Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spire Elite Status + Executive Lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
I was also RA for several years. In the end I switched out of ICs to SPG due the lack of recognition on award stays and the lack of certainty about everything, whether it's lounge access, qualification, often poor upgrades, etc. I can see they are still the same as when I left. I still do a lot of nights at IHG, always been Spire, etc. The reason is value and availability. HI, HIX are just everywhere, particularly in the US but also in China, etc. Of course they are not luxurious properties. But they are incredibly consistent, they are good value, including cashbacks and points, and everything just works fast and easy. After many years of travelling, I am no longer after the thrill of the luxurious experience, just convenience and consistency. I also use Marriott where I manage to qualify for Plat. I tend to use Marriott whenever I can over IHG, particularly if I can get a decent legacy Starwood property, and yes, a decent lounge has its attractiveness as it saves the hassle of going out to eat after a long day. I am thinking of switching to Hilton where I have been diamonds for a few years. On balance I think the two are pretty similar; not sure one has a real edge on the other, even with the terrible Starwood acquisition. All things considered I value a lot the no black out dates from Bonvoy; so I guess I'll stay put.

Last edited by wobbly wings; Aug 31, 2019 at 5:11 am
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:26 am

Crowne Plaza Newcastle upon Tyne. I heard from a good source that they no longer offer Spire members lounge access unless a club room is booked. I did receive a room upgrade, welcome points and two drinks vouchers, but if you want lounge access I think that the message is "pay for it". It's a shame as I've been granted lounge access here may times even when not paying for it.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by cumbrianbill
Crowne Plaza Newcastle upon Tyne. I heard from a good source that they no longer offer Spire members lounge access unless a club room is booked. I did receive a room upgrade, welcome points and two drinks vouchers, but if you want lounge access I think that the message is "pay for it". It's a shame as I've been granted lounge access here may times even when not paying for it.
My experience as a Spire here has been that lounge access has always been refused unless upgraded to a club room. However we’re rapidly finding out via this thread that IHG is so inconsistent that the Spire lounge access policy actually varies by the FD agent and the day. My experiences are not shared by others...

Over the last 12 months I’ve experienced the following:

Lounge access provided to all Spires: Birmingham City
Lounge access is amenity choice: Liverpool Speke, Solihull
Lounge access only if upgraded to club room: Nottingham, Newcastle
No free lounge access to Spire at all: Stratford Upon Avon

milesforhire likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob

My experience as a Spire here has been that lounge access has always been refused unless upgraded to a club room. However we’re rapidly finding out via this thread that IHG is so inconsistent that the Spire lounge access policy actually varies by the FD agent and the day. My experiences are not shared by others...

Over the last 12 months I’ve experienced the following:

Lounge access is amenity choice: Liverpool Speke, Solihull
Lounge access only if upgraded to club room: Nottingham, Newcastle
No free lounge access to Spire at all: Stratford Upon Avon

I believe it's still the case that IHG Towers decrees club access NOT to be a Spire benefit. I know some hotels see a benefit in toeing that line, and they are anxious that others do so not upset things by behaving more generously. So perhaps pressure is being put on generous properties to conform, for the common good
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: Some
As per my post in the relevant property thread, lounge access not given at the Crowne Plaza Heathrow Terminal 4 despite an upgrade to a Club Room.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
As per my post in the relevant property thread, lounge access not given at the Crowne Plaza Heathrow Terminal 4 despite an upgrade to a Club Room.
Whereas the CP LHR offers lounge as a choice benefit and thus it makes sense to stay there
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Whereas the CP LHR offers lounge as a choice benefit and thus it makes sense to stay there
If you care about lounge access to the exclusion of all other factors then sure, the T4 Crowne Plaza is a great quality hotel otherwise, though.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
If you care about lounge access to the exclusion of all other factors then sure, the T4 Crowne Plaza is a great quality hotel otherwise, though.
My personal take is that it is a reasonable expectation to have lounge access. If it isn't given no matter what else works I boycott the property because it is frankly insulting. O have noted that a number of properties that started messing spires about with lounge access subsequently changed their policies. I think of you care about something you put your money where your mouth is. If I want a great room and lounge access I stay at the Sheraton Skyline or Hilton T5.

I would say though that apart from needing a light refurb the CP LHR is a pretty decent property with well sizes and equipped rooms
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
LOL, well I started a similar post after staying at Kimpton regarding how much IHG Spire blows. Looks like the same defenders of the program are out in force. Might as well become an official lurker for the program.

Too many "Usually, Mostly, Most of the time" with IHG program. Currently liquidating all of my points with IHG at California costal properties. 40-50K for HIX is a complete joke.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:21 pm
Suspended

@seat38a: What does Kimpton have to do with this thread? This thread should be all about CP. It's the only brand with exex lounges except for IC. (And IC is of little interest here as the program rules out lounge access as a benefit except for RAs.)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by speed.skater
@seat38a: What does Kimpton have to do with this thread? This thread should be all about CP. It's the only brand with exex lounges except for IC. (And IC is of little interest here as the program rules out lounge access as a benefit except for RAs.)
Whats not clear to you? In simple terms, I said the IHG program sucks and used Kimpton to reference another post I made regarding the lack of benefit and and consistency of Spire Elite. Did you read the whole thread? Do you not see the pattern of lack of defined benefits or consistency related to lounge access, being the overall theme? Why I said "Usually, Mostly, Most of the time"??

Last edited by seat38a; Sep 5, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb

I am quoting actual experience from the CPs stated, not emails or opinions. Nottingham twice, late last year and early this year, Solihull was 3 visits, all this year, last one was June...
I too report from experiences, and the CP Nottingham most definitely gives lounge access as Spire amenity and has been doing so for several years. I've been staying there too many times to count and never had any issue and in addition in all but 2 or 3 stays when the hotel was fully booked i got upgraded to a Club Room (and thus points or drink as the amenity as unlike some other CPs an upgrade to a Club Room naturally includes lounge access). To be fair, the lounge is nothing special but quite ok for a few drinks and a quick breakfast.

Glad to hear that the CP Solihull seems to have changed their policy. In general, for stays where i deem lounge access important i email them first and then book depending on their answer.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
For the CP Birmingham lounge access is actually also not automatic but an amenity choice. At the same time it's their policy to upgrade Spires to a club room if available (with lounge access, and then you have points or voucher as amenity).
Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Well a9504477 I think what we are reporting here just about epitomises how Spire works, or doesn’t.

In my several stays over the last couple of years at Nottingham CP I have been given lounge access subject to room upgrade. For you it’s been an amenity choice!

In my many, many stays over the last decade at Birmingham CP lounge access has always been granted to me as top tier (Plat up to the launch of Spire and as Spire thereafter) even if there’s been no space on the Exec floors. It’s never been an amenity choice for me, not once in dozens of stays. For you it’s been an amenity choice!

If the hotels don’t know what Spire benefits are then we’re at a severe disadvantage!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got Hilton Diamond and the last property I stayed at, zero acknowledgement. Haven't bothered with Hilton since.
Do tend to find them overpriced and their locations aren't as good as a lot of IHG properties.

Crowne Plaza wise, don't really see the point in paying what could be double the price of a HIX. Spend a bit of time in the Manchester area and quite often there's a £50-£100 price difference + £10-£20 a night to park there. If someone else is paying, fine, but if out of my own pocket, I want value for money.

Did get acknowledged and upgraded from the cheapest room to a junior suite in Helsinki recently. On the club floor, so lounge access.
Last stay at a Holiday Inn, Spire was mentioned but zero benefits beyond welcome points.
Before that, upgraded in Manchester at one of the CPs (with the Staybridge above). Card wouldn't work for the gym or lounge and couldn't be bothered traipsing up and down to chase it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.