Search

Seattle, LAX or SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2008, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG, BA
Seattle, LAX or SFO

So I've got a decision to make...

I'll be near Vegas in a month, and my flight in from LHR takes me to LAX.

Wanting to stay at a nice hotel for 4 days before I go to Vegas, where do I go.

I've chosen either IC LA, new IC SFO or CP Seattle.

Which one do I choose?????
I'm just interested in having 4 days of doing nothing, maybe some shopping, plenty to eat and drink and maybe sunning myself a little bit.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
My personal choice would be SFO. I travel a lot to all 3 and for shopping, eating and drinking in the sun you can't go past SFO. I haven't stayed at the IC SFO though.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles and more, Sofitel Privelege, Priority Club Platinum Amb
A similar 'city' question between SFO and LAX in the Sunday Times today, The reply was to recommend SanFran as a generally more interesting city, although not sure about the hotals - suggest you check TripAdvisor for the lowdown on these.

Let us know which you go for!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by United_Flyer3
So I've got a decision to make...

I'll be near Vegas in a month, and my flight in from LHR takes me to LAX.

Wanting to stay at a nice hotel for 4 days before I go to Vegas, where do I go.

I've chosen either IC LA, new IC SFO or CP Seattle.

Which one do I choose?????
I'm just interested in having 4 days of doing nothing, maybe some shopping, plenty to eat and drink and maybe sunning myself a little bit.
Sunning yourself where? Are you going to rent a car in L A?

If you want to do all this in SoCal without a car, you want a hotel in Santa Monica (or one of the other beach communities), such as Holiday Inn Santa Monica Beach At The Pier. (I know nothing about it other than that it's a great location for everything you mentioned.)

The IC seems on a map (for those not familiar with SoCal) to be not so far from the beach, but it's in the middle of an office park, about a mile from the closest Santa Monica Big Blue Bus stop. The restaurant choices are mainly the food court within the shpping mall! It's quite a long walk to the Big Blue Bus (to get to Santa Monica Beach), or Westwood, or Beverfly Hills (the nearest two main shopping districts, restaurant places) in the other direction. (You can get the L A bus from there to the beach but they're not as frequent and not as nice.) All that's close is a very ordinary shopping mall, and you want to spend all your time in such a confined place?

(Of course, if you are getting a car, I take back all that. With a car, the IC is suddenly quite centrally located.)

OTOH, I presume the IC San Francisco is much better located to leisure activities (especially if you don't want to get a car).
Old Jul 27, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
A couple of recent threads about the CP Seattle (one of which I admittedly started) are here and here. It's a nice property but had serious elevator problems when I was there about a month ago. I liked the food prepared by the restaurant staff but I suggest going somewhere else for drinks. If you're not renting a car it's a better deal as parking is $30/day plus tip for the valet. We've had great weather up here recently though, and the CP does have some wonderful views.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
SF is probably the best city for what you want.
Obviously for sunshine, you're best off in LA and worst off in Seattle. But SF you can get to beaches even in town (Ocean beach where the Cliff House is the best, but others include China Beach, Lands End beach, Baker Beach and East Beach in the Presidio); more serious beaches if you head south to Santa Cruz, etc.
From the IC San Francisco you have more things to do within walking disctance than you would in either of the other two locations. Plus add in BART and ICSF would be my clear winner. Remember you also have the IC Mark Hopkins option; many threads will compare these two; the Mark is stingier on upgrades but it has historic character and a prime location atop Nob Hill.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 7:59 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Unless you like sitting in endless traffic to get everywhere in LA, go to SF. We have great public transit and a beautiful city.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by keihin_242
A couple of recent threads about the CP Seattle (one of which I admittedly started) are here and here. It's a nice property but had serious elevator problems .
I have stayed at CP Seattle 2 days ago, and the elevator issues are still there.

I liked this hotel: very well located (only a few meters from the very nice public library designed by Rem Koolhaas, close to the great SAM Museum, and Barneys and Nordstrom department stores)

I was upgraed - on points - to a very nice club room on the 33rd floor, with a splendid view and club access (free continental breakfast, evening hors d oeuvre and softdrinks)

The service is pretty good (except perhaps the concierge who prefers speaking with the - young - bell boys than making some reservations for customers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.