Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it me, or does Ambass cust service suck?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:58 am
RCC
Original Poster

Is it me, or does Ambass cust service suck?

Hey Guys...I am sure many of you joined the ban wagon, jumped all over Ambass level, 25K delta miles for $150...myself included in that category....

I have email ambass over 5 days ago to hear nothing....btw, I cc'ed PC club on this & they responded that their England office will field this question...I should mention that PC in Phillipines answered this within 45 min, pretty darn quick as far as I am concerned...

I asked a simple question...do you have a toll free # for those of us calling from USA?....I dont what to know what my cell phone carrier would charge to call Euro....I know from my home phone is like $0.07/min....not bad....I can live with that.....

but I think we are moving ahead in the game here spending more $$ with PC group as a whole & no toll free #...whats up with that.....then not even getitng responses.............

what are everyone elses experiences....

Ric
Old Sep 6, 2004, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
What you newbies must know is that Ambassador is a small program that is handled by a couple of women in Bristol. It is a very antiquated system, very old English. You will not get the same type of customer service from them, because they do not operate the way Priority Club or other major stay program do.

In the last month, they have been deluged with applications from the Delta program, well beyond the ability of a couple of people who don't normally handle much more contact with clients than three or four renewals a day. All memberships are processed manually, and thus if there is a backlog, it will be gotten to in time. Also, it is very likely that as half of Europe has been on vacation in August, this office was short staffed at this particular time.

Those of us who have been members of the Six Continents Club and Ambassador for years, know it is different and seldom have had problems with customer service.

I take the view that this promotion has backfired on IC. The cost of buying DL miles is at least $250 at the normal penny a point, and thus even though they may have gotten $150, there is a net loss to be dealt with. Expecting no doubt to generate lots of new business, IC can likely take the hit. But none the less, they are likely quite surprised that a promotion that was intended to attract a couple of hundred new members, may have snowballed beyond their ability to cope.

So just remember this when you have dealings with the Ambassador program. It is different, and quite honestly, I hope it stays that way...it's part of the charm of the whole thing!
Old Sep 6, 2004, 3:18 pm
RCC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
What you newbies must know is that Ambassador is a small program that is handled by a couple of women in Bristol. It is a very antiquated system, very old English. You will not get the same type of customer service from them, because they do not operate the way Priority Club or other major stay program do.

In the last month, they have been deluged with applications from the Delta program, well beyond the ability of a couple of people who don't normally handle much more contact with clients than three or four renewals a day. All memberships are processed manually, and thus if there is a backlog, it will be gotten to in time. Also, it is very likely that as half of Europe has been on vacation in August, this office was short staffed at this particular time.

Those of us who have been members of the Six Continents Club and Ambassador for years, know it is different and seldom have had problems with customer service.

I take the view that this promotion has backfired on IC. The cost of buying DL miles is at least $250 at the normal penny a point, and thus even though they may have gotten $150, there is a net loss to be dealt with. Expecting no doubt to generate lots of new business, IC can likely take the hit. But none the less, they are likely quite surprised that a promotion that was intended to attract a couple of hundred new members, may have snowballed beyond their ability to cope.

So just remember this when you have dealings with the Ambassador program. It is different, and quite honestly, I hope it stays that way...it's part of the charm of the whole thing!

Hey Shareholder....thanks for the note...I had no idea this was their setup...I totally understand their operations now...thanks for filling me in....

Now I just have to find a way to make Royal Ambassador.....any tips on this note?

on a different note...where are you from in TO....I was basically raised in Richmond Hill.....

Thanks again,

Ric
Old Sep 6, 2004, 3:24 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
As an Ambassador, and earlier Six Continents Club member for many years, my experience with the program and the Bristol office totally matches that of Shareholder . They have been nothing but courteous, polite and helpful all the time. Almost in an old-worldly way, quite unlike most of the 'modern' U.S. cookie-cutter hotel programs. Atleast in the past, I have always found them to deal with members as individuals and not as 'card-numbers'.

I take the view that this promotion has backfired on IC.
I agree. The Bristol office are really deluged with these new applications. The other problem they are having is liasing with a supplier in the U.S. (Texas IIRC) who is responsible for the printing and mailing of the new kits etc.

Absolutely ^
Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:13 pm

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
Just to be sure you have the correct email as I am sure it changed, the current one is [email protected] in case you have a different one.

And I have to agree with the other posts there service is top notch from what I have seen so far, treat you with respect each and every time I have spoken to them

Dino
Old Sep 8, 2004, 8:18 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

There are some communication and training problems with both the Ambassador and the Priority Club customer service folks.
It will certainly take a toll to some degree with customers who are used to higher level of service at other programs.Who won't be so patient.
Some of the nice folks in the Philipines or wherever they are based have language problems. And not having a toll free number to Bristol is silly with budget behind the IC hotel Group. But here is the bright side.
The few folks out in Bristol have been outstanding in solving every one of my concerns to date above and beyond.
As slow a process as it was. And in my book action and resolution is always what keeps this customer coming back.
I am highly satisfied with all three responses of Bristol by email.
Even if they lack a little personality.All promised perks were deposited in my account in record time.

For the first time as a result of this recent generous promotion I will start staying in many of their hotels more frequently from IC to the new Indigo brand in Atlanta this October.
PC needs to solve the conditional earnings problem when the rate is discounted if they are ever to get the lions share of my revenue as the other chains do.It is the biggest sticking point they will have to understand is uncalled for with even Priceline giving miles on 30 dollar revenue nights.

So while their aquisition cost was high to bring me in.
They may get just the kind of lifetime value out of this new customer and a lot of my revenue they would never have had.
Provided the hotels perform and the program remains generous.
I predicted that Priority Club a few years back would start to gain some thunder as they started to improve their program and partnerships.
IMO if PC/IHG don't make a lot of mistakes in the coming future I think they are the program that holds the most current future promise in the industry. The Freddies have started to reflect that. I would certainly vote for this promotion alone as promo of the year.
Happy points and miles all.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:17 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I fully agree with the above posts. The service team in Bristol has always been polite, courteous, helpful, efficient, and most of the time, quite prompt in its replies. Even during this peak period, they have solved a problem with the rate I had at the IC Vienna, which, due to the use of a free week-end night voucher, seemed to be below the qualifying treshold. I agree that it hasn't taken two hours, but an exchange of two e-mails in two days. Nevertheless, I am very satisfied with the resolution of the problems and the quality of interaction. As noted above, I have not been treated as a card number but as a human being. Linked to the overall quality of the IC brand, this has led me, as a SPG Plat and a HH Diamond, to shift or add the necessary nights to my travel pattern to join the SCC Executive level and then be invited to RA.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Thumbs up

My only experience with them was very good, too.

We wanted a reservation in Papeete at a time when they were suddenly sold out (online and via phone reservation line, so the best offer was for the waitlist). I called the PC number, and spoke to a very helpful rep who called the hotel direct. After a couple of days and a fax/email exchange, I now have both the room and rate I wanted, and the upgrade to a better room.

Color me a happy customer. Makes me want to stay with them again.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 6:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

1-888-211-7996

This number is on the back of my Ambassador card....I called it yesterday in fact and they answered " Ambassador....." something.....
Old Sep 10, 2004, 11:04 am
RCC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david4455
1-888-211-7996

This number is on the back of my Ambassador card....I called it yesterday in fact and they answered " Ambassador....." something.....
didnt work for me...just IC's hotel reservation line, cant query them on AMB questions....
Old Sep 10, 2004, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The AMBASSADOR customer service number is a local UK number and calling it requires payment of long distance. Office hours are also limited to normal working times. There is also a dedicated res line which is toll free and varies depending upon what part of the world you are calling from. It is just an augmentation of the normal IC reservations. [And there is also the PRIORITY CLUB customer service number(s) which can only deal with PC-related matters and has nothing to do with AMBASSADOR services.]
Old Sep 19, 2004, 7:26 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I do not think that the buy an AMB status has backfired as I have become and now earned by frequent stays my Plat Status in IC/HI in the past year. A year ago I purchased the Six Continents Club status now know as AMB Status which included instant Plat Status. As a result I have redirected alot of my hotel stays to this program.

I have had mixed experiences as a result over the past year. Generally I get terrific service and upgrades at HI properties, mixed service at CPs and quite unimpressive recognition at ICs.

I plan to evaluate my experience at years end. I am also a Plat with SPG where I generally get better recognition than I do with AMB status. I also enjoy Gold with Hilton and have other elite status with other chains.

I will have to choose which program best meets my needs but I remain open minded until December on this question..
Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
For the first time as a result of this recent generous promotion I will start staying in many of their hotels more frequently.
I've already had 3 stays at Crowne Plazas since signing up. (yeah, yeah... I know CP isn't IC, but it's more loyal to them then my Marriott stays were before enrolling in Ambassador...)
Old Oct 2, 2004, 2:55 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
My 25,000 + 5,000 delta sm finally came

like most of you
i signed up for the ambassador promotion in July
in august i received 5k delta miles in my account
the other 20k never came
i called the US ambassador number twice, after the last 20k miles were supposed to be added to my account

on the last call i was told to call the england office
then i got pissed off

i sent an email to the england office last thursday (sept 23) explaining the problem and telling them the next step was to contact my cc company to get my $150 back

yesterday i got a full 25k miles credited to my account

sometimes the squeaky wheel does get a little grease
Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:39 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Am I the only one who wished they hadn't offered such a large incentive/bribe to Delta flyers, so the Ambassador Customer Service could concentrate on it's genuine, existing members? It took 10 days to get an email reply back to me about renewal, normally much quicker than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.