FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   New Accelerate Promotion (May 01, 2019 - August 31, 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1967442-new-accelerate-promotion-may-01-2019-august-31-2019-a.html)

joe_miami Aug 12, 2019 11:23 pm

No firsthand experience but it seems likely the points will be deducted. There would be no point to such tasks if people could just book and then cancel.

minz56 Aug 13, 2019 12:10 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31410013)
No firsthand experience but it seems likely the points will be deducted. There would be no point to such tasks if people could just book and then cancel.

I made a Cash + Points booking in June and cancelled it a few days later after the 5,000 points points had posted to my account. To date the points have not been reversed, though the promotion still has a couple of weeks to run so it could still happen.

There was a lot of discussion about this further up-thread.

joe_miami Aug 13, 2019 12:31 am

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 31410093)
I made a Cash + Points booking in June and cancelled it a few days later after the 5,000 points points had posted to my account. To date the points have not been reversed, though the promotion still has a couple of weeks to run so it could still happen.

There was a lot of discussion about this further up-thread.

Interesting. These Accelerate promos have been around for so long that it's hard to believe glitches like that would still exist.

adobbing Aug 13, 2019 1:11 am

From what I recall, when you make a points and cash booking, the cash element buys points.
If you cancel the booking, you don’t get your cash back, but you do get the points back, both the original points redeemed and the ones the cash bought.

Does the booking immediately trigger the accelerate bonus, or do you need to wait for the reservation to take place?

Presumably their system isn’t smart enough to reverse any accelerate bonus points issued?

minz56 Aug 13, 2019 5:42 am

Originally Posted by adobbing (Post 31410198)
From what I recall, when you make a points and cash booking, the cash element buys points.
If you cancel the booking, you don’t get your cash back, but you do get the points back, both the original points redeemed and the ones the cash bought.

Does the booking immediately trigger the accelerate bonus, or do you need to wait for the reservation to take place?

Presumably their system isn’t smart enough to reverse any accelerate bonus points issued?

The points posted almost as soon as the booking was made. I cancelled the booking a few days later so never actually stayed at the hotel.

Yes, you have to buy some points, but the trick was to find a property where the cost was low. I found one in London. Overall I got points at a great price ... assuming the bonus points are not reversed.

adobbing Aug 13, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by minz56 (Post 31410725)
The points posted almost as soon as the booking was made. I cancelled the booking a few days later so never actually stayed at the hotel.

Yes, you have to buy some points, but the trick was to find a property where the cost was low. I found one in London. Overall I got points at a great price ... assuming the bonus points are not reversed.

So the key would be finding a property and date with the lowest cash part of a points and cash rate.
lowest I can see is about £25 + 10,000 points, anybody know any lower?

serpens Aug 13, 2019 8:20 am

Originally Posted by adobbing (Post 31410795)
lowest I can see is about £25 + 10,000 points, anybody know any lower?

The significant information would be how many points the £25 buys, not how many points you need to add to them. For example, if the hotel wants 30,000 points per night, then the £25 is buying 20,000 points, which (if I did the math correctly) is a good deal; if the hotel wants 15,000 points per night, then the £25 is buying 5,000 points, which is not as good a deal (but not awful, again if I did the math correctly).

adobbing Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 31411210)
The significant information would be how many points the £25 buys, not how many points you need to add to them. For example, if the hotel wants 30,000 points per night, then the £25 is buying 20,000 points, which (if I did the math correctly) is a good deal; if the hotel wants 15,000 points per night, then the £25 is buying 5,000 points, which is not as good a deal (but not awful, again if I did the math correctly).

Good point, I’ll review my search!

kitbag1984 Aug 13, 2019 11:36 pm

The accelerate points posted the day after making the booking. I could actually check in if needed. But not sure on the value of doing that.

Unfortunatley my £50 will only buy me 10000 points and 4000 for accelerate.

kitbag1984 Aug 14, 2019 12:08 am

Actually. Looking at the my account section. It looks like ihg has purchased the 10k required for stay as well as the 4000 for the accelerate bonus. Therefore I think they would struggle to separate out the two.

hclee01 Aug 14, 2019 8:28 am

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e8c61ee17d.png
My tasks have all been completed. However, the achievement bonus is still showing 75% only. Is it because i have yet to make a stay at the hotel under the "Points and Cash" task? Does anyone has this similar problem as mine? Thanks for sharing.

MikeFromTokyo Aug 15, 2019 9:15 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31402146)
I need to do this, too, and ran into this problem when I needed consecutive nights at the same hotel on a Friday and Saturday but a glitch in the app wouldn't allow me to book it that way. The stay has not registered within Accelerate as a qualifying stay. I imagine customer service will fix/override it if necessary, especially if the same rate is paid both nights (as was the case for me), but I can't say for sure.

Regarding the weekend stay, i.e. Saturday +Friday/Sunday “task,” does this usually show as completed upon the stay’s posting to one’s account? I have received points for a qualifying stay, however the weekend stay requirement has not updated. Does the system “sweep” for these periodically, or if it hasn’t already posted along with my stay, should I call in to have this fixed?

shahr04360 Aug 15, 2019 9:38 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 31419161)
Regarding the weekend stay, i.e. Saturday +Friday/Sunday “task,” does this usually show as completed upon the stay’s posting to one’s account? I have received points for a qualifying stay, however the weekend stay requirement has not updated. Does the system “sweep” for these periodically, or if it hasn’t already posted along with my stay, should I call in to have this fixed?

If the task has been complete as per terms accordingly, you’ll received the bonus pts immediately with the stay’s posting. I’m presumed either the booking made before you register accelerate promo or you made separate booking for your weekend stay or something else. These tasks seem can only read simple logic. No harm to contact CS seek explanation and most probably they will reply it will take another 2-3weeks to get posted. Good luck!

jotxl Aug 17, 2019 3:51 am

Originally Posted by hclee01 (Post 31415191)
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e8c61ee17d.png
My tasks have all been completed. However, the achievement bonus is still showing 75% only. Is it because i have yet to make a stay at the hotel under the "Points and Cash" task? Does anyone has this similar problem as mine? Thanks for sharing.

i have the same problem, my cash&points stay will be in december, the bonuspoints for this task are already credited, but not the additional points for all tasks.
It seems to be, that the task only completed after your stay.

UKDegsy Aug 17, 2019 4:01 am

Originally Posted by jotxl (Post 31425747)
i have the same problem, my cash&points stay will be in december, the bonuspoints for this task are already credited, but not the additional points for all tasks.
It seems to be, that the task only completed after your stay.

Seems a big risk on losing out on close to 50K achievement bonus points. I didn't have that task, but presumably for it to be a qualifying stay you had to actually stay. When you challenge IHG customer services they can be very inflexible on T & Cs even if you know you are right.

Hope it works out for you.

UKD