Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priorityclub is locking accounts after the QUIZ Game

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Surfer
I'd have to agree it’s an over reaction. Any IT person worth their pay check can profile anomalies so for blanket acct closures that’s a weak argument.
Well, we all know PCR has major IT limitations. We also know that this whole 100 point quiz posting issue was an IT error as well. We also have reason to believe that some users racked up well, well, well in excess of one quiz per country. When someone is afraid that there is a big problem, often the reaction will be to over-reach and turn everything off. The IT department doesn't want to be blamed for costing IHG mega bucks for redemptions from accounts with mega duplicate postings, but they may not be the ones to decide what is tolerable and what is not, so they err on the side of caution. In the big picture, it's probably a mistake to over-reach, but if one is afraid of costing one's employer money and needing to act quickly, then over-reaching may happen.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of those racking up 100s of thousands of points immediately placed redemption orders for gift cards, etc.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by soitgoes
5,000 times!?
Are you serious? Are you real?
Does that mean 500,000 points posted to your account?!?!

It's no wonder IHG took what will probably temporary action on a large number of accounts if there are accounts like that out there!

Actually, for all those who really did just net 1-2K points from this, the existence of mega-offenders is probably actually good news. It makes the accounts with 1-2K look saintly. Clearly those users weren't trying to scam IHG--they stopped.
my estimation of 100K was obvious wrong
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:17 pm

5,000 times!?
Are you serious? Are you real?
Does that mean 500,000 points posted to your account?!?!
Yes, Yes, and Yes, they did. After I completed each survey one time, I completled one of them a second time and realized that it let me. I spent about 2 minutes throwing together a quick script that would submit the form automatically (in a loop), just to see if it worked.

I ran the script and stepped away from the computer to use the restroom. I came back a few short minutes later and stopped the script. I didn't know if it worked or not, but when I logged into my PC account, I had several hundred thousand points that weren't there before.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I realize that this was a big mistake. I'm sure there were others that did the same thing since it was so simple.

That being said, there was no WAY I intended for it to rack up points like that, and no I didn't try to redeem any. Now I just want my 100k points that I started with and will be happy forever.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Sweep is expanding as some untouched prior are blocked now so if you're ok now don't assume you'll be in 5 minutes. Guess the lesson is one account for "safe" promo's + one disposable account for "FT". Seem to recall I posted comments a while ago about IHG tracking FT members via a viral offer....interesting.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess the lesson is one account for "safe" promo's + one disposable account for "FT".
Multiple accounts are clearly not allowed, so I wouldn't advise doing that.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If you went to the trouble to create a script, then you were obviously in it for more than just a few miles. It's wholesale abuse like this that will bring a lot of stuff to the surface, that we FT'ers don't want.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by bitthehandthatfeeds
Yes, Yes, and Yes, they did. After I completed each survey one time, I completled one of them a second time and realized that it let me. I spent about 2 minutes throwing together a quick script that would submit the form automatically (in a loop), just to see if it worked.

I ran the script and stepped away from the computer to use the restroom. I came back a few short minutes later and stopped the script. I didn't know if it worked or not, but when I logged into my PC account, I had several hundred thousand points that weren't there before.

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but I realize that this was a big mistake. I'm sure there were others that did the same thing since it was so simple.

That being said, there was no WAY I intended for it to rack up points like that, and no I didn't try to redeem any. Now I just want my 100k points that I started with and will be happy forever.

Well if thats true...after that disclosure....maybe "you" should work for IHG IT !....or leave town.

Explains a lot about IHG's version of a 911 style panic shutdown reaction as it was a massive security breach from multiple channels ie Attack.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well if thats true...after that disclosure....maybe "you" should work for IHG IT !....or leave town.
Explains a lot about IHG's version of a 911 style panic shutdown reaction as it was a massive security breach from multiple channels ie Attack.
And this is just the one person who posted on here admitting it. There could have been many people (some doing this on multiple accounts). And there could have been those who let their script run for a longer time. It could have even corrupted their database.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:35 pm

Well if thats true...after that disclosure....maybe "you" should work for IHG IT .
Funny that you mentioned it. After seeing how poorly promos post, stays go missing, etc, I actually looked at their job listings. They didn't have anything though. I'd love to help them clean up their IT mess.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
This is precisely why a lot of sites now require you to enter the wierd looking letters in a box in order to confirm that you are a human and not a program. Look for this coming soon to PC.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:36 pm

Multiple accounts are clearly not allowed, so I wouldn't advise doing that.
It was a joke...and plays back to "gamble with only what you can afford to lose"
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:42 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If you went to the trouble to create a script, then you were obviously in it for more than just a few miles.
His defense reminds me of: "I didn't know the gun was loaded, and I'll never never do it again".
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by pmaddock
So is it time to try to do some sort of pre-emptive 'mea-culpa' to PC and try to get them to pull the points before the account gets hit?

I had thought I was safe until I saw this post. I admit I was bad with this one too but I stayed my hand at 700 points. Something in my head clicked and thought it was taking things too far. Up until this post I was thinking I spared myself but now I'm not sure.

Overall I grant that at pragmatic level PC should probably let this go with some sort of warning and probably take the quiz points back but technically they really could just kill the account outright. (Although I must admit I would rebel and cancel all my upcoming bookings.)
Well I spoke too soon - my account appears to have been locked out now. If anyone is counting on a 1K threshold you may be mistaken.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Account Frozen - Existing Revenue Bokings?

Will erxisting revenue bokings still be valid? Or will they have been canceled?

Thanks,
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: Some
It appears anyone who never did any 100pt surveys doesn't have any problems. So IHG IT can at least distinguish at that level which means they can also filter 1000 vs 100K so maybe in their stupidity of leaving the gate open they are on a witch hunt to deflect blame back on "untargeted" players.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.