FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sick of having to always argue for Plat benefits
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:53 pm
outoftown

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I have been Platinum Level with PC for most of the past 5 years. I think most of the posters are expecting privileges similar to those in other programs. IMHO, I don't think that loyalty programs that sell the mid-level status for $50 or Ambassador status for $150 is going to treat any status level differently from the average walk-in. Other than checking to verify my PC number is in the system and my room preferences are known, I never ask for any extras, because I don't expect any. In the US, I feel fortunate to even get my bed preference, which isn't always a given, even for my level. I think around 90% of the rooms I get as a Platinum would have been the same room even with no status. Free breakfasts are rare, coupons for a discounted breakfast or free drinks seem to be for all PC members.

OTOH, I have noticed a huge service difference in outside the US vs US stays with the top level status in the Hilton program and even with mid-level in Marriott, but my luck with IC hotels outside the US is spotty. I don't think the IC hotel staff members I've met understand that Platinum status is anything different from being a Priority Club member. On more than one occasion, my assigned room was stated to be based on "my membership in the Priority Club", rather than my platinum status, which was never mentioned. I did get an upgrade last week at an IC in the South Pacific, but I think it was due more to my request (and availability) forwarded by the staff at one IC to another, rather than from my status. I was not given any late check-out options at 3 ICs and 1 Holiday Inn outside the US, although I requested it. I was allowed to check luggage in the storage area and ending up waiting in the lobby in two hotels for over an hour, rather than in my room. I'm not complaining. I didn't expect anything different.

Last edited by outoftown; Mar 29, 2005 at 9:00 pm