Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

After a shooting at a Holiday Inn, should guests be compensated for the lock-down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

After a shooting at a Holiday Inn, should guests be compensated for the lock-down?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 3:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Just to play devil's advocate:

The hotel has a duty of care and a contract to provide accommodation and (legal term of art next) undisturbed enjoyment. Implicit in the contract is safety. They have not provided undisturbed enjoyment and arguably failed on the safety front. Why were the guests rousted from their beds? Why could it not wait until the morning? Why did the police feel a need to detain all guests and why did the hotel agree and enable the police behaviour?

Getting everyone out of bed and detaining them was purely a convenience for the police. The hotel acted on behalf of the police. The hotel is liable for that inconvenience, just as the hotel is liable for providing a safe environment for guests and is, by law and fact, responsible for the hotel itself and surrounding grounds. Asking for a discount on the bill at checkout is not completely unreasonable.
This was Force Majeure.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:19 am

If I was the guest in that situation I'd probably just be thankful I got out unhurt and would be looking to thank the local police for dealing with the situation quickly and effectively. I probably would strike that particular property off my list for the future though for the obvious reason but would probably leave it at that although I'd also make sure friends, colleagues etc knew what had happened if they were going to the area in the future.

If I were the GM of the hotel I'd probably write to/email all the affected guests apologising for the situation and assure them that it's a highly irregular thing to happen. I'd also just comp the night for everyone and put in the usual please let me know when you are next staying at the hotel and I will ensure you are well looked after etc etc blurb.

From a management point of view I'd rather lose a days revenue and try and retain the guests for the future than do nothing. There should also be an official IHG Crisis Management Policy which directs properties on how they should deal with events such as this.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrism20
If I was the guest in that situation I'd probably just be thankful I got out unhurt and would be looking to thank the local police for dealing with the situation quickly and effectively. I probably would strike that particular property off my list for the future though for the obvious reason but would probably leave it at that although I'd also make sure friends, colleagues etc knew what had happened if they were going to the area in the future.

If I were the GM of the hotel I'd probably write to/email all the affected guests apologising for the situation and assure them that it's a highly irregular thing to happen. I'd also just comp the night for everyone and put in the usual please let me know when you are next staying at the hotel and I will ensure you are well looked after etc etc blurb.

From a management point of view I'd rather lose a days revenue and try and retain the guests for the future than do nothing. There should also be an official IHG Crisis Management Policy which directs properties on how they should deal with events such as this.
Sounds well-balanced.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:25 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

To avoid that this thread is becoming "Omni-like", I am going to close thie thread.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.