Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Medellin Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by Quizarate
I'll be staying there from 3/5-3/10. One question. Should I bring cash with me and exchange it or find an ATM or something.

Also, I was thinking renting a car and driving from Medellin to Bogota. Good idea or no?

Thanks.
There are ATM's everywhere, including on the ground level of the IC (it didn't work for me, but its there).

Car rentals seem expensive, 1 day will cost about same as flight.
Don't buy internal flights here in USA, they are half the price if purchased in Colombia (with cash...USA cards will cause the price to go back up).
Old Apr 8, 2010, 5:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

What upgrade can a Royal Ambassador expect? Do they give access to the lounge for free? Is breakfast in the lounge or in the restaurant?

I confess I'm still confused as to whether to chose the IC, HIX, or 4 Points Sheraton. There are a lot of negative reports here about the hotel, and the lone Royal Ambassador experience in that lengthy thread was decidedly negative. That person did not get lounge access. Any thoughts as to which of the 3 properties would be best?

Re buying flights within Colombia, are they cheaper than on the Avianca website when marked as buying within Colombia? That in and of itself brings the price down dramatically.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm
Old Apr 10, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: IC.Spire Amb. Turkish Elite
I was upgraded to a club floor suite....old stained carpets, small tired bathroom and no club access. This is probably the only IC with condoms in the minibar area (did not touch them)...not sure if free with the drinks.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
This IC is great until you actually go upstairs into the rooms. Hello, 1994!

The staff was very friendly and helpful, the lobby and bar has a good vibe and atmosphere, the grounds are pretty, there's a very nice pool with plenty of lounge chairs, and the spa/gym is above average.

The rooms, though...like stepping into a time machine. The bathroom seems relatively remodeled, but very small. The rooms were unquestionably early-mid 90s, including the 16"? old school tv. The whole room just seemed tired and worn.

The wi-fi is throughout the building now, with a perfectly adequate speed even non the 5th floor. Good enough for video skype calls, so good enough for most uses I'd imagine.

I'm at the Holiday Inn Express 5 minutes down the road tonight. While it doesn't have the ammenities, the furnishings and feel are decidedly more modern and fresh.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Any update on this hotel? Was thinking of booking it with points (PB) for a weekend stay in July. Do they honor RA benefits on award stays?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:04 pm

I really enjoyed the outdoor restaurant by the pool, especially their baby beef.

The front desk added a VAT to my bill that my understanding had been if you are not a Colombian citizen and made the reservation outside of the country you do not pay. I asked about it and they removed it immediately. I had the same thing happen at the Four Points by Sheraton Medellin only they told me I had to sign a contract stating I wasn't Colombian at check-in to avoid paying (even though they took my non-Colombian passport at check-in to make a photocopy).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:19 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
So some PLat received fruit plates, I am Plat and I did not receive a fruit plate.

The hotel is fine, if u think that this hotel is dated try visiting some spg in Italy BO, Florence, Rome... its like the 1980s all over again and the prices are a lot higher...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 4:21 pm

Just checked in to the hotel on a PB stay. Got a upgrade to a apartment king suite. The room is huge with a new flat screen tv and a nice bathroom but carpets are stained. They should just ditch the carpets and go with wood flooring, Then the room would look nicer. I got all RA benefits including the free mini bar which is well stocked. Also got club access. The free internet I think is fast enough, Def faster than the ua lax lounge.
Restaurant by the pool is tasty and the whole pool area and common area is very nice. Overall so far it's a nice property and well worth the PB rate.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: SQ
Location?

I'm tempted to go to the hotel as I have to be in Bogota next week, but don't exactly know what I'd do there. Does the hotel have a location that is suitable for exploring the city?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
I'm tempted to go to the hotel as I have to be in Bogota next week, but don't exactly know what I'd do there. Does the hotel have a location that is suitable for exploring the city?
Walking not really as it's on the hill but cabs are very cheap here. Its a few USD and 10min into the city.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Here right now.. Rooms are being renovated, and fairly decent with wood floors.. So no stains.. The place is nothing remarkable.. Breakfast in the lounge was empty and sparse.. Had to order Eggs from downstairs, and they might as well offer in the restaurant.. Drinks stop at 8pm.. So gonna check it out, as I racked up quite the bill at the bar last night... Medellin is a great city! I must say I prefer the Holiday Inn Express to this IC. Rooms are suites, breakfast fairly better, and great location in Poblado.. Lounge in evening is a bit of a joke. Some booze, a bucket of ice, fruits and a cake. I've seen a few people walk in and leave in disgust. This hotel commands fairly high rates. I got really spoiled at the JW Bogota I guess.

Last edited by ryan754; Jul 29, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Bumping this because I'll be at the IC Medellin in a couple of weeks. Choice was the IC or the HIX: but as they were more or less the same price, I went for the luxury of the IC ....

Reading through this thread I should perhaps have opted for the city-centre convenience and utilitarian chic of the HIX

Anyone want to reassure me ?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the IC Medellin this past weekend. I booked a King Bed Aparta Suite, ended up with one on the 3rd floor facing the front parking lot area.

The room and hallways seemed fairly recently renovated, everything worked as it should. There was no TV in the living room which was a bit odd. The bathroom was rather small for such a large room, although it did have a large shower but no tub. Overall, its not nearly as nice as the nicer ICs I've stayed at. But I've stayed at worse.

I decided against getting lounge access as previous reviews of it were negative. I did get breakfast. The spread was good with a nice selection of pastries, hot items, and fruit. No sausage or bacon. They did have warm pandebono which is like a little cheese bread thing, they're very good when they're warm - some other hotels only have them cold. For $10/night, it was worth it for me.

If you're into views, unfortunately the majority of the rooms in the hotel have no view. Half of one wing, or about 1/6th of the rooms, should have a partial view of the city, with higher rooms and rooms further away from the center of the building likely being better. If I ever stay here again, I will request those rooms specifically.

In terms of location, you'll probably be taking a taxi or Uber to the hotel unless you enjoy walking uphill. I did enjoy the restaurant across the street. Also did the hotel restaurant one night, ended up getting the stone plate thing since I felt nostalgic from a previous trip to Australia but its probably a bit overpriced for basically some raw meat. Not sure how the prepared items are.

I did consider both the Four Points and the HIX but ultimately decided that since the IC was only a bit more, and since Ubers are pretty cheap, I'd stay at the IC. In hindsight, I'm happy with my decision. There is a Marriott opening later this year in Medellin operated by the same company as the Marriotts in Bogota so I'm expecting that to be a superior property to this IC when it opens but we'll see.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Providing a more recent update as I'm checking out now. The hotel is fine, but I don't think I'd stay here again and it lacked a lot of the touches I expect at an IC.
I actually chose this over the Four points because I had an expiring Bogo Ambassador certificate, which for some reason caused trouble at check-in. They had to ask about 3 people about the certificate , even though id booked the appropriate rate, and ended up making me pay for the one night at check in, even though they'd already swiped card etc.
Concierge desk never seemed to be staffed.
Gym was very small for an IC. The pool area is very nice. Got a one category upgrade as a Platinum Ambassador. Had booked junior suite , got a real suite, probably not a huge difference. Carpets and furniture all seemed recently refreshed. I did not get the standard IC Ambassador welcome amenity- just a bottle of water and a plate of cookies. Not sure if the cookies were in lieu of fruit or in lieu of the welcome gift. Wasn't delivered until 830pm at night, and housekeeping took them away in the morning.
To get onto property, have to go through a security gate, which makes Uber difficult. The restaurant Hato Viejo across the street is fine, but I much rather have stayed in Poblado itself so I could walk around. Staying here, you will be reliant on the slightly overpriced hotel taxis.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 7:53 pm

Staying here currently and will post a review in the Royal Amb. thread after checking out.
I came with fairly low expectations, but the hotel is better than expected.
Staff is very friendly and helpful, especially the front desk people who double as concierge. But sometimes you could just choke them when you see how inefficient they are.
Breakfast quality and selection is below average for an IC,
The Club has some food after 2 pm and an extensive menu you can order from (more or less the list of the appetizers from the restaurant). They call room service and around 25 min later your dishes show up. You could easily replace dinner.
Taxis are cheap, the hotel taxi charges 10.000 (a bit over 3 USD) to the restaurants, shopping malls etc, a regular taxi on the way back is between 7.000 and 10.000 - not really overpriced.
They have a security guard at the driveway, but usually just waves you thru.

And btw: Medellin is pretty nice and feels as safe as any other big city. After reading all the warnings about the city I was expecting something completely different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.