Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Acquires Regent Hotels, IC Hong Kong being re-branded in 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2020, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by khabah
IHG recently released a new development presentation with a few Regent-specific slides, and it seems like they've been working on defining the Regent experience. Some examples of what they have planned at a brand standard level include:
  • Regent is being positioned in the same class and a direct competitor to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, Peninsula, Rosewood and Four Seasons brands.
  • Rooms must be designed with distinct zones for sleeping, dressing, relaxing and bathing. Rooms must be an absolute minimum of 37 square meters to be admitted to the Regent fold, and preferable above 45.
  • All rooms will contain an extensive minibar called the Refreshment Gallery, and it is to contain snacks, non-alcoholic and alcoholic beverages - and not only is it complimentary, but it is restocked daily.
  • Three pieces of laundry and three pieces of pressing - all complimentary - are to be offered daily.
  • A butler-/concierge-style service called the Regent Experience Agent who acts as a single point of contact to guests who works to customize hotel experiences based on guest needs. REAs are also meant to work with personal assistants of high-roller guests in order to provide tailored stays and going above and beyond to get guests what they want, when they want it.
  • A new brand experience called the Taste Studio, which is a pop-up event that rotates and changes to offer guests creative new edible creations and showcase the respective property's dining capabilities.
I'm happy to see work done to define the Regent brand and up its luxury ante, and I particularly like how they're presenting 'luxury' as a product that doesn't nickel and dime you as well trying to personalize it as much as possible. I came across a new site for the upcoming Regent Phu Quoc, and it mentions all of the above mentioned points as well as details of their Regent Club experience for guests who book into club-level rooms. Inclusions of the club offering are:
  • Round-trip transfers from the airport in the hotel's Range Rover
  • All-day alcohol and snacks, including champagne
  • Early check-in and late check-out
  • Customizable food offerings and special menus all day
  • 24-hour butler service
  • Special experiences and rituals for club guests
  • Private rooftop infinity pool at the Regent Club lounge
The Phu Quoc property looks stellar in general, with massive rooms starting at 78 square meters and immaculate grounds. Seeing this kind of thought going into creating a luxurious experience gives me hope that IHG is taking the Regent brand seriously, and will push it to succeed this time after its repeated failures to launch under previous owners.

Now if only they'd expedite its pipeline: they've only got five hotels planned between now and 2023 [Phu Quoc, Bali, Jakarta, Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur] and they're all in Asia. I'd like to see them announce a conversion of a high-profile InterContinental in Europe or North America [IC London and IC The Willard in Washington DC have been suggested as candidates] or new project soon.

khabah
Great data Khabah, very interesting and agree the new sector definition would be excellent.

Re Phu Quoc. I think that one might be in question. Was there late 2019 a couple weeks at the IC and you can see the Regent development. it is literally next door (meters) from the IC and the left as you approach it.

It is indeed signed out front as a development for Regent. But I think this was slated prior to the IHG purchase. I forget precisely who, but it was mentioned to me that this 'could' be re-designated as another IHG brand since the acquisition. I think from memory HI Resort was mentioned although the layout hinted at nothing of the sort.

But to have a Regent literally next door to the IC would be odd. Unless of course the IC would be dropped off to another chain? Has happened before with a new development .... Westminster about 5 odd years back.

Somewhere I have a pile of photos of the development which I will dig out. Even back then, the core infrastructure was well developed.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 3:39 am

I was going through IHGs Q1 2020 results presentation, and noticed the following details in their Regent pipeline:

- Americas: 4 hotels / 664 rooms
- EMEAA: 1 hotel / 280 rooms
- Greater China: 5 hotels / 944 rooms

I wonder what all these properties are? I dont trust that pipelines accuracy, because the current pipeline of known properties includes the following:

- Phu Quoc [EMEAA] - 2020
- Bali [EMEAA] - 2021
- Hong Kong [GC] - 2022
- Jakarta [EMEAA] - 2022
- Chengdu [GC] - 2023
- Kuala Lumpur [EMEAA] - 2023

...which means the EMEAA pipeline includes 4 hotels and two in Greater China rather than 1 and 5 respectively. IHG hasnt mentioned any upcoming properties in the Americas either, so I wonder what this includes? Surely the Regent-branded residence-only project in Boston doesnt count.

khabah
I also saw this somewhere ..... maybe related to the development you mention in Bali. I kept the link which suggests it was from a credible person but cannot see where/how....

https://coconuts.co/bali/news/local-...opment-canggu/
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Regent Residences

The Regent brand is poised to expand to exclusive residences in the most dynamic cities and awe-inspiring resort destinations around the world.
Today IHG has over 25 luxury residences, comprised of a mixture of urban and resort locations spanning the globe across Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas, Regent Hotels & Resorts, InterContinental Hotels & Resorts and Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants brands, with more future openings planned.

Brochure
Old Dec 29, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Regent Hallmarks and Brand Requirements

R E G E N T H A L L M A R K S

P E R S O N A L H A V E N S
Beautifully inviting and private, generous spaces in guest rooms, the Oasis Bathroom, lobby and outdoor spaces. Through techenabled connectivity and an instant service or call signal, Personal Havens are customised with individual choices. Examples of customisation are bespoke food and drink, scent, music, literature and bath menus, enabling each Regent hotel to provide the luxury of personalized spaces to inspire indulgent moments.

T H E R E G E N T E X P E R I E N C E A G E N T

The Regent Experience Agent is a single point of contact for both guests (hotel, restaurant, and meeting patrons) and their Personal Assistants. A revolutionized hotel position, the Experience Agent works with guests and/or their Personal Assistants to anticipate needs and curate experiences. Guests may choose to communicate in-person or via a technology platform. The Experience Agent is empowered to make anything happen, even if it falls outside of a traditional hotel purview

W I T H C O M P L I M E N T S

Luxury should not be about small surcharges but rather about ensuring an uplifting experience. This Regent hallmark introduces a new benchmark in luxury hospitality where services such as laundry for gym kits, first pressing and mini-bar are included as a matter of course and filling of forms are eliminated for a frictionless experience.

T H E T A S T E S T U D I O
The Taste Studio is a pop-up, interactive and multi-sensory dining experience. Inspired and influenced by art, performance, music, design, and fashion, the Regent Taste Studio goes beyond fine dining to become an incubator for creative talent and a showcase of culinary excellence.

B R A N D R E Q U I R E M E N T S & G U E S T R O O M K E Y Z O N E S

N U M B E R O F K E Y S
100-300

P O S I T I O N I N G
Luxury/Full service

S T A N D A R D R O O M A V G . G R O S S
A Min. 45 m2
Note: Guest rooms must be a minimum of 37 m2

S U I T E T Y P E S
Junior, Executive, Regent Suite, Presidential

R E S T A U R A N T A N D B A R
All-day dining and bar, Specialty restaurant – Market specific

G Y M
4 Zone Gym, with wet experience, grooming & relaxation

P O O L
Min. 105 m2 SPA Required

Brochure
Old Dec 29, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Atacama40
Great data Khabah, very interesting and agree the new sector definition would be excellent.

Re Phu Quoc. I think that one might be in question. Was there late 2019 a couple weeks at the IC and you can see the Regent development. it is literally next door (meters) from the IC and the left as you approach it.

It is indeed signed out front as a development for Regent. But I think this was slated prior to the IHG purchase. I forget precisely who, but it was mentioned to me that this 'could' be re-designated as another IHG brand since the acquisition. I think from memory HI Resort was mentioned although the layout hinted at nothing of the sort.

But to have a Regent literally next door to the IC would be odd. Unless of course the IC would be dropped off to another chain? Has happened before with a new development .... Westminster about 5 odd years back.

Somewhere I have a pile of photos of the development which I will dig out. Even back then, the core infrastructure was well developed.
Regent Phu Quoc is definitely happening, they've just held a job fair in HCMC last month.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
Regent Phu Quoc is definitely happening, they've just held a job fair in HCMC last month.
Interesting. And indeed just had that confirmed from an insider. You absolutely right.

Will be interesting if the IC remains an IC in the mid term. Hard to see how next door to each other .... a little up coast maybe.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Interesting. And indeed just had that confirmed from an insider. You absolutely right.

Will be interesting if the IC remains an IC in the mid term. Hard to see how next door to each other .... a little up coast maybe.
I don't see a problem there. Those are two distinctive brands.
We see that in other locations, too. Some accor hotels are even in the same building, Marriott Properties on cancun for example are next to each other.
Could also lower management cost.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
I don't see a problem there. Those are two distinctive brands.
We see that in other locations, too. Some accor hotels are even in the same building, Marriott Properties on cancun for example are next to each other.
Could also lower management cost.
We often see clusters of IC, CP and HI's within the same IHG development footprint which from a management and price point make sense. The distance between those tiers sort of works and as you say even in the same building could work. But IC & Regent literally meters away sounds odd.

Hey lets see .... from what I saw some months back it was 2nd, 3rd fix and then green light. And one of the other posters mentioned that they were in recruitment phase so it's happening one way or another.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I was going through IHGs Q1 2020 results presentation, and noticed the following details in their Regent pipeline:

- Americas: 4 hotels / 664 rooms
- EMEAA: 1 hotel / 280 rooms
- Greater China: 5 hotels / 944 rooms

I wonder what all these properties are? I dont trust that pipelines accuracy, because the current pipeline of known properties includes the following:

- Phu Quoc [EMEAA] - 2020
- Bali [EMEAA] - 2021
- Hong Kong [GC] - 2022
- Jakarta [EMEAA] - 2022
- Chengdu [GC] - 2023
- Kuala Lumpur [EMEAA] - 2023

...which means the EMEAA pipeline includes 4 hotels and two in Greater China rather than 1 and 5 respectively. IHG hasnt mentioned any upcoming properties in the Americas either, so I wonder what this includes? Surely the Regent-branded residence-only project in Boston doesnt count.

khabah
I think you're reading the table from the results presentation incorrectly. On the table for 30 September 2020, the numbers by brand are above the sub-total for the region. So the pipeline is:
Americas 0
EMEAA 4
Greater China 1

I doubt that Hong Kong is included in these as it is a brand conversion (and there's normally a separate table in the results showing the conversions). If that's the case, the pipeline exactly matches your list.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
According to IHG's report on results through 12/31/20, IHG signed four Regent properties and has a pipeline of six hotels [one in Greater China, the other five in EMEAA]. Shanghai was their seventh addition, and this year's opening in Phu Quoc will be number eight. Apparently they also signed their first Middle East property in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia [as yet unannounced - I wish IHG would do a better job announcing hotels].

Upcoming Regent Hotels:
  • Bali
  • Chengdu
  • Hong Kong
  • Jakarta
  • Jeddah
  • Kuala Lumpur

khabah

Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:07 pm

IHG launched a selection of online development symposia for several of their brands across several months this year, and they had one for Regent and InterContinental yesterday. I signed up for it and listened in, as I have a deep emotional connection to the Regent brand and have always looked up to it since I was a child.

These presentations are pitched towards prospective owners and those interested in the brands, and covered the history of both brands, design approaches, service hallmarks and planned expansions. I'll share some of the Regent highlights for the relevance of this thread:
  • IHG is cognizant of Regent's history as a pioneer in the luxury space, and is working very hard to respect and preserve that spirit
  • They are positioning the brand towards younger luxury travelers in their 30s - people who associate themselves with brands as Bentley and Patek Philippe, who do not chase status as luxury is a way of life for them - which is a lower age demographic than competitors as Four Seasons, St. Regis and The Peninsula
  • The design of their hotels will feature neutral backdrops, but with furniture and accents in vibrant colors and prints as well as extravagant items as detail/statement pieces
  • Service is going to be highly personalized and targeted towards the "personal assistant" level; they gave an illustrative example of a family arriving at Regent Phu Quoc, and how the hotel's Regent Experience Agent [a new single-point-of-contact position that coordinates with PAs, travel coordinators, concierges and guests themselves to individually tailor guests' stays] coordinates pre-arrival with their travel advisor who communicates that the parents want to start diving the moment they arrive and they want their kids to engage in immersive experiences, so they are collected from the airport in the hotel's Range Rover, offered an in-villa check-in and are informed that a catamaran is docked and waiting for them should they be ready to dive. The kids are whisked away to the Taste Studio, Regent's new pop-up dining facility that works with rising local talent to create new food concepts. When everyone is done with their activities, the family is immediately presented with complimentary drinks in their villa shortly after their return: the wife is offered a glass of a rare red wine, the husband a Phu Quoc peppercorn G&T and the kids mocktail versions of the above - preferences all shared prior between the Regent Experience Agent and their PA.
  • Laundry, pressing and minibars will all be included; Regent is eliminating the "nickel and dime" aspect of luxury hotels where everything is an add-on, and presenting it to guests included in the price they are paying to stay
  • They are still rolling out the new brand image and concept; this includes the new logo, as well as prints that are localized to each hotel and used everywhere from stationary to umbrellas. Shanghai was the first to feature this as it was the first property to open under Regent's new IHG ownership, and Chongqing will be relaunched in the coming weeks. Phu Quoc will feature this as well since IHG has had the time to retool the hotel before it opens on August 16th this year, as will all other new properties going forward.
  • The forthcoming pipeline has been updated and includes: Phu Quoc (2021), Hong Kong (2022), Bali (2022), Jakarta (2022), Chengdu (2022) and Kuala Lumpur (2023). Further properties are currently under exploration in Europe and North America, and will be shared in due course. No mention of the Jeddah hotel referred to in the FY2020 results. They're pulling out all the stops with the Hong Kong hotel as it was originally a Regent and became emblematic for the group, and as such will be positioned as the flagship for the entire brand.
All in all, I'm thrilled to see that IHG is so far giving the Regent brand the love it lacked under previous owners like Four Seasons [who poached several upcoming flagship Regent properties and positioned them under their own brand - i.e. New York, Milan, Bali at Jimbaran Bay] and Carlson [where the brand got lost and went "into hibernation"]. I want to see more hotels announced as soon as possible to at least get them up to an open/pipeline of 20 hotels as opposed to the current 13, and to generate momentum around it.

khabah
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:03 am

According to IHG's Q2 results report, yet another Regent has been signed for China: Regent Shenzhen Bay.

At this point, Regent is becoming the next Hualuxe.

khabah
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to IHG's Q2 results report, yet another Regent has been signed for China: Regent Shenzhen Bay.

At this point, Regent is becoming the next Hualuxe.

khabah
😅
I never stayed at any Hualuxe property, but some look very nice and could definitely be Regent or InterContinental hotels.

I dont know if this brand is a success, or even if the concept of a Chinese brand for the Chinese is a valid concept, but as it has been developed when the current CEO was head of China, I dont think the brand would disappear before some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.