Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by demue
As a Diamond, definitely Conrad for less money. I like the IC and stay there a lot, but only on corp rates in the 3+k THB range.
And no matter how hard I search I cannot find rates any less than double that range. It's corp rate or bust here. The IC is not worth ~6,000 THB per night.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
And no matter how hard I search I cannot find rates any less than double that range. It's corp rate or bust here. The IC is not worth ~6,000 THB per night.
The upper tier Bangkok hotels are definitely competing for the same business travellers as my company rate is quite similar with large discounts of fixed rates as against 15% off, at IC, CONRAD, JW MARRIOTT in range 3500-3800++ although both Hilton's are not competitng on corp rates

I have to agree though, that stays other than on corp rate in Bangkok at these. cheaper 5*'s just don't make financial sense when you see rates of eg HI SILOM with rates 25-33% of the IC, whose HI rooms are so much better than European HIs
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Modo
Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I have moved the last 2 days to the Conrad. It was more than 50% cheaper. I'll review the cert night days next week. The Cert expires in February and I also need a distinct IHG stay outside Greater China before the end of December for 26,800 points. (I have achieved the 3 distinct stays but they now insist it is also in 3 distinct countries!!! Irritatingly my 2016 challenge includes the same wording, this time for 4 distinct stays with no mention of that requiring 4 distinct countries))
For that amount of points and to meet your accelerate promotion target one can certainly squeeze in a one night stay at the IC though depending on your target a cheaper Indigo night right next to Conrad on Wireless Rd may do the same trick.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Thanks Demue

Looked at that option Demue. But other than the HI Silom on one night, and the HIX's the IHG prices in BKK over my stay period are well out of kilter with Hilton and Starwood. The Indigo is nearly the price of The IC.

I'm now being offered an involuntarily downgraded room - but the price being offered is just the standard inflated rate of 8700 Thb ++. for that room.

This hotel is irritating me before I have even stepped through the door.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Okay, getting trickier then. I have stayed at the HIX near National Stadium (next to BTS) and it is perfectly fine for a quick one night stay. If you stay at Conrad in between you could actually just store your luggage at Conrad, sleep one night at HIX and come back to Conrad the next morning. Maybe you can negotiate early check in with the Conrad. They are quite flexible when you are Diamond and not super fully booked.

I also stayed at the HI on Soi 23 and got a nice upgrade to a big suite (huge bathroom for a HI, walk in closet area, living room, separate bedroom) as a Platinum for my 7hrs at the property . The Doubletree and Hilton are two / three blocks further down, but even on corporate rates were around 3K THB for DT and 3.5K THB for Hilton. I prefer the Hilton in that case, but the Conrad is still better.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:14 pm

Thanks again demue

We decided to stick with the two IC nights on Amb Cert. The last night we moved to The Conrad on a rate of 3920 Bht. As a Diamond I'm presuming I will get lounge.

Given flight options we decided to take a very late flight on the third night and forego one night.

I await with interest to see how The IC deals with the room downgrade at check in.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:21 pm

Reporting back after stay

Originally Posted by Modo
We decided to stick with the two IC nights on Amb Cert. The last night we moved to The Conrad on a rate of 3920 Bht. As a Diamond I'm presuming I will get lounge.

Given flight options we decided to take a very late flight on the third night and forego one night.

I await with interest to see how The IC deals with the room downgrade at check in.
Thanks again for all the expert advice and opinions. All very accurate.

Despite the correspondence insisting we needed to be downgraded on arrival we were allocated the Corner Suite. Not a word of explanation or apology.

The Club Lounge is indeed very pleasant with high ceilings and great views. The food is pretty hit and miss. Too much fried food in the hot offering. But great selection of Middle Eastern dips and spreads. The Orange Juice laid out looked and tasted like something I last experienced East of the Iron Curtain in the 1980's. The breakfast menu offered freshly squeezed so we ordered, and got the real thing. Having learnt our lesson we ordered from the menu the next morning and they delivered two glasses of The Tartrazine!!

A few minutes after check in I remembered they hadn't offered a choice of newspaper. I requested The Financial Times. 5 minutes later I was told it wasn't on their list and could be supplied for 200 Bah. Very generous when it could be bought for 140/150 outside!

On check out new arrivals were arguing over their rate which was 30% lower than mine - as predicted by others. Another guest was being upsold a suite for 1700. The Club Lounge reception team were consistently unimpressive and the the manager seemed to spook around in the shadows.

So as expected, OK but ridiculously over priced. Won't stay again.

We moved to The Conrad. It was good value. Staff very efficient but a bit cool. The lounge was packed as warned in the thread about the hotel. Lounge has low ceilings and pretty standard building window arrangements which makes it a bit claustrophobic. Lounge food was distinctly better than The IC. Location is not great other than for airport return access.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:04 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Nice review. I had to look up Tartrazine. Have a new word in my vocabulary.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 12:57 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Nice review. I had to look up Tartrazine. Have a new word in my vocabulary.
Probably giving away my age by using "Tartrazine" LOL.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:23 pm

Just checked in this morning:
+full bf is listed as benefit for Club guests permanently
+free in room bf if departin early (not sure if it is new but can't remember that one)

-cocktail happy hour cut down effective 4th January ( now 17:30-19:30)
- free minibar snacks for RA not listed after test phase
-despite notice about early arrival room wasn't ready
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:44 am

Is it normal for a Plat (non Spire non Ambassador) to be upgraded to a Club level room when booking standard deluxe room?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Valim
Just checked in this morning:
+full bf is listed as benefit for Club guests permanently
+free in room bf if departin early (not sure if it is new but can't remember that one)

-cocktail happy hour cut down effective 4th January ( now 17:30-19:30)
- free minibar snacks for RA not listed after test phase
-despite notice about early arrival room wasn't ready

That all tends to reinforce my suspicion that the property owner is gouging before real competition in the form of the Four Seasons and Park Hyatt arrives.

Reviews as of January 7 2016 on TA make amusing reading. You have a couple of reviews complaining about children and noise in the club lounge. Then you have somebody complaining that having booked ......7 rooms for his family the swimming pool area was too small. I was there simultaneously - it was noisy - but I'm more tolerant of kids than badly managed expensive hotels.

But then they all still gave it a 4 or 5!!!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Is it normal for a Plat (non Spire non Ambassador) to be upgraded to a Club level room when booking standard deluxe room?
Even Ambassadors have to buy an upsell for lounge access

As a platinum/spire , (non-Ambassador) you are not due room upgrade at an IC branded hotel, which includes here
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:42 am

I should've known that. I was excited that my deluxe room got upgraded to "Executive" thinking that was a club level, while it's actually same room type with free wifi and laundry.

Originally Posted by scubaccr

As a platinum/spire , (non-Ambassador) you are not due room upgrade at an IC branded hotel, which includes here
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:55 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by scubaccr

Can Platinum Ambassadors upgrade to club level using IHG points on either paid or award stays?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.