Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation policy change AFTER booking a no-penalty reservation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2008, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Location: Orlando, FL, USA. Starwood Copper; PCLUB Pyrite; HHonors Tin; Skymiles Nobody
Cancellation policy change AFTER booking a no-penalty reservation

Greetings Fellow FTers! Has anyone run into a situation where you have booked a hotel room way in advance that allows cancellation without penalty only to have the hotel switch the policy to a fee for cancellation? Currently, the reservation cancellation policy is as follows:

"Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on X X, 2009, or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation."

I read it as as long as it is cancelled by 6pm on the date listed on the res I don't get charged, but I would get charged if I cancel after 6pm on the date listed OR don't bother to show up.

Can they change this to "cancellation results in a penalty of the first night" without telling me (if I just happened to see it updated on the res when looking it up online)? Curious if anyone ran into this and the outcome.

Thank you!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:42 pm
uk1
Suspended

Obviously not. What did the hotel say when you queried it?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:48 am

Of course not. What does the confirmation email say? The conditions at the time of you reservation and the confirmation count. Just keep the original confirmation.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It does appear ICH has reworded the cancellation policy but it means pretty much the same as previously which has always been "if you no show after 6p the day of arrival (or at some properties 1 or 2 days prior)" you will be billed for the first night. That's been the general practice of the industry on all flexible rate bookings. I don't see what your concern is? In any case, the key is to always print out a copy of your original booking confirmation and those are the terms and conditions you will be bound by.

A few weeks ago I got stuck a PHL when US cancelled my flight to Louisville. This was about 8p and I called the HI that I'd booked in that city, explained what's happened, and they cancelled my booking without the penalty. If you're fair with most properties they will be fair with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.