Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG - how evil are you to devalue overnight during the pandemic!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I travelled several times over the past year and stayed in some nice IHG properties before devaluation. You flat missed the boat.
Sorry but this is kind of a rude reply. It's like rubbing in the sad fact of the devaluation and adding salt to the wound because she actually did her part and stayed home instead of traveling and potentially spreading the virus. If you chose to do otherwise that is your prerogative but there are those of us that chose not to do non-essential travel to try and stay healthy and not put others in jeopardy. I'm not trying to turn this into a discussion on the pandemic but IMHO you should have not made such a remark.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Don't think that Marriott is the answer. I made Platinum and can't use my 5 free night suite upgrade awards at all. I have 9 stays booked at hotels-most all are one nights, one is two, one is three and one is four. 6 of the nine said SNAs can't be applied, one when I applied to use SNAs (and Marriott, when you apply, you check off the rooms you would like to use them against-guess what? MOST of them ARE NOT suites!) refused after a day to apply them (they are supposed to wait until 5 days before your stay and then decline), one there was no point applying as the hotel had no suites period at the hotel, and the last I did apply for a suite, but I expect in a day or two, it will reject me.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Sorry but this is kind of a rude reply. It's like rubbing in the sad fact of the devaluation and adding salt to the wound because she actually did her part and stayed home instead of traveling and potentially spreading the virus. If you chose to do otherwise that is your prerogative but there are those of us that chose not to do non-essential travel to try and stay healthy and not put others in jeopardy. I'm not trying to turn this into a discussion on the pandemic but IMHO you should have not made such a remark.
Very well said.
christianj likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by Raffles
I have just done a full analysis of London for publication tomorrow - every hotel on a certain day.

Value runs from 0.21p to 0.65p per point (so you can still get 0.9 cents in places).

Oddly the average value across all 38 hotels is unchanged and is potentially better than it was.

There is no difference between luxury, midscale and budget hotels - when grouped together - in terms of value per point. In each category, the top 1/3rd of hotels offered an average of 0.5p (0.7c) of value.

It isn't devaluation. What it is, I'm not sure.
IMHO it'ss variability... Probably with some chaos if not at least randomness...

​When I first saw this thread, along with the other one, I was ready to jump on the bandwagon of bye IHG! I had just booked a kimpton in miami beach that went from 27500 when I booked now to 70 something. However, after digging into this a bit more I have also concluded that it isn't as bad as initially appeared. Miami is a good example, namely before they started this ( I.E., when point redemptions were fixed ) if I recall the IC downtown was 60k and most of the Kimptons were 50-60+. Now when I look around sure I see some days when yeah the nice Kimpton on the beach is 70+ but I also see days when the I can the nice Kimpton epic in downtown for 40 something! Overall from what I've seen is yes a devaluation on the higher end properties but still some value on the other end. Previously I couldn't get any decent hotel in miami for less than 25-30, now I regularly see decent properties for 25,000 or less. So my take is yes overall a devaluation on the higher end stuff or high demand location properties ( which is probably where IHG pays out the most to owners for redemption ) but I never really used IHG for that as they just don't compete with higher end Marriott properties. IHG has pretty much just became for me what it already was, backup hotel program that overall is just MEH and doesn't really compare to the others like Marriott but I will say the way they did this makes me a bit less excited about considering them
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Even worst, there are rooms priced at 41000 points just above the 40k mark to redeem the free night certificate! A coincidence or what???
mareh and rogo like this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa
IMHO it'ss variability... Probably with some chaos if not at least randomness...

​When I first saw this thread, along with the other one, I was ready to jump on the bandwagon of bye IHG! I had just booked a kimpton in miami beach that went from 27500 when I booked now to 70 something. However, after digging into this a bit more I have also concluded that it isn't as bad as initially appeared. Miami is a good example, namely before they started this ( I.E., when point redemptions were fixed ) if I recall the IC downtown was 60k and most of the Kimptons were 50-60+. Now when I look around sure I see some days when yeah the nice Kimpton on the beach is 70+ but I also see days when the I can the nice Kimpton epic in downtown for 40 something! Overall from what I've seen is yes a devaluation on the higher end properties but still some value on the other end. Previously I couldn't get any decent hotel in miami for less than 25-30, now I regularly see decent properties for 25,000 or less. So my take is yes overall a devaluation on the higher end stuff or high demand location properties ( which is probably where IHG pays out the most to owners for redemption ) but I never really used IHG for that as they just don't compete with higher end Marriott properties. IHG has pretty much just became for me what it already was, backup hotel program that overall is just MEH and doesn't really compare to the others like Marriott but I will say the way they did this makes me a bit less excited about considering them
For folks willing to put in work for planning, monitoring and who have the ability to be somewhat flexible in the dates and hotels, I agree that there can be still decent value.

However, that will be more work in my book than what has been required until now so for "normal" members / users of the program this will be turn off and make IHG Rewards more unattractive (and it is not like it is a program with stellar benefits to start with).

I think IHG vastly underestimated the "turn off" that may be to many current members who rightfully or wrongfully currently feel taken advantage off / cheated, especially as no announcement with some lead time was made as well. YMMV.
drod likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MissVacation
Even worst, there are rooms priced at 41000 points just above the 40k mark to redeem the free night certificate! A coincidence or what???
As I stated in a response in the thread on the dynamic pricing, I would venture a guess and put these points values just above capped credit certificate levels down to the wonky points pricing mechanism. I think it would be counter productive to IHG to do so deliberately and maybe even a tad too sophisticated . YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by christianj
If that is the agenda you follow, sure.

But yes, pts are devalued now, and the boat has been missed. I took advantage before that happened. Sorry.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:01 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by demue
As I stated in a response in the thread on the dynamic pricing, I would venture a guess and put these points values just above capped credit certificate levels down to the wonky points pricing mechanism. I think it would be counter productive to IHG to do so deliberately and maybe even a tad too sophisticated . YMMV.
I tend to agree that the 41k nights are likely down to incompetency. There has been a reversal of sorts today, but IHG have made clear where they are going so I plan to bail now
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
But yes, pts are devalued now, and the boat has been missed. I took advantage before that happened. Sorry.
Was that shrewdness and good judgement on your part...or blind luck ?
christianj likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Good for you and you can kiss goodbye to those good old days
christianj likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Yes. Both IHG and Hilton have nothing left for me. I only have points not enough to book a single night. Now it is worth even less. We still get the old IHG card though with $49 fee. Not sure what to do with that single award night.

Wish there is some way to gift those points, like 18k.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 6:40 am

NO agenda on my part! I can’t influence others behavior and I’m only responsible for my own. I just found the reply rude considering the fact that people’s travel patterns have been severely impacted. If you took advantage and redeemed points that’s great for you.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If the price of milk goes up at the supermarket, would you class that as a devaluation of your money by the bank. Putting prices up is not the same as the devaluation of a currency
Old Apr 10, 2021, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If the price of milk goes up at the supermarket, would you class that as a devaluation of your money by the bank. Putting prices up is not the same as the devaluation of a currency
I get the analogy you are trying to make but in my opinion it doesn’t fly. The “currency” we have (in this case IHG PC points) can only be used at IHG so it indeed is a devaluation of what the currency gets you. If you could use the currency elsewhere and chose not to pay the higher cost I could see your argument. Also in your example there are two separate institutions..... the supermarket and the bank were one issues the currency and one sets a price....here there’s one that issues the currency AND sets the price....IHG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.