Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4th Night Free using points

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Anyone been able to verify the double dip yet?
Yes, there have been some successful data points in FT for this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dadofsix
IHG elite status is not given to authorized user cardholders. Also, the 4th night free feature is only for Reward Nights - so the required points for 3 of the 4 nights would have to be in the primary cardholder's IHG account in order to book it.
Thanks !
Old Sep 8, 2018, 4:43 pm

Had two separate reservations, tried to cancel and combine then for the 4th night free. The award nights I had on one of them - never went back to inventory, so now I'm left holding the bag. What a ridiculous website.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Anyone been able to verify the double dip yet?
I just got both benefits on a Points Breaks stay.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm looking to utilize the 4th night free benefit. If you hold both the old IHG card ($49AF) and the new IHG card ($89AF), can you stack both anniversary nights and pay with points for the 3rd night to get the 4th night free?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by comeflywme
I'm looking to utilize the 4th night free benefit. If you hold both the old IHG card ($49AF) and the new IHG card ($89AF), can you stack both anniversary nights and pay with points for the 3rd night to get the 4th night free?
I would be really surprised if that would work, because I don't believe a free night is the same as a points night. Similarly, I doubt if you could use one of the free nights combined with two points nights to get the fourth night free. If you try any combination, please report the details and the success or failure of getting the fourth night free.
ARR72 and comeflywme like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by comeflywme
won't work. you need to book all 4 nights on points in a single reservation, then you will see 0 points for the 4th night.

anniversary nights are not points nights and they can only be booked 1 day at a time
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:58 pm

OK, I may be misunderstanding this program. I have a Chase IHG® Rewards Club card, which conveys Platinum Elite status. I'm trying to book a reservation for 4 nights, and it's not giving me at least one of the nights for free.
Is it limited to Spire status or something? Or limited in hotels? I am trying to Holiday Inn : Rome - Aurelia at 20k per night, so that should be a total of 60k points (3 nights at 20k, and 4th free), however, I am being billed for the full 80k. See link: https://imgur.com/aspqiKh
What am I doing wrong?
EDIT: I think I may have figured it out. I have the Select card ($49 AF, anniversary night annually) which I believe does not have the 4th night free benefit.

Last edited by rebelx; Jun 16, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rebelx
I think I may have figured it out. I have the Select card ($49 AF, anniversary night annually) which I believe does not have the 4th night free benefit.
Correct, the Select card does not have the 4th night free benefit.

It seems that many people have both the Select and the Premier cards, thus getting 10% rebate on redeemed points (Select card benefit) and 4th night free (Premier card benefit), as well as two free nights at hotels charging 40,000 or fewer points per night.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by serpens
Correct, the Select card does not have the 4th night free benefit.

It seems that many people have both the Select and the Premier cards, thus getting 10% rebate on redeemed points (Select card benefit) and 4th night free (Premier card benefit), as well as two free nights at hotels charging 40,000 or fewer points per night.
Yep. If you're in the IHG ecosystem, have the Select card, and aren't concerned about Chase's 5/24 rule, it's an absolute no-brainer to get the Premier, keep the Select (it was easy for me last year to ignore the 5000 point upgrade offer Chase/IHG made to me to move from the Select to the Premier, which I got with the 80,000 point bonus), and use the benefits from both cards. I get counter arguments, but those mostly rest on a traveler's dismissal of IHG as a program compared with other hotel programs. That's fine, but I see no disadvantage to keeping both cards if your travels make you an IHG regular anyway. Two free nights at hotels up to 40K for $138 per year is a great deal although not as great a deal as the old Select benefit at $49 per year that was uncapped.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Yep. If you're in the IHG ecosystem, have the Select card, and aren't concerned about Chase's 5/24 rule, it's an absolute no-brainer to get the Premier, keep the Select (it was easy for me last year to ignore the 5000 point upgrade offer Chase/IHG made to me to move from the Select to the Premier, which I got with the 80,000 point bonus), and use the benefits from both cards. I get counter arguments, but those mostly rest on a traveler's dismissal of IHG as a program compared with other hotel programs. That's fine, but I see no disadvantage to keeping both cards if your travels make you an IHG regular anyway. Two free nights at hotels up to 40K for $138 per year is a great deal although not as great a deal as the old Select benefit at $49 per year that was uncapped.
I am unfortunately lol/24, so I don't think I can get approved for any more Chase cards. Per TPG, looks like the Premier is subject to 5/24, no?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rebelx
I am unfortunately lol/24, so I don't think I can get approved for any more Chase cards. Per TPG, looks like the Premier is subject to 5/24, no?
Almost certain it is. I know I included 5/24 in my calculations. I was well below 5/24 when I got the Premier 13 months ago and saw nothing on the horizon with Chase that made me think I should be concerned about the effect of applying for the Premier. And for my purposes, I was right. I would not make the argument that the Premier is anywhere near Chase's best card, but as I mentioned, if 5/24 isn't or won't be a concern, it's a good card to get.
rebelx likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
I just got off phone on another dreaded call with an IHG Rep (I am Spire), and yet again was reminded of perhaps why I should not be giving them my money and allegiance.

Simple situation:
1) I made a 4 night reservation using points for 7/3-7/7 for 100K points, on my IHG World Card (Chase) where I get 10% back (rebated).
2) I just received my new IHG Premiere card in the mail today - Use points for 3 nights, get the 4th night free.

According to agent, there are now no "Free Night Rooms" available for those dates, so he cannot cancel my reservation and rebook it using my new card.
.....But if they cancel my "Free Night" reservation, wouldn't that immediately free up a "Free Night" reservation for the same nights?????

So I called the hotel and changed the credit card on my reservation to my new card. I also updated my profile to the new card.
.... now I am worried I will not get even the 10% back.

Any advice? Are there any IHG customer service agents that monitor this forum, or are helpful for a situation like this?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I just got off phone on another dreaded call with an IHG Rep (I am Spire), and yet again was reminded of perhaps why I should not be giving them my money and allegiance.

Simple situation:
1) I made a 4 night reservation using points for 7/3-7/7 for 100K points, on my IHG World Card (Chase) where I get 10% back (rebated).
2) I just received my new IHG Premiere card in the mail today - Use points for 3 nights, get the 4th night free.

According to agent, there are now no "Free Night Rooms" available for those dates, so he cannot cancel my reservation and rebook it using my new card.
.....But if they cancel my "Free Night" reservation, wouldn't that immediately free up a "Free Night" reservation for the same nights?????

So I called the hotel and changed the credit card on my reservation to my new card. I also updated my profile to the new card.
.... now I am worried I will not get even the 10% back.

Any advice? Are there any IHG customer service agents that monitor this forum, or are helpful for a situation like this?
Both of these benefits only require that you have the card, not that you use it for the reservation. So you should definitely get the 10% back as long as you keep the 1st card open. As for the 4th night free, that card needs to be open at time of reservation for that benefit to kick in. If there are still award nights you can make a new reservation. If not, it is apparently no guarantee that canceled award space will be available again.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Thanks. I applied and was approved for the card on 6/19. I made the reservation on 6/22. I received the card in the mail today (7/1).
Even today, I still don't see any option for "4th night free" while booking with points. It takes me right to the last page before I commit.... and does not show any discount on the total points, as others are reporting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.