Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton Ink48 New York City Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Kimpton Ink48 New York City Master Thread

Stay Report - 2/10 - 2/11

Location: The hotel is located on the corner of 48th Street and 11th Avenue. This puts it a little far from the typical New York touristy neighborhoods which means it's nice and quiet. You can also walk to a large number of restaurants on 10th Avenue. Be advised the nearest subway station (50th Street and 8th Avenue on the C and E lines) is about .6 miles away. That said, it was no trouble getting an Uber and the hotel will help you get a cab.

Hotel: Not much to look at on the outside, but it's gorgeous on the inside. The lobby has a pair of nice sitting areas including one where they do the nightly wine Happy Hour, a bar and a restaurant. There's also another restaurant and bar on the 16th Floor for which I recommend getting a reservation.

Check In: We were able to get into our room at 12:30 PM which was a big plus. The check in agent was friendly and helpful and explained that we'd get a $15 minibar credit for being IHG Platinum.

Room: We received a corner King on the 7th floor which was very lovely. The bed was quite comfortable and there were outlets on both sides. The bathroom was also nice and having windows in there was a nice touch. Obviously as this is New York there was some noise pollution so if you are sensitive to this earplugs might not be a bad idea. The $15 minibar credit got us one split of Proseco with $3 left over which isn't worth much.

Other: We had brunch in the lobby restaurant where the service, menu selections and food were all very impressive.

I used a Chase CC free night here and was glad I did. The hotel is a nice place to stay and a credit to the Kimpton chain. I'd gladly be back.
Coathanger likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Great write up! I'm having my first ever Kimpton stay as I type this, and I must say they've made me feel like an Inner Circle guest (or at least IC-lite).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Under the legacy Kimpton program, this was my favorite of the properties. The worst upgrade I received was to a City View Spa King and most of the times, I was given a Hudson River View Suite which is huge and has amazing views.

They used to give really good welcome amenities to Inner Circle members, but the last few I received were pathetic. Despite being a little off the beaten path, there's some good places to eat a few blocks away at Gotham West (Ivan Ramen, for example), Underwest Donuts, and Sullivan Street Bakery. Good Thai food can be found on 8th Avenue. The M50 bus can be used to connect from the NY Subway and there's also a bus from the 39th St Pier of NY Waterways if you take the ferry.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had a fantastic 7-hour stay there once. Long story, got to the hotel at 2:30am, was sick as a dog from something I ate in London so I cancelled my meeting at our office and flew out at 1pm instead.

I was upgraded to a Hudson River View Suite which was larger than my first apartment. The bathroom was insanely huge and the shower was exactly what I needed after a transatlantic flight.

I don't stay there for work because Koreatown is a haul from there and I like the Everly as well. But for a leisure stay, I'd definitely go back.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I stayed there for one night in early March and loved it. I've never stayed at a Kimpton before and was very impressed. I booked a "deluxe" room and thought I'd treat myself; when I got there, I asked for a high-up room with a view. The only one they had available in that room category was an "accessible" room, which honestly has zero difference from a regular room, but the bathroom was literally the size of most hotel rooms in NYC. There was so much space! I'm an IHG Platinum through the credit card, so I received the minibar credit as well, and they also offered a $30 credit toward any service in their spa, though I didn't take advantage of it.

A few additional notes:
-there's no coffee maker in the room; you have to phone down to ask for one
-they have a complimentary wine tasting from 5-6pm, which was lovely
-I love their lobby "lounge" - it's great for sipping said glass of wine and getting some work done
-I really enjoyed the Press Lounge, which is the rooftop restaurant, but it's not actually affiliated with the hotel - i.e. you can't charge food to your room to earn points on it, and it won't code as 5x on the credit card.
-I second that the location isn't ideal for most of NYC; for me, though, it was perfect: it's within walking distance of a number of off-Broadway theatres, such as the Signature Theatre Center, two blocks away from the Intrepid museum, and a 10 minute walk to the Hoboken ferry (which was relevant to me since I was attending a conference there).
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Glad you enjoyed your first Kimpton stay; you picked a nice property.

Kimptons rarely put a Keurig in the room unless you ask for it ahead of time or at check in. Free wine hour from 5-6 pm is also a standard offering at Kimpton properties. Finally, for those using the NY Waterway Ferry service to/from NJ and don't want to make the walk, there is a free bus to/from the 39th St. ferry terminal with stops 1-2 blocks from the hotel. Bus Stops & Schedules
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Glad you enjoyed your first Kimpton stay; you picked a nice property.

Kimptons rarely put a Keurig in the room unless you ask for it ahead of time or at check in. Free wine hour from 5-6 pm is also a standard offering at Kimpton properties. Finally, for those using the NY Waterway Ferry service to/from NJ and don't want to make the walk, there is a free bus to/from the 39th St. ferry terminal with stops 1-2 blocks from the hotel. Bus Stops & Schedules
Good to know that I chose a good one! I was going to stay at a a relatively cheap but well-reviewed La Quinta, and decided to treat myself to a Kimpton at the last minute. I picked this one for the sole reason that their bonus points package rate was exactly $300 (and some cents) so I could use the Amex Offer. What a lucky choice!

I didn't know about the bus, but honestly, I prefer to walk in the mornings, especially if the day is sunny - it helps me wake up and meet the day. It's not a long walk, and I find the bike/walk trail along the water quite lovely.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:55 pm
SBT

Great Hotel. Anyone charge their stay and use your IHG Mastercard? If so, did you receive bonus points for each dollar charged? If you registered for the accelerate program and one of your tasks was to charge a stay using your IHG Mastercard did you received your bonus?
Old May 6, 2018, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by SBT
Great Hotel. Anyone charge their stay and use your IHG Mastercard? If so, did you receive bonus points for each dollar charged? If you registered for the accelerate program and one of your tasks was to charge a stay using your IHG Mastercard did you received your bonus?
I stayed here recently and paid for the room rate with my Amex (to take advantage of the Amex offer), but put incidentals on the IHG card. I did receive the bonus points for those incidentals (it was about a $3 minibar credit, but yes, those counted as a 10x IHG purchase). It did also trigger the Accelerate "pay with your IHG card" task. As a side note, though, their rooftop bar/lounge is actually separate from the hotel in that you can't charge anything from it to the room, and it will come up as a 2x points dining purchase on your card. But anything you charge to the room will trigger the 10x IHG points.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: Korean Air Morning Calm, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus and IHG Spire Ambassador
Despite being an IHG Plat, I had to obtain the suite upgrade the hard way by using the Kimpton secret pass-phrase ("Out of office") and then had to pick among 4 rubber ducks which are each assigned different perks (e.g. dining credit, free movie, etc.). My girlfriend somehow scored the duck which granted us the suite upgrade from the standard king. We went up to find a suite which was perfect for couples. The layout had different areas for shower, bath, twin sinks and sitting. The best part was that the tub faces the amazing the city view. We should've took the rubber duckies with us!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I've had one of the Hudson view suite upgrades (as a mere Gold ), and it was amazing. The Ceilings were incredibly high, and I had a balcony. Wasn't quite the weather to read a book looking over the river, but had good views during the snowstorm earlier this year.

The staff are all wonderful too. If you stay again: Ask the concierge for Stephen's famous list of local restaurants: one of the staff has lived in that area of NYC all his life and has a continuously updated list of places to dine. If you ask nicely, they can print it or email it to you.

Only downside for me is it's a little further walk from the subway station than other IHG hotels in NYC.
Finance_underling likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any recent stays here? I’m headed to NYC for Memorial Day weekend for a Seats of Honor dedication ceremony aboard the Intrepid for my Dad.

I had already booked a room for myself at the St. Regis using points, but 2 of my cousins will now be coming for this event. They are not frequent travelers and won’t have status/points (I don’t have status with IHG either, but used to be Inner Circle and do like Kimpton properties) but my cousins were looking at Ink48 due to its proximity to the Intrepid (and the rooftop bar).

My chief concern is recent reviews on TripAdvisor, etc. mention construction noise in the morning and a club that blasts loud music till 3 am. Anyone have a recent experience to weigh in?
Old May 29, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Stay over Memorial Day Wknd

First time staying overnight at Ink48. I originally booked a standard King (via Chase IHG anniversary night) and was upgraded to a wonderful City View Studio King (via IHG Platinum Elite status). I also mentioned the Kimpton 'secret social password' (upon check-in) and was granted free valet parking (normally $65+tax). Didn't get a chance to check out the wine HH (5-6pm) bc we were out exploring, but we did grab coffee the following morning during Coffee Bar hours (630-9am), to pair with some excellent NY bagels from The Jolly Goat Coffee Bar down the street. Being a Plat member also gave me a $15 'Raid the Mini-Bar' credit, as well as early check-in, late check-out. Your key card will give you VIP access to PRESS, so you don't have to wait in the ridiculous line. The $25 guest amenity fee includes a $10 mini-bar credit. They also offer free custom designed PUBLIC bike rentals. Overall, a GREAT STAY. TY for the experience!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
It would appear that this property has left Kimpton.
Single_Flyer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by bcosinteno
It would appear that this property has left Kimpton.
You must also get a certain deals newsletter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.