Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Maa-Lai Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2023, 4:30 pm

I recently stayed at what is probably one of the best hotels in Bangkok, and I have to say it was one of the most impressive hotel rooms I've ever experienced. I initially booked the "King Premium" room but was upgraded to the stunning King Maa-Lai Suite, which blew me away. The furnishings were exquisite, and every detail was thoughtfully designed, from the finish of the walls and light switches to the high-quality wood used throughout the room. The marble floors in the bathroom and countertops were equally impressive. In terms of value for money, the King Maa-Lai Suite was worlds apart compared to my friend's suite at the St. Regis (free upgrade as Marriott gold member), but the difference in quality and design was stark. As a Platinum Ambassador Elite member, I was also impressed by the shared garden area with the nearby Kempinski. The only downside was that the lobby could get quite crowded during the day due to the cafe, but that was a minor inconvenience compared to the overall excellence of the hotel.
jiunsoh likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: LH-SEN
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
very good buffet with a lot of asian choices (like korean), great bread but lacking in the cheese/ham/... section
The cheese/ham/charcuterie section is on the other end compared to the egg and noodle stations, if you come from the elevator lobby turn left.
Cthunder86 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hotel breakfast is very good. Ive stayed twice and Ive always been upgraded to the suite with the view of kempinski or sindhorn. Both stays were four days.

I wonder if that room is the default upgrade
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: LH-SEN
My recent upgrade was a straightforward Essential to Premium Room (Platinum on Luxury/Lifestyle rate). Although the Premium Room would easily go as a Junior Suite in other hotels in the area...

I also agree that breakfast is one of the best for me, wide spread of food of high quality, sometimes difficult to navigate from the layout. I particularly liked the pastries for some reason, to me comparable to the excellent pastries they had at the St. Regis back in the good old (6 years+ ago) days when they also still had the lobster omelette for breakfast.
Cthunder86 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
How does this property stack up with the SINDHORN KEMPINSKI HOTEL or Siam Kempinski? I only have plat status and would probably book using the IHG program. This one is a little more expensive than the other two for when I want to book, but then if I factor in the $100 credit and breakfast it comes out lower.
Old May 29, 2023, 11:18 am

Completed a stay here and enjoyed it. First the downside. If you want to do a lot out in the city it is a bit of a hike to the skyline, which won't be pleasant in the rain or extreme heat. There is a shuttle every 30 minutes that runs to the metro station but those shuttles can book fully up. That was the only real drawback. Was upgraded as plat and had a decent room. The bathroom was huge. Bed very comfortable. The view wasn't much to look at but it was ok. I walked over to the Sidhorn to do the afternoon tea. The breakfast setup at this property was extensive with all sorts of cuisines. Food was decent. Staff was good. Didn't go swimming but the pool looked nice. The gym was nice. Wish I had more time at this property. Was an excellent use of points and the property has nice amenities.
SkyLich likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Completed a stay here and enjoyed it. First the downside. If you want to do a lot out in the city it is a bit of a hike to the skyline, which won't be pleasant in the rain or extreme heat. There is a shuttle every 30 minutes that runs to the metro station but those shuttles can book fully up. That was the only real drawback. Was upgraded as plat and had a decent room. The bathroom was huge. Bed very comfortable. The view wasn't much to look at but it was ok. I walked over to the Sidhorn to do the afternoon tea. The breakfast setup at this property was extensive with all sorts of cuisines. Food was decent. Staff was good. Didn't go swimming but the pool looked nice. The gym was nice. Wish I had more time at this property. Was an excellent use of points and the property has nice amenities.
were you upgraded from essential to a premium?
Old May 29, 2023, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by bhyx
were you upgraded from essential to a premium?
Yes basically just a bump-up to the premium not a suite.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
How much was breakfast? I am a lowly platinum so I'm debating if I want to have breakfast here or venture out.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by happychic
How much was breakfast? I am a lowly platinum so I'm debating if I want to have breakfast here or venture out.
Not sure the price, but the breakfast, without a doubt, is one of the best. You have to go for the breakfast.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by icycool
Not sure the price, but the breakfast, without a doubt, is one of the best. You have to go for the breakfast.
Will do! First time in Thailand. Any other place near the hotel you'd recommend?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:08 pm

Breakfast is great.
Barista coffee, cold brew, Thai milk tea, ala carte egg dishes, Thai cuisine, japanese cuisine

Check with the hotel for f&b discount for plat.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by bhyx
Breakfast is great.
Barista coffee, cold brew, Thai milk tea, ala carte egg dishes, Thai cuisine, japanese cuisine

Check with the hotel for f&b discount for plat.
Sounds great. Thank you.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Will do! First time in Thailand. Any other place near the hotel you'd recommend?
Sindhirn village shopping mall is right there. Some nice restaurants and bars along with a couple of hotels that you could eat in. Its an easy a 10-12 min walk to the bts and Central Embassy. Lumpini park entrance is about the same. Dream house Thai massage and spa is nice if you want to look outside for some relaxation.

Dont forget the secret passcode!
Old Aug 4, 2023, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Remember that you can rent bikes for free at reception.

Bangkok Art and Culture Centre is a museum based on the circular principle of the Guggenheim Museum in NYC, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Exhibitions are generally of a good standard.
10 minutes by bike from the hotel.

Noble PLAY: a large contemporary art gallery with a friendly caf.
30 minutes walk from the hotel.

Nova Contemporary, a very good contemporary art gallery.
20 minutes walk.

theCOMMONS Saladaeng: a remarkable social club with contemporary architecture based on Thai principles. Restaurants, bar.
30 minutes' walk

Surprisingly less well known than Lumpini, Benchakitti Forest Park offers a pleasant walk in the middle of nature and a skyline facing the lake.
30 minutes walk

Opposite the friendly Smokey Cat Coffee Roaster, a remarkable little garden with a welcome serenity.

Close to Soi Pluk chit 1, a market open to the street: the lively and popular Bangkok.

Eat Me Restaurant, a very good fusion restaurant in a leafy building.

Casa Lapin Specialty Coffee x Siri Sathorn (Saladaeng): the local Starbuck's, but with elegance. Makes a big difference.

The Standard Bangkok: beautiful design, restaurant with a view

The Spotted Pig: cool, casual Mexican restaurant.
Cthunder86 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.