Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not getting 5x Points on Credit Card Spend at IHG

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Not getting 5x Points on Credit Card Spend at IHG

I just did some reviews of my account activity and found that I have been credited about 3,000 points for credit card spend despite spending $6,000 dollars at IHG hotels since October. October is the last time it appears I got the correct credit for stays done 6-8 weeks earlier. I shot a note to support but am not expecting much of anything. Anyone have any experience with issues of not being credited for spend?

Edit: I just did more math. I have been credited a total of 8,000 points for spend on the credit card since October. 3,000 at the 5x rate and 5,000 and a one point per dollar rate. I have spent over $6,000 at IHG on this card since then a a couple thousand more on random things.

Last edited by jbone9877; May 5, 2018 at 11:53 am
Old May 5, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I prepaid a stay at a European crowne plaza, was only credited one point per dollar vs. 5. Called ihg, said chase needed to investigate, long story short, they credited the correct amount but took one billing cycle.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ARR72
I prepaid a stay at a European crowne plaza, was only credited one point per dollar vs. 5. Called ihg, said chase needed to investigate, long story short, they credited the correct amount but took one billing cycle.
It appears that is probably what is happening for some of them at least. IHG already blew me off and said to talk to Chase. Did you have to call Chase directly or did IHG take care of it?
Old May 5, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Platinum; IHG Diamond Ambassador
I spoke with Chase directly. They said they had to get a “marketing case manager”to look into it. A couple of days later I received a letter in the mail saying they’d open a case and that they would contact me if they needed any more information. I’d say within a couple of weeks, received a second letter saying case was resolved and the correct amount of points would be posted. Points appeared in my account some time later.
Old May 5, 2018, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ARR72
I spoke with Chase directly. They said they had to get a “marketing case manager”to look into it. A couple of days later I received a letter in the mail saying they’d open a case and that they would contact me if they needed any more information. I’d say within a couple of weeks, received a second letter saying case was resolved and the correct amount of points would be posted. Points appeared in my account some time later.
Thank you! I have a guy on Twitter currently at least trying to look into it. He doesn't really understand what is going on so I am not too hopeful. Currently overseas with spotty phone coverage so will call when I am back in the US if he can't figure it out
Old May 6, 2018, 1:51 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
In the UK when the IHG card was run by barclaycard, they used to give me the correct points plus Ł20 compensation every time a hotel wasn't correctly coded as being part of IHG. Although the earning rate was only 4 points per Ł, a lot less generous than 5 points per US$.
Old May 6, 2018, 4:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

If you're taking about the Chase IHG card, just send them a secure message. I previously had a stay at IC Singapore that gave only 1x points, a quick SM to Chase online and they adjusted it to 5x.
Old May 6, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I too have noticed errors lately. Making me wonder now just how much I've missed in the past . A few months ago I contacted IHG and they took care of it. Last week when I contacted IHG they blew me off as well--told me only Chase can fix. So I did the same as thealphalion, sent a secure message to Chase through the online credit card site. They respond very quickly, as in an hour or so. Except it took me 3 times of replying to their messages to get them to understand/accept that Venetian/Palazzo is an IHG property. Rep said the prepaid stays plus spend was "coded wrong".
Old May 11, 2018, 7:39 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Steph58
So I did the same as thealphalion, sent a secure message to Chase through the online credit card site. They respond very quickly, as in an hour or so. Except it took me 3 times of replying to their messages to get them to understand/accept that Venetian/Palazzo is an IHG property. Rep said the prepaid stays plus spend was "coded wrong".
The same thing just happened to me as well for a charge at the Palazzo, but thankfully it only took one attempt through secure message to get it corrected.

My suggestion is that we have to be very specific when sending in the requests:
- Point to the T&Cs for the card (in my case, I copied the line regarding earning 10 points for every $1 spent at Intercontinental Hotel Group properties, including Intercontinental Alliance Resorts)
- Reference the charge (date, merchant and amount) that did not earn the proper points
- Demonstrate that the charge was from a covered merchant for the bonus point category, perhaps including a link to the property's web page for properties that are not explicitly part of an IHG chain in their name-- this may be particularly important for Kimptons (in my case, I specified that the Palazzo Las Vegas is an Intercontinental Alliance Resorts property, and pasted a link to the Intercontinental Alliance Resorts page that features the Venetian and the Palazzo).
Old May 17, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Don't call IHG -- has nothing to do with them.
Don't call Chase -- it will take forever.

Simply log into chase.com, and click on the "hamburger menu" (3 parallel lines) icon in the top-left and select "Secure Messages" -- select "Compose Message"
Select "Rewards Inquiry" next to "Credit Cards and Products" and which credit card, and "Other Rewards Inquiry."
Note can be quick and to the point:
Reference the date and the name of the hotel, and that this hotel is apparently not coded as an InterContinental Hotels Group hotel, and please correct this.
If the name of the hotel doesn't have the word "INTERCONTINENTAL" or "CROWNE PLAZA" or "HOLIDAY INN," etc., make it easier for them to do their research and provide a link to the hotel on the IHG website (especially Kimpton Hotel or hotel that's listed by its name without an obvious identifier).
For example:
Writing about the charge posted on May 11 for the YOKOHAMA GRAND INTERCO for $979.
The Yokohama Grand InterContinental Hotel is a member of the InterContinental Hotels Group (https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...ha/hoteldetail) but I received only 1 point per dollar charged instead of 10 points.
Please investigate and correct, so I get my missing 9*979, or $8811 points.
Thank you very much indeed!
That's all.

Within an hour you'll get an automatic acknowledgement "We received your message."
Within about 24 hours or so you'll get a note such as:
Hello XXXX,
I understand your concern about the reward points and will
be happy to review your account.

We researched the purchase you made at EVEN ROCKVILLE for
$489.46 on April 8, 2018. IHG® confirmed that the
transaction is a qualifying purchase made at a
participating InterContinental Hotels Group location so
you'll earn 5 points for each $1 spent.

XXXX, we added the 1,958 points to your account. You
will see this adjustment on your next credit card
statement. Please allow up to 30 days after the statement
closing date for the points to post to your IHG® Rewards
Club account. For information about the points you've
earned or how to redeem them, please sign in to your IHG
Rewards Club account at ihgrewardsclub.com or call
1-800-421-5162.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a
Chase customer.

Thank you,

XXXX
Chase Email Servicing
1-800-436-7927
Easy-peasy.
I do this about once a month; I'd say 95% are coded correctly, but as there are constantly new hotels opening, and the management of existing hotels changes, or they change credit card merchants (reasonably common, especially of late when the IC hotels have been changing to a new guest registation system), 5% are not. So for example, the IC Yokohama must have changed merchants because suddenly I'm not getting the 10x points (previously 5x on my old card).

I have never had problems with hotel stays; Chase has always come through
My only unsatisfied hassle has been with hotel restaurants that are independently owned and have their own credit card system. Ditto parking garages. Sometimes these will not credit, since the restaurant or the parking lot isn't owned by the hotel. Solution: Always put the meals (and anything else you can) on the hotel bill. Ditto ParThat way you are sure to get the 10x hotel points on Chase, and depending on the kind of charge, you may also get regular IHG rewards points. I put everything possible on the hotel bill, for example the limousine bus tickets from a Japanese hotel -- at least you get 10x Chase points since it's on your room bill.
happychic likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Don't call IHG -- has nothing to do with them.
Don't call Chase -- it will take forever.

Simply log into chase.com, and click on the "hamburger menu" (3 parallel lines) icon in the top-left and select "Secure Messages" -- select "Compose Message"
Select "Rewards Inquiry" next to "Credit Cards and Products" and which credit card, and "Other Rewards Inquiry."
Note can be quick and to the point:
Reference the date and the name of the hotel, and that this hotel is apparently not coded as an InterContinental Hotels Group hotel, and please correct this.
If the name of the hotel doesn't have the word "INTERCONTINENTAL" or "CROWNE PLAZA" or "HOLIDAY INN," etc., make it easier for them to do their research and provide a link to the hotel on the IHG website (especially Kimpton Hotel or hotel that's listed by its name without an obvious identifier).
For example:

That's all.

Within an hour you'll get an automatic acknowledgement "We received your message."
Within about 24 hours or so you'll get a note such as:

Easy-peasy.
I do this about once a month; I'd say 95% are coded correctly, but as there are constantly new hotels opening, and the management of existing hotels changes, or they change credit card merchants (reasonably common, especially of late when the IC hotels have been changing to a new guest registation system), 5% are not. So for example, the IC Yokohama must have changed merchants because suddenly I'm not getting the 10x points (previously 5x on my old card).

I have never had problems with hotel stays; Chase has always come through
My only unsatisfied hassle has been with hotel restaurants that are independently owned and have their own credit card system. Ditto parking garages. Sometimes these will not credit, since the restaurant or the parking lot isn't owned by the hotel. Solution: Always put the meals (and anything else you can) on the hotel bill. Ditto ParThat way you are sure to get the 10x hotel points on Chase, and depending on the kind of charge, you may also get regular IHG rewards points. I put everything possible on the hotel bill, for example the limousine bus tickets from a Japanese hotel -- at least you get 10x Chase points since it's on your room bill.
I just used this methodology and within about 20 minutes, I received the message you referenced above promising me the additional points. It appears that this must happen often enough to have dedicated people and a well-worn set of procedures to handle it. Thanks for the tip!
Old May 18, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Got my points and will use the secure message method when it happens again
Old May 24, 2018, 9:45 pm

Personally, I think that anyone who has gotten points for Venetian/Palazzo should probably be considered lucky. Technically it is NOT an Intercontinental or IHG property. It is an ALLIANCE property, a wholly independent partner. Basically it's as if you got 5x points for all spend in the US, you go to the England and get only 1x. You ask for 5x points and send them a link to the State department's website indicating that England is a US ally. It was a marketing deal with a number of mutual benefits, but Alliance properties are a wholly different and unique animal. Venetian/Palazzo were the very first Alliance properties, and I believe so far they're still the only ones. The original partnership should be ending soon, as it was supposed to be for 10 years, I haven't heard if they're planning to renew.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:12 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by baroqen
Personally, I think that anyone who has gotten points for Venetian/Palazzo should probably be considered lucky. Technically it is NOT an Intercontinental or IHG property. It is an ALLIANCE property, a wholly independent partner.
Yet Chase/IHG have specifically included them in the T&Cs for the cards, so we most definitely should push to get the bonus points if they don’t post automatically. For the Premier card:

“You'll earn 10 points for each $1 spend on purchases made at InterContinental Hotels Group properties, including InterContinental® Hotels & Resorts, Intercontinental Alliance® Resorts...”
Old May 28, 2018, 12:32 am

Clearly I did not read the T&Cs. lol. Here's to the mud on my face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.