Wiki Posts
Search

Tonight I earn PC Plat...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2007, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS
Tonight I earn PC Plat...

...How will this affect my life? I expect a fireworks show from the hotel and an upgrade to the presidential suite...

But seriously, besides the extra points, how tangible are the other Platinum benefits? How do the upgrades work, are they freely given or do I have to request them? How helpful is the Plat. line?

Anything else I should know?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:05 am

Programs: *wood Plat, PC Plat RA, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
I am afraid that only you can feel that should be the extra points. In some hotel, they will offer you a suite, but most, they only give you a higher floor, told you, you have been upgraded.......
Old Dec 16, 2007, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congrats on making Plat!^

To be honest I don't think I have stayed at a single non-IC Priority Club property in the US since getting Plat (that's where I use my Hilton status), but I have stayed at many outside the US, and with only one exception have always received either an upgrade to a club room, a suite, or both. So I have a pretty favorable impression. Usually I wait until they mention what kind of room I will get, and if they don't I ask about an upgrade.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by Rebmig
...How will this affect my life? I expect a fireworks show from the hotel and an upgrade to the presidential suite...

But seriously, besides the extra points, how tangible are the other Platinum benefits? How do the upgrades work, are they freely given or do I have to request them? How helpful is the Plat. line?

Anything else I should know?
Hi
Well congrats on the Plat. Some folk will tell you it means nothing but a lot of the time you will get something for it. The extra points is not bad if your spending a good bit of time in hotels.

regards
Old Dec 16, 2007, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS
Thanks Lucky.

I suppose the biggest problem here is going to be that I tend to stay in Holiday Inn Expresses because when I travel for work its usually to small towns in North and South Carolina. I will be staying at a real HI tonight, but at this point I'm only Gold so I expect nothing.

Will the benefits be more pronounced at a higher end property? Crowne Plazas come to mind...?
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Generally speaking, yes. Keep in mind a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties don't really have much they can upgrade you to, so there's not a whole lot they can do in terms of upgraded accomodations. In general the better properties will be able to treat you better because they actually have suites and club lounges they can upgrade Plats to. Of course it comes down to the policies of the specific properties, but I'm sure for the most part if you're nice at check-in and ask nicely you should have pretty good success.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:38 am

Programs: ICHG Platinum RoyalAmb, HiltonHonors Gold, AClub Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Spg Plat
Well with Platinum I got very nice superior and executive rooms in several places...so it's not so bad
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Compared to top tier benefits at other chains PC PLT is laughable at best but it is the easiest to get. You only need five or so stays if you play the promotions right.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by holtju2
Compared to top tier benefits at other chains PC PLT is laughable at best but it is the easiest to get. You only need five or so stays if you play the promotions right.
Holtju2

Will you stop be so full of doom and gloom. Not everyone has the choice of how much they can spend on hotels or where they can stay. The PC programme is the best for me personally as they have hotels in EVERY location that I have to work in, other hotel brands dont have such a variety.

You would think you dont like the PC the way you go on about things but I know that deep down you just love them........
Old Dec 16, 2007, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well said, Radioman!^ Considering how simple it is to earn PC Plat, I think the bennies are great!
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Generally speaking, yes. Keep in mind a lot of Holiday Inn Express properties don't really have much they can upgrade you to, so there's not a whole lot they can do in terms of upgraded accomodations.
That does always slay me at the HIE's since who doesn't like an upgrade?! But I did just stay 1 night in Algonquin, IL for the 5K points break. I wasn't sure where I was going to stay, but heading that direction. I swung in the door and asked "Do you upgrade Plats on rewards night?". I got the best reply ever - "Yes, We *Have* to, its our policy."

Got a nice jacuzzi room for the night. No complaints there. Whether Plat gets your something or not, Radioman is right - different stories all over this board. My biggest lesson/advice? Just never forgot to ask...
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by bonoman
My biggest lesson/advice? Just never forgot to ask...

Ah but remember to do it in a very very very nice way..........
Old Dec 16, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Radioman
Ah but remember to do it in a very very very nice way..........
An important footnote indeed! ^ Every now and then, I even add a smile.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Rebmig
Thanks Lucky.

I suppose the biggest problem here is going to be that I tend to stay in Holiday Inn Expresses because when I travel for work its usually to small towns in North and South Carolina. I will be staying at a real HI tonight, but at this point I'm only Gold so I expect nothing.

Will the benefits be more pronounced at a higher end property? Crowne Plazas come to mind...?
Congratulation becoming a Platinum!
1. I didn't find a big difference (in service, upgrade) for Gold or Platinum.
2. It depends a lot on the specific hotel regarding service, upgrade etc.
3. It's true, HI Express has not much to upgrade. However, I have had good experiences with HIX .. especially in Europe.
4. I was at Crowne Plaza in Santiago ... got a nice room at the executive floor with free breakfast.
In Asheville, where you work, I arrived at 1:00PM. The Muppet on the reception didn't look even up and said "come back at 3:00PM!" Came back at 3:00PM and a friendly receptionist wanted to give me a nice(r) room .... I guess, they don't have any of those .. but the hotel is OK.
Old Dec 16, 2007, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Radioman
Will you stop be so full of doom and gloom. Not everyone has the choice of how much they can spend on hotels or where they can stay. The PC programme is the best for me personally as they have hotels in EVERY location that I have to work in, other hotel brands dont have such a variety.

You would think you dont like the PC the way you go on about things but I know that deep down you just love them........
It is true that I don't have commitment to any of the hotel chains with whom I have decided to sleep with. I rather play their programs to my advantage.

But if we have a realistic view of the quality and the consistency of the properties and the elite benefits the PC is at the bottom. On the promotional side it is at the top, however, along with the Hyatt.

I have listed on the "Where have you stayed" thread the IHG properties where I have been this year. As anyone can see it is heavy on the IC's. I do like how most the IC's treats RA's. I don't like, however, how most of the HI's, HIX's, and CP's treat PC Platinum members.

Quite honestly I don't like limited service hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.