Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amenities vs Points: What am I giving up?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Croptop
This has been an interesting discussion and I thank you all for your responses to my question. As I am not a drinker it seems that, for me at least, the better option is to take the points since any drink voucher would go unused.
The drinks vouchers can be used for soft drinks and at most hotel bars even a large diet coke would be worth more than the £2.40 points value which you will probably get anyway
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
There's a HI that I go to somewhat often that gives you 2 coupons for ANY beer. This includes Guinness at ~$7/pint. I'll take that every time.
Otherwise, usually just take the 500 points. I don't care about a free snack or 1 drink, especially if travelling for business. If there is something besides points or drink/snack, it would depend on the specific situation.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Usually take the free drink and be cheeky to ask for two. Spire welcome drink is usually a decent spirit or cocktail.

Find if if I take the points they’ve posted before I check out
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:35 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The drinks vouchers can be used for soft drinks and at most hotel bars even a large diet coke would be worth more than the £2.40 points value which you will probably get anyway
Again, you are assuming that everyone wants to pay £2.40 for a diet Coke and sit at the bar.

I can make tea or fill a cup of water in my room while getting on with other tasks, so why would I waste time getting a drink I don't want?

600 points are worth £1.50 to me, which is still more expensive than buying a drink on the way to the hotel if I really wanted to.

Some hotels have not offered points and only have drink vouchers. Supposedly one could argue to insist on points but I can't be bothered. In this case I might ask for a beer to bring to the room, which is usually granted but if it is not permitted I just leave it. I would never buy a beer at a hotel bar (unless I am going there for the purpose of drinking with friends), so am not losing on any value.

The points have posted immediately after check in, or even before check in

Last edited by :D!; Jul 2, 2019 at 4:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.