IHG Acquires Regent Hotels, IC Hong Kong being re-branded in 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
IHG Acquires Regent Hotels, IC Hong Kong being re-branded in 2021

Saw this in my news feed ...

https://www.ihgplc.com/en/news-and-m...xury-footprint

InterContinental Hotels Group ("IHG") [LON:IHG, NYSE:IHG (ADRs)] today announces that it has agreed to acquire a 51% stake in Regent Hotels and Resorts (“Regent”) for $39 million in cash. IHG will have the right to acquire the remaining 49% interest in a phased manner from 2026.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: IHG
Not exactly overwhelming news. Looks like IC HK was a Regent prior to being an IC. A tiny footprint, and most of their existing locations appear to have an IC there too. What's the point?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Such a small footprint hope they don't re-brand to many of the best IC's unless RA / Ambassador status will recognised by them.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:27 am

I can't see what's in this for RA, but then perhaps it's not aimed at us. More expensive than IC, but fewer benefits. For example, The Regent Berlin doesn't have a Club Lounge..
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
That would have been my first guess after the rumors , but I thought the brand was acquired by Carlson not too long ago. . .?
​​
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by turner32
I can't see what's in this for RA, but then perhaps it's not aimed at us. More expensive than IC, but fewer benefits. For example, The Regent Berlin doesn't have a Club Lounge..
I don't think the benefits to an RA where part of their consideration to buy the majority stake. As they have said....they want to expand their reach into higher-end hotels.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I don't think the benefits to an RA where part of their consideration to buy the majority stake. As they have said....they want to expand their reach into higher-end hotels.

As I said above, maybe it isn't aimed at us. Then again, what's the point of buying a brand, if you don't plan on developing it through your existing clients?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Isn’t IHG acquiring a bit too much at the moment, like some greedy airlines (think SR)? I was also wondering what happened to this new brand they’ve invented, Avid (which makes me think of the music writing software I use).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
That's the big news? 6 properties and they are going to reflag one of the premier ICs to become a Regent again? Plus this doesn't plug any of the gaping holes in IHG luxury options in many prime destinations.

Wow, what an earthshattering coup by the CEO.
submonte likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
In the article, it states that IHG plans to increase the Regent brand footprint to 40 hotels in the future. As noted, the IC Hong Kong is to be re-branded. I wonder if this might involve re-branding some other ICs.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by MXM135
In the article, it states that IHG plans to increase the Regent brand footprint to 40 hotels in the future. As noted, the IC Hong Kong is to be re-branded. I wonder if this might involve re-branding some other ICs.
I hope they don't re-brand to many IC's unless the new brand will be incorporated in to the ambassador program some how otherwise it will be a big snub from IHG to there top tier members, the ICHK is one of the most popular hotels in the IC brand.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MXM135
Not many ICs in my mind can be reflagged into Regent...Maybe some hotels from W, JW Marriott, Conrad, Raffles...hotels can become a target for reflagging? Come to think about it, only few ICs like the Willard, Barclays, le Grand can be potentially converted to Regent, then there are Ruijin Shanghai, the Strings in Tokyo could have the potential. I think they will target competitors for new signs if they want to achieve 40 properties in a relatively short time.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Note that, of the 6 hotels, one (Singapore) is actually managed by Four Seasons!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by turner32
A tiny footprint, and most of their existing locations appear to have an IC there too. What's the point?
Taipei doesn't have an IC, but has Regent. I'd say it's a very nice development.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:08 am

At one time Four Seasons owned the Regent brand but sold it to Carlson (at the same time the Carlson sisters basically owned the company). Carlson also owned Radisson Seven Seas Cruises which was re-branded Regent Cruises to line up with the (then) luxury brand Regent Hotels. In later years Regent Cruises was sold off to Apollo and The Regent hotel brand was also sold off. Although the Regent brand has been allowed to stagnate it does have a history as a luxury brand and I assume IHG hopes to rebuild it as such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.