard indicates that an annual free night is a benefit of that card.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Anyone know if the last date on your cert is the date you have to check in or out by ?

For example if my certificate is good through April 30th , is the last day I can check in April 29th (and check out april 30th) or could I check in April 30th and check out on May 1st and be ok ?

I ask cause there's really no way to tell since it lets you book any date even those outside the range the cert is good for.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
I just stumbled upon something interesting. I was viewing my free night certificate reservation, and I selected "Duplicate Reservation". Upon selecting a new date, I was given a drastically reduced rate ($25). Under "View Rates" there was the category "Chase Anniversary Free Night" for the rate of $25, followed by all the usual rates. Note that I was not changing my current reservation, just duplicating the reservation for another night. Has anyone else noticed this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.