Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sick of having to always argue for Plat benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Sick of having to always argue for Plat benefits

I hate the check-in part of most hotel. Since like most of us have to argue for the benefits that should have just been given to us. Do you think all of us should form up into a group, write a letter to priority club HQ, and put our PC number and name into this letter, and voice our dis-satisfaction? It would probably shake them up into action? Maybe we can ask for either a phone number or a email for us to report the hotel for their evil plat treatment so that they can argue on our behalf. Or maybe we can get the GM or the Front desk manager of the evil hotel fired.. or something like tat... Maybe it will be better for all of us...

What do you guys think?
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX Diamond, SQ PPS Club, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I second that!

I am also sick and tired of having to argue with the front office what benefits Platinum members should receive at respective IHG properties.

To start off, the two programmes (Priority Club and Ambassador Club) within the IHG are confusing to an average traveller, especially if one stays at InterContinental and Crowne Plaza alot. Why not do something like what Marriott has done, especially when Marriott Hotels and Resorts have multiple brands catering to vast number of market segments from 5 star to 3 star. This is also what IHG is also doing so my recommendation to IHG management is to benchmark their programme with that of Marriott or other hotels that have a similar business model as theirs.

Overall, I prefer the Starwood Preferred Guest programme. I have never had to argue with the front office about my Platinum benefits. Starwood Rocks!
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:36 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
I've never argued for benefits and I doubt that I would be inclined to do that. I'm not really interested in trying to get anybody fired. There is not a lot of consistency in the area of extra perks, although I've generally found it more common to recognize status in Europe. What I mostly get for being platinum is more points and the promotions with PC have been very generous, too. I've heard that Starwood is a good program. HH is okay and as a gold, I do find more consistent extra bennies -- but it takes a lot more nights at HH properties to translate into complimentary stays.

To me, the ability to secure complimentary nights more often is where the primary value of the PC program lies. I don't have time to complain about not getting extra-special treatment based on status that is largely conferred on me as a result of bonus promotions anyway. I don't have a problem getting what I pay for and sometimes significantly more.

Last edited by Standby4321; Mar 28, 2005 at 5:38 pm
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:47 pm

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Sounds a great idea, BUT if you signed up for any 10k promos anything you were not meant to have ie more than 1, I wouldn't say anything, as if they start looking at every ones accounts they will soon find a pattern in people getting more points than they should out of the promos. And with people getting over 110k with the last round thats a lot of points to lose, just because a few hotels are a bit mean with upgrades.

And to add if any one can complain about not getting an upgrade after scoring a load of points from promos they were not invited to join, it seems a bit off really. If it happend all the time then yes complain but you have to take the rough with the smooth in my opinion.

There have been many threads on plat upgrades, I think people only post the times it didn't happen and never mention the fact that they scored 2 weeks at an IC free do to promos posted here.

Dino

Last edited by Dino2020; Mar 28, 2005 at 5:53 pm
Old Mar 28, 2005, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
I have to agree with Dino2020 . I'm a new AMB and was largely disappointed with my very first stay at IC New Orleans, besides the VIP check-in during a 30 guest rush(that was nice ) While the taste of Plat is days away, I'm not going to go up to high in the ladder of power. Once someone actually looks at the detail of points/bonus points earned on some member's accounts, there will be trouble. Do most of you all lightly ask for upgrades and move on if shot down or fight til the death? Just wondering how agressive I should be.

Last edited by smileymike13; Mar 28, 2005 at 6:42 pm
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by smileymike13
Do most of you all lightly ask for upgrades and move on if shot down or fight til the death? Just wondering how agressive I should be.
I suppose it depends how often you use IC hotels. Over a number of visits, $150 might be worth paying for fast check-in/out, the occasional upgrade and other bits and bobs. If you are an infrequent IC guest, then it may not be a good idea - unless you value the odd banana and bottle of water much higher than I do. It's certainly not worth losing face at the reception desk by getting agressive.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 1:59 am
Original Poster

I normally dont ask whether there is an upgrade. I always ask them innocently, so what do you provide for plat/amb/ra?

They will then give me either a 1 whole list or tell me "nothing". If they do tell me that they dont ungrade plat/amb, I then ask them... how they reward their loyal customers. Normally this conversation will lead to an upgrade and a happy relationship between me and the front desk staff.

If I am expecting an upgrade problem (from posts in this forum), I will try and befriend the front desk manager by introducing myself to him and telling him that I will be stayin at his hotel and thank him in advance for looking after me. This normally solve the upgrade problem also.

I will only be aggressive if I am being lied to. If there are rooms that I can book to upgrade me to, and they refuse to upgrade me. I can be very aggressive.

Boohooo....now.. nobody can solve the upgrade problem... Life is cruel to the wannabe.....
Old Mar 29, 2005, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I agree with Dino2020 about the trade-offs, but I am also on record enough about my feelings of taking over advantage of the glitches in the bonus system, so would be quite willing to forego them if we could get a pledge of consistency, which is all I ask from any program like Priority Club.

I have two bottom line issues with PC:

1. Consistent application of elite benefits as set out in the T&Cs. Most have read the text of my exchanges with Customer Service over this matter, and in particular with my recent experience at the CP Jerusalem. If there are to be benefits of being elite, then I believe it is not unreasonable to expect to receive them each and every time [given availability at check-in for upgrades a given property] when paying any rate available on the IC/PC booking engine.

2. Consistent application/identification of PC point accruing applicable rates. If a rate is booked on the IC/PC website, then it should qualify for points accumulation. Otherwise, there should be a clear statement that the rate will not qualify [as we have in bold red on non-IC branded stays noting that "AMBASSADOR benefits do not apply on this stay".] Last summer I, like many here, experienced the infamous "30%" rule. I had booked my nights at rates that were available on the IC/PC booking engine [not Entertainment or Travel Industry] and the ones I used, I had used before: a combination of Great Rates and my Corporate Rate that I was assigned by Holiday Inn when I joined the program a decade or two ago. Last week, I experienced this ruling once again, after booking and paying my default Corporate Rate for a stay.

These are my two bottom lines from Priority Club, and I would be prepared to post these on FT in an OPEN MESSAGE thread addressed to Steven Sickel, the IC VP who is in charge of their loyalty program, and the man who redesigned the current PC/Ambassador programs.

As much as I like this program, these two matters still frustrate me [the first less than in the past, so there has been some progress] and explain why I could not vote for PC as a Freddy candidate.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AF/KL FB Gold; LX FTL; PC Plat/Amb; SPG Gold; HH Gold; Club Carlson Silver
Highly inconsistent experiences in NCL & GLA

The inconsistencies in treatment of Platinum PC members at HI hotels in the UK couldn’t have been made any clearer than they were for me in my recent stays at the HI Newcastle City Centre and the HI Glasgow Theatreland. In Newcastle, the staff had a confrontational attitude and tried everything they could to deny me any kind of benefit, whereas in Glasgow they went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

At the HI in Newcastle, the problems began at check-in when I asked whether they were going to upgrade us. “There’s no availability” was all I was told (not even an “I’m sorry, but…”, and not even a cursory glance through the computer to pretend to see what was available). I’ve since figured out that they probably don’t have a room better than the executive twin I’d booked so no upgrade was possible anyway, but they didn’t say that (to me “no availability” means they do have better rooms but they’re all full). I asked whether there were any other benefits in the form of vouchers or bonus points, etc. (I knew from reading posts on FT that alternative and/or additional benefits are often offered), but they looked at me as if I’d just asked for the head of John the Baptist so at that point I just gave up. All they said was that there was an in-room amenity consisting of water, a bottle of wine, and chocolates.

The room turned out to be very cramped for 2 people to share, with no space for luggage, a minuscule bathroom and no armchair or coffee table (no wonder they didn’t want to admit it was the best room in the hotel). Plus it was on a low floor so there was no view to speak of (just the back side of a loud nightclub), and the “amenity” consisted of a single tiny bottle of water and a miniature Kitkat. On the way out of the hotel later, I asked what had happened to the bottle of wine, and the duty manager managed to rustle up a bottle of table wine from the restaurant. From the conversation she had with whoever was at the other end of the line, the fact that there were 2 of us entitled us to a full bottle rather than a half bottle of wine – so a Plat guest staying on their own would presumably only get a half bottle. A second bottle of water and a miniature Mars bar also showed up in the room while we were out.

There were more problems when it came to checking out 2 days later. I asked for a late check-out, preferably until 4 p.m., but at least until 2 p.m., but the receptionist (a different one) adamantly refused to let us stay beyond 12 noon. She called housekeeping and claimed they were insisting on our vacating the room by noon because they needed it for the next guest who would be arriving in the afternoon (how the hell would they know that?).
This particular receptionist had a very confrontational attitude and was aggressively stonewalling me until another guy came out of the back office and offered to extend the check-out time to 1300, and said so with a tone that suggested that we really should count ourselves very lucky indeed to be getting away with that much. This didn’t suit our lunchtime plans so we ended up checking out at 10 a.m. The receptionists looked very pleased to be getting rid of us so early – after all, this was a bonus for them. Not only did they succeed in denying us the late check-out to which we were entitled, they even managed to get us out the door early! One-nil to the Holiday Inn versus the visitors! After all, "who do these Platinum cardholders think they are?" OK, but next time I’ll stay at the Hilton which is magnificently located above the Quayside and a beautifully appointed hotel. If only I’d known better than to be loyal to IHG on this occasion…

Anyway, the staff at this HI in Newcastle clearly have the attitude (which is still widespread in Britain) that any interaction with a guest/customer is some sort of battle which must have a winner and a loser. If the guest manages to get what they asked for, whether they’re entitled to it or not, then the employee has lost the battle, whereas if the staff can find a way to reject a request, then they have won.
When I managed to get them to produce a bottle of wine as part of the Plat amenity, they looked exasperated, as if to say, “well, I suppose we can’t get out of this one so we’re just going to have to give in and get him his bottle of wine”. However, when they gleefully said “there’s no availability” in response to my inquiry about an upgrade, their attitude was “the ball’s in your court now, sunshine – what are you going to come out with next?” When I backed down, they were visibly satisfied. When I was asking for a late check-out, I could tell they could hardly wait for me to finish speaking so they could get in a resounding “NO!”.

A few days after checking out of the HI in Newcastle, I rocked up at the Holiday Inn Glasgow Theatreland. The friendly, chatty receptionist offered me an upgrade to an executive room before I’d even had time to think of asking for one, and handed me vouchers for a free drink at the bar, a free in-room movie, and a free dessert in the restaurant (if I ordered a starter and main course). He also asked me questions about the PC program, explaining that there were some issues he wasn’t clear on because he’d only started working there recently. For example, he saw the Ambassador logo on my card and wanted to know more about it even though it wasn’t relevant for HI stays. It sounded like he just wanted to make sure he knew his job properly. The next day I asked for a moderately late check-out time (2 p.m.) and the receptionist immediately said “no problem at all”. For some reason she didn’t feel the need to call housekeeping first (unlike her counterpart in Newcastle). There was a bit of confusion over the final bill, but the mistake was mine and this fact was explained to me politely and non-confrontationally so there was really no problem at all.

No prizes for guessing the conclusions I’ve drawn from all this: I will never again stay at the HI Newcastle City Centre, and would be delighted to go back to the HI Glasgow Theatreland.

For the record, at both the Newcastle and the Glasgow properties, I paid the same advance purchase rates so the difference in treatment cannot be ascribed to the rates paid (ironically the Glasgow stay was actually much cheaper than the Newcastle stay).

BTW, it’s worth mentioning that in between these two stays in Newcastle and Glasgow, I spent a night at the IC the George in EDI and it was absolutely superb – I was fortunate enough to get one of the famous rooms on the 7th floor that have a view out over the Firth of Forth, and they insisted on giving me a check-out time of 4 p.m. even though I didn’t ask for it and even though they were fully booked, as indeed was the whole of Edinburgh over the Easter weekend. And the Amb amenity was absolutely perfect: a bottle of excellent French red, chocolates, fruit, water, and even a letter from the manager saying that if any of the above was unsuitable it would be replaced with whiskey or some other luxury! Needless to say I had no complaints!
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I agree attitude of front desk staff is everything, but must question your expectations. As a Plat PC elite you were not entitled to much more than you got, even less. You said you booked an Exec Room and you got one. Suites are not an upgrade option according to the T&C. Water is generally provided in Exec rooms, but wine and chocolates are purely at the option of the property, not a Plat benefit. As are any other coupons. Nor is late check-out a PC Plat benefit, just an Ambassador one. So while the attitude was lacking, you got more than you were entitled to as a Plat.

In Glasgow you lucked out. You got a keen front desk person, and that makes all the difference. I am not sure what type room you booked, but getting an Exec room would have been an upgrade if you had booked a standard room, as you acknowledged. Nothing more is required under the T&C but this property, in a competitive city, does what many HIs do, but are not required to do.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
Hello Shareholder,

AFAIK, PC Platinums are indeed entitled to late check-out, unless things have changed recently. Below is the text of an e-mail I received last August :

"Our Platinum members, being at the highest level, are considered the most regarded members in the program. The following are your benefits and can be applied to any of our hotel properties worldwide:

* All club member benefits, plus:
* 50% point bonus on base points
* Priority Check-in
* Complimentary room upgrades available at check-in
* Guaranteed room availability (72 hours in advance)
* Access to the exclusive Platinum Elite Phone Number

Furthermore, extended check-out may be requested until 2PM EST and will be offered based upon availability as well."
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:53 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I have been Platinum Level with PC for most of the past 5 years. I think most of the posters are expecting privileges similar to those in other programs. IMHO, I don't think that loyalty programs that sell the mid-level status for $50 or Ambassador status for $150 is going to treat any status level differently from the average walk-in. Other than checking to verify my PC number is in the system and my room preferences are known, I never ask for any extras, because I don't expect any. In the US, I feel fortunate to even get my bed preference, which isn't always a given, even for my level. I think around 90% of the rooms I get as a Platinum would have been the same room even with no status. Free breakfasts are rare, coupons for a discounted breakfast or free drinks seem to be for all PC members.

OTOH, I have noticed a huge service difference in outside the US vs US stays with the top level status in the Hilton program and even with mid-level in Marriott, but my luck with IC hotels outside the US is spotty. I don't think the IC hotel staff members I've met understand that Platinum status is anything different from being a Priority Club member. On more than one occasion, my assigned room was stated to be based on "my membership in the Priority Club", rather than my platinum status, which was never mentioned. I did get an upgrade last week at an IC in the South Pacific, but I think it was due more to my request (and availability) forwarded by the staff at one IC to another, rather than from my status. I was not given any late check-out options at 3 ICs and 1 Holiday Inn outside the US, although I requested it. I was allowed to check luggage in the storage area and ending up waiting in the lobby in two hotels for over an hour, rather than in my room. I'm not complaining. I didn't expect anything different.

Last edited by outoftown; Mar 29, 2005 at 9:00 pm
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:18 am

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Originally Posted by Meriem
Hello Shareholder,

AFAIK, PC Platinums are indeed entitled to late check-out,
Here is what Plat members are entitled too and has been covered many many times. There is no late checkout option this is only available to Royal/Ambassador, you can ask the hotel for one but it is not gaurnteed like it is for Royal/Ambassadors

PRIORITY CLUBŪ REWARDS GOLD, PLATINUM ("ELITE") MEMBERSHIPS

Priority ClubŪ Rewards Gold membership will be awarded to you if you have a minimum of 15 nights at Qualifying Rates or if you earn at least 20,000 points during a calendar year. Priority ClubŪ Rewards Platinum membership will be awarded to you if you have a minimum of 50 nights at Qualifying Rates or if you earn at least 60,000 points during a calendar year. Once you have earned Elite membership status in any calendar year, you will maintain such status through the end of the following calendar year. Members may also purchase a Gold membership for a fee of $50 USD which can only be paid for by an accepted credit card. Gold memberships that are purchased are only valid for the duration of the calendar year in which they are purchased. Follow the instructions at www.priorityclub.com/purchasegold or contact your nearest Priority ClubŪ Service Center for assistance. No cancellations or refunds are permitted.
You must re-qualify each calendar year for the next year's Elite membership status.

Priority ClubŪ Rewards Gold members will receive a 10% bonus on all base points earned during the period in which they are Priority ClubŪ Rewards Gold members. Priority ClubŪ Rewards Platinum members will receive a 50% bonus on all base points earned during the period in which they are Priority ClubŪ Rewards Platinum members. Future bonus/benefits for Gold and Platinum members may vary. Gold and Platinum level bonus points are credited only to members who choose to collect Priority ClubŪ points. Bonus points for Gold and Platinum members apply only on the base points collected by a member and not on any additional points received due to a special offer or promotion.

Hotel Room Upgrades for Platinum Members:
Platinum level members will be offered a complimentary upgrade to the hotel's Concierge or Club Level (for Crowne Plaza) or to the hotel's Executive Level or Executive Edition Level (for Holiday Inn brands), or to the best available room, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, based on availability, and will only apply to the member's personal guest room. The hotel is not required to upgrade members to suites or specialty rooms. Upgrade benefit will not apply to rooms booked as a Reward Night reservation.
Guaranteed Room Availability for Platinum Members: When contacting the Priority ClubŪ Service Center directly and guaranteeing the reservation with a valid credit card, each Platinum level member will be guaranteed one room for personal use, for reservations made at least 72 hours prior to the date of arrival, except during special events that result in extraordinary room demand, as determined solely by the hotel. The member will not be charged more than the prevailing rate for the accommodation requested, and the member is not entitled to a rate less than the prevailing rate. Once made, Platinum Guarantees may not be dishonored for any reason. If the member does not arrive and has not obtained a cancellation number prior to 6 p.m. (4 p.m. in Europe), the credit card may be billed for one night's room and tax. Platinum Guarantees do not apply to Reward Nights.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 2:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
tired !

All this tires me. I consider that a statute of RA or any platinum in some
chains that it either is one "plus" and that I will not give myself
headaches to spend more time claiming and to think how I will claim. I
find that stupid and "small". Usually I am always upgraded
suitably and does not spend my energy to note only it misses this or
that. What a waste of time, what an unpleasant incidence on a stay that
that where one is complaining without stop. Undoubtedly is necessary
it to make respect the written agreements, but in a climate of
peaceful and courteous authority... I note that one is generally
gaining, and without being annoyed and making a stay unpleasant for
our entourage and staff because one did not have exactly this or
that. But with each one its philosophy. I remain surprised, that some,
just new RA member start to test the reality of their statute as a dollar which one bites to make sure that it is not false. I find that very sad.
Some idea of being a gentleman going lost ?

Last edited by JC25; Mar 30, 2005 at 2:48 pm
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by outoftown
I have been Platinum Level with PC for most of the past 5 years. I think most of the posters are expecting privileges similar to those in other programs. IMHO, I don't think that loyalty programs that sell the mid-level status for $50 or Ambassador status for $150 is going to treat any status level differently from the average walk-in. Other than checking to verify my PC number is in the system and my room preferences are known, I never ask for any extras, because I don't expect any. In the US, I feel fortunate to even get my bed preference, which isn't always a given, even for my level. I think around 90% of the rooms I get as a Platinum would have been the same room even with no status. Free breakfasts are rare, coupons for a discounted breakfast or free drinks seem to be for all PC members.

PC only sells Gold, and there are next to no upgrade or other benefits that go with Gold. We are talking Platinum, which though many here can easily obtain through various promotions, is still a rather limited access tier. BTW breakfast is nowhere mentioned as a benefit and if offered, is done so at the discretion of the individual property. Some offer a breakfast voucher, other a free drink or two in the bar. [Breakfast is part of Club level services if one is upgraded to such a floor, or may be included as part of the rate one books.]

AMBASSADOR is a very different program altogether and the basic level provides a nice set of "extras" for occasional users of IC branded properties. One does, like Plat PC, have to earn or otherwise be recommended for RA, which bestows further benefits.

Thanks Dino2020, for pointing out that Late Check-out is not a Platinum benefit, but rather applies only at IC branded properties for RAs, though as an AMBASSADOR I have been given the benefit based, always, on the situation at the hotel. Most hotels, HIs or CPs, will give you a break on check-out, though it will depend on how heavily they are booked and how desparately they need the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.