Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Toronto Center (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is there any free wireless Internet here? Have there been any renovations or updates in the past year or two?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Standard wireless internet access is free if you are an IHG Rewards Club member. In addition, rooms/hotel have been recently renovated.

mxm135
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 4/13 - 4/14

Location: The best part about the hotel. For touring Toronto the location is excellent. It's a block away from Skydome and the CN Tower and two blocks away from the downtown Rail Station which means you can either take an Uber or the UP Express to YYZ. It's walking distance to Queen Street which has a number of nice restaurants and stores and there's a TTC Station a few blocks away.

Hotel: The hotel is an older concrete hulk but it's nice on the inside. The lobby has a bar and restaurant and a few stores and there's an attached underground parking garage which is accessed through the basement level. The 3rd floor has an indoor pool and fitness center.

Check In: A very mixed bag. I was traveling with two of my brothers. The first is Ambassador and IHG Platinum and he was treated extremely well by the agent and upgraded to a suite on the 26th floor. The second was just IHG Platinum. I was checking in with him and our agent was hostile. We had a reservation for a superior room marked for two people with two beds. Our agent claimed we had been "upgraded" to a deluxe room with just a King and he claimed there were no rooms with two beds left but he would give us a free cot to make up for it. I pulled up the IHG app and pointed out the hotel was selling four rooms with two beds. All of a sudden a room materialized.

Room: Pretty bad. It overlooked the pool of all things and nothing about it felt luxury. On the plus side the beds were comfortable, there were outlets next to them and the bathroom was nice.

Other: My brother I was staying with complained about the check in experience on checkout and was given...500 points. I'm Spire/Ambassador and I ended up wishing I'd been the one who booked the room. I like the location of the hotel but after the treatment I experienced I'd have second thoughts about coming back.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I'll start with a heavily edited post by CMK10.
Originally Posted by CMK10

Check In: A very mixed bag.

Room: Pretty bad.

Other: I like the location of the hotel but after the treatment I experienced I'd have second thoughts about coming back.
This was my first ever stay in an Intercontinental Hotel, and it did nothing to make me want to stay in another.

I made a reservation for a club-access room over the phone, because the web site required a CVV but provided no field in which to enter it. The agent botched some details of the reservation, but I was able to edit it on-line.

A month later, when a lower rate became available, I changed the reservation. At check-in, the hotel had no record of the lower-rate reservation. When I produced the confirmatory email, the desk clerk changed it. (That was the second desk clerk, who was far better than the aloof so-and-so who just barely deigned to perform the check-in.)

The room had a scale, something I don't believe I had ever seen in a hotel room before. Unfortunately, it didn't work. There was one of those fancy illuminated mirrors, where the user could turn on a circumferential light. The light turned on, but not off. (Well, it did turn off when I unplugged it.) The "premium access" internet that came with the club-access room was marginal as standard access. The lamp on the desk had its switch in-line on the cord, and positioned just under the back of the desk, where it wasn't visible until viewed from almost directly above or below. The lounge attendants were busy chatting amongst themselves and left the "lounge closed" sign in the entryway for ten minutes after the opening time. (At that point, I asked if we could enter; I don't know how long it would have taken them to move the sign if left to their own volition.) And the Welcome Amenity points did not post.

I stayed here because of the location, but I'll probably be at the Hilton (about 800 m north) on future visits to Toronto.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
I can second that. This IC is in all terms inferior to all other IC's I know, especially considering that it is not necessarily cheap. And I'm saying this as Royal Ambassador. At breakfast during my last stay in May they even asked me to pay additionally for a second cappuccino
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by serpens
This was my first ever stay in an Intercontinental Hotel, and it did nothing to make me want to stay in another.
Originally Posted by boekel
This IC is in all terms inferior to all other IC's I know,
That's a sweeping statement, and in this case, encouraging.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:49 am

Does anyone have any recent experience of this hotel?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:53 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33647955-post34.html

I do not agree that this IC is the worsest but everyone has different expectations. IC Vienna it is not but I was happy with the upgrade I got as a plain Ambassador and I get all benefits proactively there. Location is most important to me as I travel from Montreal by train for business and use GO trains to visit the office in Port Credit.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Feb 7, 2022 at 6:41 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:02 am

If anyone's interested, I'm finding rooms in August for 27k per night with 4th night free on the premier card.

After an upgrade to a view room (which is only like a CAD $25 upsell anyway), I'm getting 2.5 cents value on my redemption which is outstanding.

36k per night is also a great use for capped Chase free nights.

EDIT: Apparently this was a "thing" across IHG and YMMV now.

Last edited by saaveraward; Aug 7, 2022 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 29, 2022, 10:29 am

Stay here was average.

put in a Nor1 for a junior suite, upgraded to it and never charged for it (price was $25/night). Nothing special about the junior suite, but you could really call it a full one bedroom suite. However, I can never figure this out at a lot of hotels, every piece of furniture was angled away from the lake view. The ridiculous, uncomfortable crescent-shaped couch is a poor choice.

Front desk was terribly understaffed multiple times and people in line were complaining. Housekeeping repeatedly knocked on the door with DND sign out and would say, "Sorry, I know you had your DND sign on the door, but...." Really? Calling down for a water refresh was useless, so I found a housekeeper and asked for some from her cart.

Breakfast was a bright spot. Very good spread. Made-to-order egg station and comped for Diamond members.

Got a 6 pm checkout for $100 + 17% tax (never been charged tax on a late checkout before).

Hotel is fine. Just reinforces that IC is not a luxury brand and operates as a 3-4 star convention hotel in some markets.

Last edited by saaveraward; Aug 29, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: IHG Rewards
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Stay here was average.

put in a Nor1 for a junior suite, upgraded to it and never charged for it (price was $25/night). Nothing special about the junior suite, but you could really call it a full one bedroom suite. However, I can never figure this out at a lot of hotels, every piece of furniture was angled away from the lake view. The ridiculous, uncomfortable crescent-shaped couch is a poor choice.

Front desk was terribly understaffed multiple times and people in line were complaining. Housekeeping repeatedly knocked on the door with DND sign out and would say, "Sorry, I know you had your DND sign on the door, but...." Really? Calling down for a water refresh was useless, so I found a housekeeper and asked for some from her cart.

Breakfast was a bright spot. Very good spread. Made-to-order egg station and comped for Diamond members.

Got a 6 pm checkout for $100 + 17% tax (never been charged tax on a late checkout before).

Hotel is fine. Just reinforces that IC is not a luxury brand and operates as a 3-4 star convention hotel in some markets.
Thanks for your review!
Did you try out the lounge access? Free breakfast for diamond member apply?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by charliechan51
Thanks for your review!
Did you try out the lounge access? Free breakfast for diamond member apply?
I was not offered lounge access (was not staying in a club room) and did not ask what the supplement would have been.

Yes, breakfast is included for diamonds.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I was not offered lounge access (was not staying in a club room) and did not ask what the supplement would have been.

Yes, breakfast is included for diamonds.
do u have annual lounge membership at that time?
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by charliechan51
do u have annual lounge membership at that time?
No
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:53 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
We've just completed a three night stay here, current status Diamond Ambassador.

POSITIVE:
+ The staff we interacted with were all friendly and competent.
+ Decent upgrade (king room booked with points, upgraded to a large corner room on the 24th floor (of 25).
+ Breakfast vouchers explicitly include taxes and tip.
+ 4 pm checkout honoured without any pushback.

NEGATIVE:
- We were surprised by the shabbiness and general air of non-luxury. Even for N. America this is a weak IC.
- The air conditioning was extreme. In the public areas you need a jacket and our room was set to 66 F when we arrived. We turned it off completely and two days later the room was still chilly, despite south-facing windows. It might be nice and toasty in winter, of course.
- The breakfast buffet was generally poor, the only exception being ordered egg dishes. There was no bread that could be enjoyed without being toasted first.
- The Diamond breakfast vouchers include vast flasks of filter coffee, for which the menu price is $6, but don't cover a $4 espresso.

We're now at the Hyatt Regency a few blocks away, which isn't great but substantially better than the IC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.