Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Premier 20% rebate for Points Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by blitzen
Their first offer was 6000 points as they could not refund me 20% ($80) which was totally unacceptable and only makes sense as if you would buy points $80 would get you 6000 (but I bought 40k and got 80% on top so 20% savings would be fictual $500 purchase as this would be $400 net > 90k points vs 72k at $400 = 18k difference equal 20% savings)
But as there were more problems with the points purchase I got more in the end (not mentioning the amount as it was not 100% related to 20% off only). Was less that I was hoping for but in the end not worth wasting more time over.
This is interesting. I recently purchased 70,000 points under the 100% bonus and was charged $700. I did not receive the $140 (20%) discount. I will email IHG. Has anyone else gotten any compensation by emailing them?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Here is my update.

I purchased 100,000 points before May 31st and received the 80,000 bonus points with that promotion.
After a few DM's back and forth with chase about the $200.00 I was due back on my point purchase and getting nowhere I just decided to online dispute the charge for a partial amount $200.00 of the $1000.00 I paid for the 180,000 points.

I received an nearly automatic credit/refund of $200.00 to my card and a letter saying that the dispute is with points.com for review, pretty standard.

I log into my IHG account tonight and see that 180,000 has been removed from my account. Wow!
I assume that the rest of the amount for the points purchase ($800.00) will automatically get credited back to my card

What a total shitshow.
Chase has really screwed this up and I know many are pissed.

I know I will have to call or dispute again to get the remainder ($800.00) back, oh joy.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:01 pm

IHG 20% discount on points and cash purchase points for .046

Got an email from IHG: Say hello to 20% savings towards your next getaway. Book: 9/13/18 – 9/20/18. Stay: 9/13/18 – 11/4/18, on points and cash stay. You can purchase points for .046 cents. Must have the Premier card

Last edited by lofu888; Sep 15, 2018 at 12:03 pm Reason: add detail
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:57 am

Looks like IHG has made the 20% a temporary offer only. I did get it one time on P&C before I had the card, when it was offered to everyone.

Then, with the card last spring, I bought a large amount up to the current maximum -- received nothing. Should have been $120 off.

The Chase site still says it's a benefit for holding the card, doesn't distinguish between the two modes of points purchase.

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi.../premier-perks

IHG just had it as a one week P&C offer only. Not as stated in the credit card offer from April.

Save 20% on Points Purchases
Save at least 20% on points purchases when you pay for those points with your IHG® Rewards Club Premier or Traveler Credit Cards. Point purchase amounts are subject to change by IHG® Rewards Club. These points are Non-Qualifying points and do not count towards Elite qualification. Upon completion of the points purchase, you agree that the total dollar amount of the points, minus the discount, will be immediately charged to your credit card. The cost for the points purchased is non-refundable. The 20% discount cannot be combined with any other points purchase offer. Point purchase transactions managed by Points.comOpens Overlay.

https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/de...ndcash-premier

The email I received Friday "get the most out of your Premier Card" doesn't mention it at all.

If I try to test the 20% through the Points.com portal it tells me "Sorry" -- that I've reached a limit. Thought I read something about them expanding the limit. Not that I'd want to...I get enough from stays, promos, and the occasional P&C discount offer.

And I just realized today that my rollover nights from this year's stays are going to be largely wasted going into 2020. Time to diversify.

Last edited by SEAfarer; Sep 25, 2018 at 10:59 am Reason: addition
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:20 pm

The new? terms and conditions say that the 20% rebate “cannot be combined with any other points purchase offer” which excludes IHG's regular bonus points sales. This 20% rebate is pretty worthless if you can only apply it to the sales of full price points. Might be worth it if you need points in a pinch.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
is the consensus that the 20% discount only apply to full priced points purchases? TIA.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: ______
Originally Posted by allanfan
is the consensus that the 20% discount only apply to full priced points purchases? TIA.
Yes, thats the consensus, making it a useless "perk" of the credit card

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.