Search

Holiday Inn SYDNEY AIRPORT (SYD) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2008, 5:03 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Holiday Inn SYDNEY AIRPORT (SYD) Master Thread

How do they treat Platinums?
Is it highly satisfactory for a layover?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:44 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
You usually get downgraded to a single bed room and if staying for multiple nights your room will be relet to someone else while your belongings are still in the room, gone from being average to woeful in the past few months. Try HI Potts Point are very good with their treatment of platinum guests.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Agree with the gist of markis10 comment on HI Sydney Airport that it isn't too great at the moment. For a change, the week after next I'm going to stay at CP Coogee Beach (around 15 minutes away) the night prior to a flight.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I stayed about six months ago and it was decent enough even if a bit worn, upgraded to one of the executive rooms anyway (not a huge difference I think, just with a few extra amenities thrown in and room on the top floor). Sounds like its gone downhill since then.

That being said, the time saved over heading to the airport from the city centre in Sydney is minimal (10-15 minutes maybe), so I'd recommend heading into the city instead unless it's a late night arrival/early morning departure and you're just looking for a bed for the night.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 4:18 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
I've stayed at HI Sydney Airport many times and always received a Platinum upgrade without asking. Even got upgraded once when redeeming points for the stay.

I've had a problem a couple of times there in getting points credited to my account but that appears to have been a PC issue rather than the property.

I've had more problems staying at HI Potts Point than I've had at the HI Sydney Airport. I've gone off that property big time. On one occasion paid for a superior room there and got a real crappy basic room. Took one look and told reception just what I thought.

Last edited by davidrnz; Mar 29, 2008 at 7:31 pm Reason: fix a typo
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't used HI at the airport recently but when I was using it , it was a perfectly ok hotel

I would not recommend Potts Point, I have found that to be a poor hotel; if not wanting to stay at the airport itself, I would suggest the Crowne Plaza at Darling Harbour; I find that to be a nice hotel and they do treat platinum members well; suite upgrade and a bottle of wine is not uncommon

Dave
Old Mar 29, 2008, 6:04 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have stayed here just twice. I only used it as it is so convienient for getting to the airport. I agree the hotel is looking a bit tired and need a refurb. However I was always treated well and was even given a 5pm checkout at no extra charge. If you are used to 4 star or above then I would give it a miss.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Sydney Airport overnight between an inbound DJ late-night arrival from CNS and a next-afternoon departure on UA to SFO. Can I take the train from the domestic terminal at SYD to the hotel? If so, where is the nearest stop and how close is it to the hotel? If not, how much can I expect to pay for a taxi from the domestic terminal? What about on the return, the next day from the hotel to the international terminal?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Sydney Airport overnight between an inbound DJ late-night arrival from CNS and a next-afternoon departure on UA to SFO. Can I take the train from the domestic terminal at SYD to the hotel? If so, where is the nearest stop and how close is it to the hotel? If not, how much can I expect to pay for a taxi from the domestic terminal? What about on the return, the next day from the hotel to the international terminal?
The Holiday Inn Sydney Airport runs a shuttle bus every 30-45 minutes (depending on the time of day) that picks up and drops off at both Domestic and International terminals. When I stayed previously it was free from the airport to the hotel and $5 from the hotel to the airport.

You can take a train to Mascot station, which is close to the Holiday Inn, but it will cost you $14 which is without a doubt a rip-off for a one stop trip! A taxi ride even with all the flagfall and airport fees will be less than that (and any of the taxis should get to go back to the front of the queue because it's a short trip, so there shouldn't be too much grumbling from them - not that it'll stop them! ).
Old Nov 4, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
I stayed there o/n on a reward night in early Oct. If you email the hotel they'll send you a pdf with the shuttle times and locations for the different terminals. I came in the evening and had *just* missed the shuttle so had a rather lengthy wait. I would just grab a cab next time had I known that. As already mentioned they only charged the $5 for the hotel-airport ride (placed on my bill at checkout).

As a PC Plat they upgraded my freebie room to their Exec level before my arrival. The room was perfectly comfortable though not very large but it had a 32" flat panel LCD TV near the foot of the bed. I got an unexpectedly great night's sleep. The room looked contemporary so must have been redone in the not distant past. I think there was a free breakfast in there too but I was leaving too early to catch it.

It's nice and close to the airport so you can get there quickly in the morning.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 4:10 pm

My post on my current stay at this hotel - note the new shuttle information (effectively a $12/person/stay extra cost to add to your room charge)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11414207-post1142.html
Old May 9, 2009, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
3544quebec, thanks for the update; hard to believe this hotel wants $24 for 2 people to get to SYD! For what's not much more than a 5-10min walk.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by BiziBB
3544quebec, thanks for the update; hard to believe this hotel wants $24 for 2 people to get to SYD! For what's not much more than a 5-10min walk.

That is $24 for 2 people to get to and from SYD. Its $6 per person each way -still exhorbitant especially from the domestic terminal to HI
Old May 14, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Originally Posted by BiziBB
The HI SYD is currently a PB hotel and for 5k PC I couldn't pass it up! (I was planning on staying at the Sheraton on the Park but that would have cost me 10k SPG). I had booked this hotel for its proximity to the airport as we come in from CNS in the afternoon and then have a 10 a.m. flight out of SYD the next morning. Since there are 5 of us it would cost $60 for the shuttle r/t, I guess it is much more cost efficient to take a cab to/from the airport? How much should a cab cost?

Thanks,

Onedog
Old May 14, 2009, 2:45 pm

From to/from the domestic terminal it should cost no more than $10 each way per taxi, to/from international under $15 even with the Macquarie Airports typical fee gouging taxi-levy of a couple of bucks for trips starting at the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.