Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2023, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Taxes and Fees and Award Stays

Ambassador Free night
As the certifiace only covers the second of a two night booking, you need to pay all taxes and fee for the first night. Usually not for the first night, but it depends on how the hotel charged the certifiace. Some divied the amount by two night and let you pay for two nights though the reduced amount. In this case you quite often have to pay taxes and fee for both days but on a lower amount. Except for amenity fee and resort fee there would not be a large difference as the taxes are a percentage of the amount. City taxes have to be paid usually on free nights.

Amenity Fee
Charged by the hotel and icludes certain things. It is not a tax in the legal use of the term but made by the hotel to cover for certain things by lowering the room rate. You could not avoid paying it if booking the room in most hotels. Some hotels charge it on award stay, some do not. You have to confirm with each hotel.

Cash and Points Stay
You are actually buying with the cast an point amount (see this post), therefore a cash + points stay is considered a point stay. Not taxes on the cash part of the room rate should apply, but city taxes and amenity fee could apply.

City and Local Taxes
Some cities / countries have local tourist taxes (e.g. France), which are added (see this post). In some German Cities (Frankfurt, Berlin) they are added for touristic trips. Those usually are even charged on award stays.

Resort Fee
Charged by the hotel and icludes certain things and amenities. It is not a tax in the legal use of the term but made by the hotel to cover for certain things by lowering the room rate. You could not avoid paying it if booking the room in most hotels. Some hotels charge it on award stay, some do not. You have to confirm with each hotel. In general those are more often also charged on award stays or free nights
Print Wikipost

Taxes & Amenity Fees on Award Stays - FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2023, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by zerem
I got charged amenity fee at an award stay at the IC Times Square in July at checkout, but when I objected it was simply removed...
Thanks. There just seem to be a couple of properties in Manhattan that are not charging this fee. For some its as high as $50.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 7:28 am

[dele]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 6, 2024 at 9:09 am
Old Jan 14, 2024, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by beltway
It’s more than a couple. I’ve begun a new thread collecting details: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...n-edition.html
Good to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.