Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: IHG
Thumbs down Birmingham City Centre

Thanks for the information about the refurbishment.

I stayed there earlier in the year.

When I woke up I thought I was in 1975. Everything was old, stained and dusty.

The air conditioning unit (by the window) was bigger than my wifes car.

There is however something positive to report....

... as I was there for three days I had time to grow some cress in the mould by the toilet. This was very welcome with my late night sandwich.

I now stay at the Crowne Plaza NEC when travelling to Birmingham. Pleasant staff, spotless rooms and very quiet.

Happy travelling.
Midnight
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by midnight
When I woke up I thought I was in 1975.

Exactly! I still think of the place as the Holiday Inn it was before they changed the colour scheme. I can think of no reason for staying there as there's usually a reasonable alternative - any alternative - nearby.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:36 am

It was my 4x starter.

I had Tuesday night in the HIE and then 2 nights at the CP. Convenient for the ICC where I was conferencing.

I'd have done it the other way round except that I like to soak in a bath with a book. That's my only problem with HIEs.

ps I had an exceptionally good meal in a newish Chinese restaurant called Shanghaiye on Holloway Head near the Mailbox.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MarkTL
Hi

Unless an upgrade is a cert at the CP I would stay at the HIE. They are about 500 yards apart and the HIE has always served me well in the past.

Ta

M
I would second this, the CP is very poor. The regular HI in Brum isn't too bad either, but rooms are hardly much bigger than the HIE.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 4:15 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
I've stayed at the CP over the last 8 yrs or so. They don't appear to have done any work on the rooms at all over that time. So now they are pretty old and naff. Generally the hotel has gone downhill; the last straw being when they closed the pool!! Having said that the rooms I've had were always clean and I've seen worse hotels to spend 1 night in.

I prefer the HIX over the CP now. The HIX bar is better than most HIXs but of course there is no restaurant if you want/need that.

Surprised to hear the CP is being refurbed... It looked about ready to be levelled and the whole area redeveloped last time I was there!
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:15 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Thanks god I searched here for Birmingham! I was just about to make a one-night booking in the city and was about to choose the CP as expecting it to be the default best option!
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I stayed at the HIE 10 days ago. Totally harmless and inoffensive - I've put a review on tripadvisor under the RJB handle. Totally fine for a 1-nighter, although if you've got other travel plans in hand remember that 'Faster Free Nights' is currently running with Hyatt.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 5:42 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Raffles
I stayed at the HIE 10 days ago. Totally harmless and inoffensive - I've put a review on tripadvisor under the RJB handle. Totally fine for a 1-nighter, although if you've got other travel plans in hand remember that 'Faster Free Nights' is currently running with Hyatt.
Ta! ^

I'd totally forgotten there was a Hyatt in Birmingham too!
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
uh-oh...

I have a 2-night reward stay booked here for April. Has anyone had any recent experiences to share? Has the refurbishment mentioned above made an impact?

I snapped it up because of the Crowne Plaza brand and because there was a 2-Queen suite available at the 25k rate. Should I reconsider?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 4:18 pm

Cant tell you about the refurbishment but this hotel is frequently on the BOGOF scheme using the link below, I would check it now and the few days before check in- sometimes as low as £25 a nite, better than 50000 points spent?

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/...r1-_-exclusive

dan
Old Feb 16, 2008, 6:14 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by drdanielmacdonald
Cant tell you about the refurbishment but this hotel is frequently on the BOGOF scheme using the link below, I would check it now and the few days before check in- sometimes as low as £25 a nite, better than 50000 points spent?

dan
Stayed there last week and will probably be there again this coming week. The refurb is very much ongoing and the outside of the property is like a building site. The interior however seems not to be suffering at all other than it really looks like it needs a refurb. Time alone will tell.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The Hyatt is an excellent property. The best business class hotel I have stayed at in the UK outside London, although anyone who knows UK hotels knows that I damn with faint praise! You might want to try that instead.

If you do want to stay ICHG, the Holiday Inn Express is fine as I mentioned above. Perhaps 2 years old max. There is also a decent CP at the NEC / Airport. If the refurb is not done I'd avoid the town centre one.

The Malmaison is also very close and worth a look - a classy independent chain.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:14 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Tesco Club Points, Avios
Originally Posted by unclepants
I have a 2-night reward stay booked here for April. Has anyone had any recent experiences to share? Has the refurbishment mentioned above made an impact?

I snapped it up because of the Crowne Plaza brand and because there was a 2-Queen suite available at the 25k rate. Should I reconsider?
was there two weeks ago - my room was very tired looking, heater made a lot of noise during the night. check-in excellent, 3/4 lifts out of order - boarded up. food in restaurant good. tv remote had no batteries in it. car park felt unsafe and rough. would not have wanted to stay there more than one night. did not try breakfast - good location next to shops and restaurants
Old Feb 17, 2008, 11:43 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Raffles
The Hyatt is an excellent property. The best business class hotel I have stayed at in the UK outside London, although anyone who knows UK hotels knows that I damn with faint praise! You might want to try that instead.

If you do want to stay ICHG, the Holiday Inn Express is fine as I mentioned above. Perhaps 2 years old max. There is also a decent CP at the NEC / Airport. If the refurb is not done I'd avoid the town centre one.

The Malmaison is also very close and worth a look - a classy independent chain.
Can I also recommend the Malmaison and its upper market sister the Hotel Du Vin. Both are excellent and get my money when they have sensible rates available.

CP does have a good position and is handy for Broad Street (main restaurants and bar area)

Mark
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by drdanielmacdonald

dan
Thanks, Dan. This is a great idea. As it turns out, there's no availability at any of the central IC properties anymore for our dates. However, I should probably look at that link for the London leg of our stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.