Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG hotels lost my loyalty

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I respect your opinion @1flyer about aiming for best practice on password management, but you managed to scare off a FT member who had just had points expire and CLEARLY isn't going to run a manual Excel spreadsheet because she has better things to do with her time. And you seem to hold AW to a much much higher standard than virtually every single airline and hotel chain frequent flyer programme, which receive brute force attacks almost daily I'd imagine.

There is best practice, and there is good-enough, especially for people who don't want to obsess about their miles balances. A really strong password for AW is good enough for almost everybody. Most people are far more likely to be hacked by using their phone or computer on airport or hotel wifi.

It also gets boring to read about made-up conflicts of interest. AW don't pay bloggers - at best they let us hand out upgrade vouchers once in awhile. I'm sure @Raffles would say this himself, but we rarely, if ever, recommend something we don't use ourselves. So feel free to opine that we're naive about password management, but conflict of interest is simply incorrect.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by craigthemif
AW don't pay bloggers - at best they let us hand out upgrade vouchers once in awhile.
And that drives traffic to the blog which increases your revenue from ads and referrals. And we all know AW would stop giving you dozens of upgrade vouchers at a time if you wrote that they suck. I call that a conflict of interest.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1flyer
I'm not a big fan of people making up statistics to drive home a point but I'll bite.

First off, Raffles, you run advertorials for AwardWallet on your blog. So you have a conflict of interest. As such, I read your post on the topic with a good amount of skepticism and I find it particularly worrying your "argument" is based on statistics you've all made up.

I don't consider that a thread, either.

There are other services well-suited to that task. Importantly, they don't need your password, just your email address (or user name).

I think the important issue is if AW gets hacked, you can expect little sympathy from the airlines/hotel programs that have been compromised as a consequence. For a number of reasons, I expect program administrators to be more sympathetic if multiple of their accounts have been hacked directly.
I actually agree with you. I think Flyertalk should have some sort of mechanism here to stop bloggers giving favourable arguments to a particular vendor if the blogger has commercial interest with that particular vendor.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
At least with Award Wallet one can enable 2FA and in addition to the password require a code to be entered every time the account is accessed. I wish IHG and other airline or hotel FFPs were even close to that. YMMV, for me the benefits of AW easily outweigh potential concerns.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:16 pm

I just had a similar issue as OP. Somebody directed to me to this forum which had some links on the subject. I appreciated the link.

The flip side of this is many people may diligently support a vendor, and then have their points taken away by the vendor's internal rules. Sure, the rules are available, and "should" be known. But people are people, and "stuff" happens. The fact that they had no activity in 12 months does not take away from the customer history and prior loyalty.

As to other hotel chains, a similar thing happened to me at Marriot about a year ago, and they restored the points no questions asked.

Yes, the fact that the points expire is my fault. There are reasons that contributed to it, but it is what it is. The question is now how will the company respond to its customers. What is more important, its internal rules or customer service? Assuming it isn't resolved, I will avoid IHG at all costs going forward, which is bad business for them, as I surely will be traveling in the future and would have used them again.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: Kris Flyer, Airpoints, TrueBlue, QF, SPGGold, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire
I too am fast losing any loyalty to IHG over the events of the last week. Spent seven nights in Fiji recently. At the time of booking the app showed estimated points for the stay being approximately 31000. This is without any food and beverage spending. When I get back home my statement shows 26541 points earned.

Secondly, had to spend a night in Sydney on the way back. Booked Intercontinental Sydney on a non refundable rate. The app allowed me to buy extra 1000 points for AUD5, 2000 points for AUD10 and 4000 points for AUD15. Took the option to buy extra 4000 points. The confirmation email shows estimated points for that stay as being 9167 points. For this trip, my statement shows ZERO points earned. They have charged me for the extra 4000 points and given me zero points for the whole stay.

Normally when this type of thing happens, I jump on Twitter @IHG Service and get it sorted out. There is normally a lady called Pam who is very helpful. This time around I have been dealing with other staff (please come back Pam). Explained the situation to them and they have not been any help at all. For the Sydney stay, they have said that the app was wrong. Nothing further.

So far this year I have spent 26 nights at IHG properties and have a further 30 nights booked from now to the end of February. This experience is making me consider cancelling the upcoming nights and spending them at Hilton or Marriott properties.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:41 pm

If your points are short, check the currency conversion.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Kris Flyer, Airpoints, TrueBlue, QF, SPGGold, Hilton Diamond,IHG Spire
Thanks. The FJD has not devalued by over 12% in the time between booking and payment. Also no F&B spending taken into account.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Fitzherbert Carruthers
Thanks. The FJD has not devalued by over 12% in the time between booking and payment. Also no F&B spending taken into account.
I’ve no idea if there is VAT or an equivalent in Fiji but at 12% it sounds like some sort of tax or VAT has been deducted twice. Is there a breakdown showing on your account? If you still have the folio you may be able to work that one back from there - the hotel can fix this as well as IHG. Here in the U.K. that’s a fairly common error.

Re the Sydney one if twitter aren’t playing ball it’s probably easier to file a missing points. That sounds like the hotel have adjusted something on error though and it’s upset the coding to IHG for the stay to post.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
This experience is making me consider cancelling the upcoming nights and spending them at Hilton or Marriott properties.
I hear Marriott's loyalty program is running super-smoothly as of right now
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
And you seem to hold AW to a much much higher standard than virtually every single airline and hotel chain frequent flyer programme, which receive brute force attacks almost daily I'd imagine.
...and quite rightly so, I would have thought. If one of your frequent flyer/stayer account is compromised, then (1) it is just that account which is compromised so that the damage is not widespread and (2) one can reasonably expect the airline or hotel chain concerned to make good the damage caused.
The problem if your AW is compromised is that (1) all your FFP/FSP programmes will be compromised, leading to potentially much more widespread damage and (2) I am very far from sure that AW would willingly agree to compensate you for the damage caused should the proverbial hit the fan and I can't see the airline or hotel chains doing so either when the security hole is exterior to them.

Not that it means that AW should not be used but it is right that higher standards of security should be used with a service aggregating access to multiple accounts.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Have you submitted a missing points request, which you'll find when you login to your account?

I'd reconsider switching to Marriott if you've got an issue with tracking down missing points. Marriott are currently absolutely dreadful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.