Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Berlin Master Thread - after January 01, 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 3:04 am

its a protector directly under the sheet, however, it's very rough ( a kin to rough towel or blanket).

you can feel it through the sheet.

I emailed the GM and office manager yesterday, and they have apologized and replaced the mattress with a softer one.

With that and the protector removed the bed is 10x better,

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Apologies if I am being dense but what is the issue you are trying to show with your picture? I fail to see what can be the source of discomfort.

On the pillows I agree, it is a scourge in most higher end hotels. I guess most people like mushy feather pillows that give no support, I always ask for firm ones and that solves the issue.
Old May 10, 2024, 3:11 am

Lounge

The lounge is very nice and service is good.

There is a lounge seating and dining area.

They have breakfast in the morning from 06.30 to 11.00 (small buffet and 6 ala carte options)
afternoon tea from 2.00-5.00
evening service from 5.00-8.00 (dessert canaps, 3 larger warm option's , 3 cold options and a nice selection of breads , dips , cheeses.

I am not drinking on this stay but they have selection of soft drinks , loose teas, coffees and beers all day. Evening time there wines, champagne and gin, vodka, whiskey.

Club access includes complimentary access to the spa.

Originally Posted by palermo
any update / recent experience on the lounge. Going early June for a few days to Berlin,. Hotel fully booked until 7th (was offered a noom as a Diamond but standard rate was too expensive) so I am staying a few days prior in the Hilton which has a surprisingly nice lounge.
Old May 11, 2024, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Originally Posted by bladeds12
The lounge is very nice and service is good.

There is a lounge seating and dining area.

They have breakfast in the morning from 06.30 to 11.00 (small buffet and 6 ala carte options)
afternoon tea from 2.00-5.00
evening service from 5.00-8.00 (dessert canaps, 3 larger warm option's , 3 cold options and a nice selection of breads , dips , cheeses.

I am not drinking on this stay but they have selection of soft drinks , loose teas, coffees and beers all day. Evening time there wines, champagne and gin, vodka, whiskey.

Club access includes complimentary access to the spa.
Thanks for the update!
Old May 11, 2024, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
InterContinental Berlin

Index to Genius1 Trip Reports

Designed by architects William Pereira and Charles Luckman and opened in 1958 as the Hilton Berlin, 1978 saw InterContinental take the reins of this property in the heart of the city’s embassy district. Famous guests over the years have included Alfred Hitchcock, Michael Jackson and Tom Hanks, alongside Presidents Clinton, Bush and Biden. Refurbished most recently between 2019 and 2023, my visit in March last year coincided with the final works taking place to the hotel’s pyramid-like entrance.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The hotel’s lobby is unfussy but elegant and has a number of interesting angular architectural details if you look closely enough.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Check-in was efficient, with the Ambassador 16:00 check-out proactively offered, room upgrade noted, Diamond complimentary breakfast talked through and routes to both the breakfast restaurant (LA Caf) and the spa explained.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Premium room on the 11th floor of the original West Wing was a one category upgrade from our booked Classic room, and just one floor down from the top room floor, overlooking the adjacent zoo.

Premium rooms are a fair bit larger than Classic rooms, sizing up at an average 40 square metres compared to 26 square metres – and with the added benefit of a walk-in shower separate to the bath. Rooms have been smartly refurbished, although the central minibar console and awkwardly positioned TV console are slightly updated relics of an earlier 2010s refurbishment (as is the bathroom). The room’s main entrance door together with that serving the connecting room gave strong late 1990s/early 2000s vibes. The lift interiors also followed this style.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The room was well equipped with a sofa bed, make-up stool, desk and ample walk-in wardrobe and suitcase storage within the spacious bathroom, with an additional open wardrobe for coats in the hall.

Spoiler

The safe took some time to be located but was eventually found impractically positioned in the drawer of one of the bedside tables. The minibar was stocked, and included a single bottle of complimentary water, Bosch coffee machine and Ronnefeldt teabags, although there was no built-in socket for the kettle which had to be moved to the desk to be used. Power sockets and master light switches were located both sides of the bed, although there was only a single USB-A socket located by the desk.

Spoiler

The bathroom, once accessed via an awkward sliding door, had plenty of space for two basins but only had one, but the rest of the space had been well used by large shower and toilet cubicles, and a full-size bath. The usual InterContinental Byredo amenities were present in large bottles.

Spoiler

Being early spring, the external temperature was presumably too cold for the room’s individual air conditioning to be activated, which meant we had to open the windows to cool the room. Centrally controlling room temperatures is not very five star.

There was no turndown service, although daily housekeeping service was thorough – almost too thorough, with soap being disposed of after one use on one morning of our stay.

Spoiler

The hotel offers three dining venues – LA Caf on the ground floor for breakfast, Marlene off the ground floor lobby for drinks and all-day dining, and Michelin-starred Hugos on the 14th floor. We had breakfast each morning in LA Caf, a somewhat oddly located buffet restaurant opposite the conference area of the hotel meaning lots of dry networking chatter permeated the restaurant. The restaurant is another relic of the late 1990s/early 2000s, and whilst well cared for, has certainly seen better days from an interior design perspective. Some new carpet and dining furniture really wouldn’t go amiss.

Spoiler

Spoiler

That being said, there were numerous seating areas to choose from, and the buffet itself was sufficiently extensive to distract from any interior design related concerns. Numerous self-serve buffet stations are complemented by a made-to-order eggs, waffles and pancake station. Everything was of a good quality, well presented and replenished.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The spa (creatively named SPA) is located on the ground floor of the East Wing, with the entrance just to the right of reception. I didn’t use it on this occasion, but I had noted on the hotel’s website that use of the swimming pool is charged at EUR10 per person, rising to EUR20 if you want to include the sauna area. Whilst Club guests are exempted from this charge, it turns out Ambassador members are also exempted (without this being advertised anywhere). Whilst this is appreciated, charging guests for use of the pool is an unwelcome but growing trend amongst some European properties. It’s not something I would expect from an InterContinental.

Spoiler

The property makes extensive use of green roofs which can be glimpsed from some windows.

Spoiler

When it came time to check out, an accurate bill with the Ambassador minibar / dining credit of EUR15 automatically applied was by now expected from this efficient and professional property. Whilst the location is slightly out of the way for the main tourist sights and the vibe is decidedly corporate, the service, amenities and spacious rooms make this a hotel I’d easily return to.
Smythmeister and noppie like this.

Last edited by Genius1; May 18, 2024 at 10:01 am Reason: Edited spoilers added by moderator to showcase key photos.
Old May 11, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Just finished a one-night stay using the annual cert from the Chase card (the card comes with plat status). We were upgraded to a junior suite, given free use of the spa and pool and enjoyed a drink in the Marlene bar in lieu of 600 points. All in all a very pleasant stay and everyone we interacted with was great. Agree that the mattress protector makes the bed a bit "hard" but for us it was OK and we liked the split duvets for two people. The 200 bus runs outside every twelve minutes; two stops west to the zoo and the train/S-Bahn and if you take it towards museum island you can change at Potsdamer Platz to the 300 or walk about ten minutes from the 200's bus stop. I really liked the hotel and would definitely recommend it, especially if you have status.
nicolas75 likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I am booked at the IC Berlin in September. Right now I am Diamond Ambassador, but considering not renewing Ambassador this year. Other than the $20 (or equivalent) F&B credit and 4pm checkout (won't need anyway), what am I missing by having only diamond. I do have the milestone lounge pass, and will get free breakfast. Booked with points into a classic room.
Old May 15, 2024, 1:51 am

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I am booked at the IC Berlin in September. Right now I am Diamond Ambassador, but considering not renewing Ambassador this year. Other than the $20 (or equivalent) F&B credit and 4pm checkout (won't need anyway), what am I missing by having only diamond. I do have the milestone lounge pass, and will get free breakfast. Booked with points into a classic room.
In general, probably not much other than those two items. Given that you are using points, the one category "guaranteed" upgrade, which would be another incremental benefit, does not apply.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:54 am

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
As far as I know in Berlin they will honour the one cat upgrade on points bookings for Ambassadors not sure how it will be for Diamond only , that might depend on demand . September has has very busy high revenue periods
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 1:13 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Platinum; IHG Diamond-Amb.; Meli/HH/Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ninjalad
[...] that might depend on demand[...]
Indeed. This thread has several examples of upgrades -- including upgrades to stays booked with points or "free night" certificates -- that were more generous than the terms of either IHG Rewards or Ambassador. Sometimes much more generous. But one shouldn't expect that and if the property is fully booked it's unlikely.

I wouldn't renew Ambassador solely for a chance of a better room on a single booking made with points. Is that really all renewal would bring you over 12 months, DavidDTW ?
Old May 17, 2024, 11:34 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by IMH
I wouldn't renew Ambassador solely for a chance of a better room on a single booking made with points. Is that really all renewal would bring you over 12 months, DavidDTW ?
Which is why I am hesitating. I don't stay at ICs more than a few times each year. This trip being my last one for 2024. My thinking is to hold off renewal until I start planning for next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.